Unseen damaged eBay purchase roadtrip (+ bonus spots)

Spottedlaurel

My fondness for the Toyota Camry will come as no surprise to some of you. I think the '90s models in particular are fantastic old things. I was very close to buying a V6 estate just before Christmas but it didn't work out. I've kept a very close eye on listings for them and became interested in this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0597061895

!!tYcUdwEG0~$(KGrHqUOKpQE0U0uCNQBBNHHDo(LFg~~_12.JPG

When it was first listed there were no photos, so the low mileage, one owner from new and price of £400 did seem particularly attractive. When the rather fuzzy images were added it explained the price, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for it. The damage looked superficial enough, and I have an estate of this generation just itching to donate some parts to something, might be worth going for?

Trouble is, Gloucester isn't really very local to Norfolk. Only way to get it would be go down and buy it, without much of a fallback option for getting home if it all went bad. Gave the trader a ring, it was still MoTed and the damage not declared and he said it was mechanically OK and held water. Checked I could insure it as a classic and get a train down there OK, so agreed a price of £350 and send him a deposit.

Last Saturday morning woke up at 2.40am, looking forward to the day but wondering why I was about to buy an unseen car with damage and attempt to drive it 170 miles home in the middle of January. Train journey down very uneventful and I'm in Gloucester at 10.10am. Anxious to be there early enough to get it taxed.

He arrives at the station and it looks better than I imagined. had an interesting drive around some of the less salubrious parts of Gloucester while he did a few deals on the phone and we went and picked up an Audi estate. He's keen not to let it stop running though, as it hasn't been run for a while and it needed jump starting. Hmmm...

Obviously, while I'm trundling around I'm not going to miss the opportunity for a spot or two. This one OAP owner from new Micra was tidy:

5358987263_324627a532_b.jpg

1987 Nissan Micra 1.0SGL 5dr (K10) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

This 4wd 626 estate was amazing, must be super-rare:

5359601382_5605b4f6d8_b.jpg

1991 Mazda 626 2.2GLX 4wd estate by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

So, having had a similar battery experience on the Camry Sport I bought a year or so back, I was wary about driving it back with a duff battery. I knew there was a Motorworld place I'd pass by (already planned a stop there to buy some bulbs), so parked up and turned off. Of course it didn't start again, so I splash out for a new battery and fit that with the tools in the boot.

5366441517_f37138d013_b.jpg

Repaired damage close-up by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Good news is up until that point it was driving nicely. So I set to with the cable ties, gaffer tape and sticky-back plastic (really) I'd taken down with me. Refitted the grille so it looked a bit more like a real car, then set off through the Cotswolds.

5364396286_e119df1c5a_b.jpg

1992 Toyota Camry 2.2GL Project Car (Pt 1) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Lunchbreak, where conveniently this Orion was parked:

5359600894_4f3338a6bf_b.jpg

1988 Ford Orion 1.6LX by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Camry was driving great, just as quick as my Sport.

5367054560_7c4e8a6848_b.jpg

1992 Toyota Camry dashboard - a model of clarity by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Gauges all where they should be, and mileage less than the ad said.

5366441831_85b441f3f3_b.jpg

1992 Toyota Camry 2.2GL (Pt 3) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Back end rather tidier than the front. Some scuffs, but as these are big old cars and the rear end is nigh-on invisible it has mercifully few of the dinks and scratches expected from a car with suspected elderly owners.

5367053856_552839f912_b.jpg

Teabreak on the A44 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Tea. Very welcome.

5366441671_7f3ba1d4f3_b.jpg

Camry 2.2 engine bay by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The 2.2 4-pot in these has a comic amount of space around it, look how easy it is to reach the oil filter, starter and alternator. Great engine, loads of torque, decent on fuel and without any known issues (I'm on my third now).

5367053988_a7b1027f33_b.jpg

Donor meets Patient by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Finally back home. Took less than 4 hours across country, no motorways, and the car never missed a beat.

All in all, a very satisfying and successful day out. At £350 it wasn't a bargain, but a dead V6 spares car near me that I'd been trying to acquire went for £310 last week and its value probably isn't much above what it would break/scrap for. I'll use it and try and make it a bit more presentable for minimal cost until MoT time, then see what else is needed before I consider paintwork etc. Kind of duplicates what the Sport does, and I really want a V6 or another estate at some point, so one of them might have to go but it'll be a bit of fun in the meantime. With the mileage this one has done it's got a huge amount of life left in it yet - the estate had done 203k when it came off the road.

Thanks.

2.2 is the 4-cyl, which is what I've had several of. V6 is a rather smooth and potent 3-litre, had a drive in one last year. That's what goes into the MR2, apparently not overly difficult, but sadly it imposes a relatively high value on any V6 which comes up for sale (Woodsport chap will pay £500 for a decent engine, and he's not worried about the HGF which that unit suffers as he replaces them as a matter of course). V6 bolts onto the MR2's manual 'box, which makes me wonder whether one would bolt onto the 2.2 manual transmission...

Hey nice work SL!! Great to see you're out there getting a bit of shiteing in from time to time.

That Maz 626 is a bit of alright!! Gr8 spots.

Must admit I wish I'd got a better photo of the 626, or even chatted to the old guy driving it. From the drive I had in that 4wd 626 hatchback last year I think it'd make a very interesting and satisfying old bus.

Shiter's life continues here, just don't get much PC time/inclination.

Thanks.

2.2 is the 4-cyl, which is what I've had several of. V6 is a rather smooth and potent 3-litre, had a drive in one last year. That's what goes into the MR2, apparently not overly difficult, but sadly it imposes a relatively high value on any V6 which comes up for sale (Woodsport chap will pay £500 for a decent engine, and he's not worried about the HGF which that unit suffers as he replaces them as a matter of course). V6 bolts onto the MR2's manual 'box, which makes me wonder whether one would bolt onto the 2.2 manual transmission...

So what you're basically saying is I should do a 2.2 conversion for extra shite points?

That's fantastic. How many people would go that far to buy a damaged sight unseen car partially held together with cable ties and with a duff battery and not only drive it that far back but actually get some shite spotting pictures along the way?

The expression 'legend' would not be out of kilter here.

Wow, I'm impressed. You're getting as reckless as me...

56K is seriously low mileage for one of those, especially such an early one. I can imagine it driving as if it had just come out of the showroom. Whilst I will feel a twinge of regret at seeing the estate broken for spares, at least it looks like it's for a worthy cause.

Great stuff! Have got to admit that you'd most probably be in shite heaven here SL, since I see numerous saloons and estates each day. Don't know why but I still turn round to marvel at the twin rear wipers of the passing estates!

I did see an import model, not badged as a Camry the other day (can't remember what it was called). I only mention it since it was a 2 door coupe! I saw it in Rotorua and STUNO seems to have a real soft spot for these, so perhaps he could pick up a picture...

It wasn't quite as reckless a purchase as it may seem. I know how solid these things are, with no rust, electrical, HGF or saggy headling/trim issues to worry about. I bought the estate unseen with 182k on the clock and it was fine and it survied a further 20-odd thousand miles and several years with me then Wuvvum. Even then it didn't really need a lot for a fresh MoT.

The mileage and manual 'box on this one were what swayed the decision. If all else failed it could have become a donor for the estate. But it drives so amazingly tight with no clonks or rattles, less than the Sport (and that only has 70k under its belt), that I think it has a long-term future.

Every time I've spoken to an owner of one of these cars they more than happy with them, and have either gone a considerable distance to buy them and/or have owned them for a long time.

It's amazing how ubiquitous they are in the rest of the world yet are completely ignored here

Yeah. Best selling car in America for a while IIRC.

edit: oh and excellent roadtrip story SL. :D

Thanks. I enjoyed making the trip, pleased to share it.

I suppose in Europe they fit into an odd market just above Mondeo-size cars, but don't have the badge prestige of German stuff, Lexus etc. I can't think when I last saw one of the post-2001 models (not that I'd have one of them anyway).

They were built in America and Australia as well as Japan. Both my saloons are Japanese but the estate is from the USA (Kentucky, I think). There don't seem to be any significant differences, not with the bits I'm wanting to swap across anyway.

Great stuff! Have got to admit that you'd most probably be in shite heaven here SL, since I see numerous saloons and estates each day. Don't know why but I still turn round to marvel at the twin rear wipers of the passing estates!

I did see an import model, not badged as a Camry the other day (can't remember what it was called). I only mention it since it was a 2 door coupe! I saw it in Rotorua and STUNO seems to have a real soft spot for these, so perhaps he could pick up a picture...

There are so many of those Camrys here we hardly notice them, I have seen one or two coupes and will keep a look out.

There was a low mileage one owner full history v6 one for sale recently that got me going a bit but I am too poor :(