Autoshite Top Trumps - Nominate Your Car!

carlo

On 04/01/2022 at 08:02, Tommyboy12 said:

Simple answer is HP doesn't plough fields, torque does.

Complicated answer is it's designed for high torque at low RPM (2100rpm is the red line on this engine) and constant running at high load on very low octane petrol (in the 80s octane rating). When I say high load I mean that it would be like driving a car capable of 100mph with your foot welded to the floor at 100mph for 7-8 hours a day every day. That's going to wear it out very quickly. When you drive your car at 70mph it's maybe at 15% engine load, sometimes less. When you accelerate it might peak at 100% but that's for 20-30 seconds at most. A tractor works at 100% load whenever it's doing work in the field. If it's not at 100% it isn't being used efficiently. It creates exceptional wear on an engine to work that hard if it isn't designed properly. A tractor engine is also expected to last thousands of hours, equivalent to millions of car miles, whereas a car engine would maybe last a couple of hundred hours being treated like that and even if it is being used properly how many cars reach a million miles with major overhaul? So you design the engine to be strong and not so powerful as to help in its own destruction, yet torquey enough to do the job. Hence tractors even today have 6-cyl 7L engines with only 200hp.

It's the same engine that's in some Standard cars. In that application it's 70hp.

I understand torque and hp ( I think), but 20 bhp seems incredibly low still.

I think the way they measure BHP has a lot to do with how fast it will make it go.  Look at the power rating of diesel shunting engines on the railways for some comparison.  There was a very popular standard gauge, small industrial shunter with 48hp and the biggest one BR used that would move thousands of tons was only 350hp.