need advice over cat c insurance write off

blackbart

hi all, need a bit of advice from any learned autoshite member as im sure someone must have come across this problem. what happened is i bought an old triumph which i was told was a cat c write off, but the damage didnt seem that bad to me. then when i got the log book back, there is no mention whatsoever of cat c on the log book, i just assumed it would be on there somewhere. does it not say on the log book or does it flag up when you go for an mot. im a bit confused and wonder if anybody could help me? thanks in advance for all replies.

Was the V5 given to the insurance company when the claim was made? When a car is written off what usually happens is you have to send the V5 to the insurers when they pay out, you then have to get the car VIC checked and the DVLA send you a new logbook which says words to the effect of "substantially damaged and/or repaired" in the special notes box at the bottom. It sounds like the V5 has not been sent off to the insurers, next time the car is sold the DVLA will more than likely keep the logbook and send the new owner an invitation to have it VIC checked before they can get a new one.

It shouldn't affect the MOT, maybe getting tax though.

thanks tim, its a strange one, i would have thought it would have been on the logbook, as the chap had the bang in july, i bought the car in november and that was when the logbook came back to me but with nothing on it, i cant work it out. i would have thought it would have been on the log book as it was done 6 months prior and the log book had to be changed.

as said on another thread and as Tim says above, it depends on how quickly the insurer tells the dvla.

I bought a cat C Vectra and had the log book changed into my name before the dvla knew about the damage. All it meant was I did not get a tax disc reminder but that no issue. I had even sent off for a VIC check but got a letter back saying they had no record of the car needing one!

If you sell it on again then the dvla will need the VIC check before changing the V5 in future.