ever scrapped anything you wish you had now?

benwallace

F-reg Black Sierra Sapphire Ghia (F283 TAR). Was given it for free by my Mum's then-partner after he became a born-again biker. Nothing much worked on it, the rear windows didn't work very well, and I somehow ruined the central locking whilst trying to fit a stereo which equally didn't work, I really didn't know what I was doing then. It was a great car for me to have. Really it was my first car. Then it started to develop loads of problems like over-heating in traffic etc... As I said, I knew nothing at all about cars then.

Lost my job, and the tax/MOT were due plus load of other things that it needed, I just didnt have the money. Drove it to the scrappy, got £20, but took the pepperpots off it which I still have to this day.

I should have found somewhere to keep it. I think I want another one.

Was exactly the same as this:

MySierraSapphireGhia3.jpg

MySierraSapphireGhia.jpg

PA Cresta, Rover 90, '54 Caddy 4 door!!, 1967 Humber Sceptre, 1965 Super Minx, Standard Ensign, numerous Sierras, Mk3 Capri, FSO pick up, numerous Land Rovers including one of the VERY last S1 diesel 88s built!, Rover P5B, Mini 850, Mk1 Transit, 1982ish MAN 7.5 ton flat bed.... electrical fire saw that one go up in smoke... Starter solenoid flicked over and kept the power into the starter motor. Took about 5 seconds to get the fire going. 1970 Austin 3 litre, 1973 Citroen DS Pallas. I just don't have the space or it all would be there still.

Our Pug 405 estate, we really liked it but had foolish ideas about running something sportier so scrapped it when the clutch went. The previous owner was Fuzz Townsend from practical classics who posted up that he was glad to be rid of the dullest car that he'd ever had on his blog :)

We just assumed that if we missed it we'd pick up another for pennies and that 'another' would be a diesel as the 1600cc petrol was a bit underpowered and thirsty. We were looking for one when our BX came up so we decided to try the lightweight option 8)

I miss my first car as well, an F reg Tipo 1.4 that came from a muddy field behind a closed down pub for £325 including a years MOT. It had 2 lady owners before the part time trader that sold her to me and was great fun. I ran her into the ground though so after 12 months it would have needed 4 tyres, brakes and something doing about the smoky engine to pass another test then the windscreen was cracked by stupidity on my part so the scrappy beckoned :evil:

Not technically scrapped by me but got weighed in by a couple of shit garages who stored them and promised to fix them 'as soon as they had a chance':

Maestro (petrol) van. Paid £70 for it taxed and tested and it was ace. Assumed scrapped.

Nova 1.5TD. Paid fifty quid for it, it was absolutely fucking ace fun to drive and ran rings scores of flashy modern cars. Assume scrapped.

Corsa 1.5TD: bloody tidy, think I have about sixty quid for it and it was to have the engine from the Corsa fitted to it. Assume scrapped.

Cortina Mk5 2.0GL auto. TLY 243W. After about three years of a loving relationship with it it just fell apart and the auto box fucked up for the second time. Very sad day when that went.

Probably more I've forgotten but I could almost certainly type a bigger list of cars I was delighted to have scrapped.

Very long story I'm afraid. I got my own back one of the garages though and two of his cars were probably converted into washing machines and Mongstro van lookalikes ages ago.

I sent my Piazza to its death when the fuel lines corroded (along with the floors) in storage and I didn't have the money to fix it. It ended up in Belgium and its guts are going on to power what I can only imagine to be a fucking lethal Triumph Spitfire.

I was skint.

Citroen GS1220: destroyed by a careless copper, 1990

Volvo 240GLT: rotten, flogged to a nutter in Bolton who broke it for the leather interior, 1998

Citroen XM: not scrapped by me, but it didn't last long in the hands of the inbreed who took it away to Cardiff, 2006

:(

Back in 2003 my Dad was working on this old boys house and he offered the 1976 Vauxhall Chevette that he'd owned from new to my dad for free!! It was very solid and had only done around 50,000 miles. It had been sitting in his garage since when he packed up driving in 1996 and I doubt it would have required much work to get back on the road, but he had to decline as we had nowhere to store it at the time and they weren't worth much back then, so it ended up over the bridge. Still got the handbook for it somewhere :cry:

Only car I've scrapped.....that I can remember at least was the K reg Seat Ibiza GLXI I learned to drive in. Needed a rear brake pipe t-piece putting in to pass the MOT. Didn't have the time or no how at the time to get it sorted. Gutted now because when was the last time you saw one.

Marina

Did you read the title of the thread? :):wink:

I suppose the only car I could say I wish I had now that got scrapped was the first one I owned... 1969 Cortina MK2 estate. My first Cortina MK3 (1300 L) got scrapped after I sold it. I saw it in the scrappy, minus the wooden 'GT' dash that I lovingly fitted.

cortinafront.jpg

cortinarear.jpg

I obviously must have regretted scrapping this as I went back to the yard a few weeks later to get these snaps. Mk3 Tina in two door guise, it was my first road legal car which I learnt to drive in. I was 21 and late into cars (motorbikes were my thing). That dates it to 1984/1985 then !!

davesGXL.jpg

Pacific blue very early immaculate J reg cortina GXL..... I pulled a stupid overtaking maneouvre and wrote it off, and weighed it in. This was in 2002 and I'd paid £700 for it - If it was still going now it would be the oldest known surviving and worth a hell of a lot more.

In hindsight I cant believe I didnt look for another mk3 and reshell it. Oh well....

I try not to scrap anything really, would rather someone have some use for my old tat than see it cubed.

me and a mate though did scrap a 2 door H reg E30 a few years ago which I wish I would have kept or offered to someone else. had no room though for it at the time and it needed welding.

Sold a G reg Orion for £80 about 2005, could do with some of the parts now!

That dates it to 1984/1985 then !!

The vehicle details for YFM 861L are:

Date of Liability 01 08 1985

Date of First Registration 03 11 1972

Year of Manufacture Not Available

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1600CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour RED