Mk10 Jaguar STOLEN

Six-cylinder

I must admit, the idea of puting the Sceptre into daily use does concern me a bit, as it would be parked on the front in full view. We live in a cul-de-sac so don't really get passing traffic but do get the odd 'tarmac yer drive/lop yer trees/got any scrap?' caller. Don't know if it being a slusher would put them off...

'

' keep an eye out at this years pre 68 i suppose? '

The whole concept of a "pre 68" banger race just sickens me. Race genuine, unwanted bangers by all means - but I don't understand what kind of scum get pleasure out of destroying the oldest, rarest vehicles they can possibly find.

i do.you are welcome to come buy some off me and save them

'

' keep an eye out at this years pre 68 i suppose? '

The whole concept of a "pre 68" banger race just sickens me. Race genuine, unwanted bangers by all means - but I don't understand what kind of scum get pleasure out of destroying the oldest, rarest vehicles they can possibly find.

i do.you are welcome to come buy some off me and save them

Yeah, I've heard that one before. You can't suggest there's anything wrong with seeking out and smashing up rare machines unless you're prepared to buy up every car in the world to stop it happening.

What a fucking stupid argument.

If its all bought and paid for fair and square then fair enough, their car to do with what they like. I'd imagine just as many "good" classics succumb to neglect or half arsed resto attempts. Not all old cars that fall into the hands of racers die though, a surprising amount are passed on to restorers and carry on living. Often such cars were actually saved from the weighbridge by the banger driver in the first place!

Mk10 Jags are still fairly common on the banger track, theres always a handful at pre'68- it would be pretty easy for a stolen one to get raced somewhere undetected. Nearly all get new "good" engines before they are raced too- the original ones are usually no good, bits missing, seized, damaged e.t.c.

What a fucking stupid argument.

Different horses, different courses. I'm not the biggest fan of banger racing either but to tar them all with the same brush is more than a little narrow minded. I've had stacks of parts very cheaply from banger racers for both my Amazon and Piazza.

What would you prefer, an utterly knackered shell going round the oval or some knobhead hoarder letting it rot into the floor because he'll 'get round to it one day''? Oh wait, there's no collectors and 'true car enthusiasts' like that anywhere, is there? I thought I might just throw that one into the ring (sorry) to reinforce another inaccurate stereotype.

Yes, banger racers can post inflammatory comments, but why rise to it? They have access to contacts the average old car type doesn't.

Stealing cars to race is completely wrong however and I think we can all agree on that. This Mk 10 hasn't *yet* appeared on the oval, so can we all please chill and give everyone the benefit of the doubt? If you wade in calling all the banger lads wankers the vast majority who might have helped might not feel the urge to any more.

Oh, and banger racing isn't my cup of tea either, but I can't really tell someone what to do with their own property any more than a banger racer can tell me what to do with my old piles of shit.

Yo Wat, for goodness sake tidy up all your old piles of shit will you.

Sorry. I'll be down in Telford tomorrow. Shall I bring the magic swan that shits money again?

• 3 months later...

Good news - Bad news

Back in January my wife had her Jaguar MK10 project car stolen, which she had for 19 years. After posting it on many forums and making local enquires we got a call to say that someone had unknowingly bought her car and arranged to meet us in a car park but never showed. After further enquires a friend got a call to say we could have it back for £250, half what he had paid. A few more days passed and today the friend was called again to say it was dumped in a lay-by. The Good news is she has got it back the bad news is a lot of damage has been done.

Chris

P1060026jpgbroad.jpg

I don't know whats worse, getting it backed prepped for racing or just never seeing it again. I'm sure the racing fraternity will be overjoyed with the honesty* of the person who has sold it back to you.

Obviously it's easy to cut/shut or weld on Vin plates etc, but surely to God it'd help a little if all racers were made to bring the V5 for every car they raced and the cars were 'marked' somehow so they could be identified at a later stage?

Feel sorry for the owners - what a mixed blessing seeing it like that. Wings give away the race prepping and I wonder what made it such a "hot potato" to be dumped. Scumbags need to be put in the prison showers with mr big :evil:

Yep, just like it would be good practice to make sure that there is appropriate paperwork when you weigh a car in so that people can't just lift stuff up off the street and race/scrap it.

It won't happen because of vested interests. Whilst I'm sure there are large numbers of honest folk b. racing the problem lies with those who are big names on the scene and have vested interests in stopping this from happening. And it will be big names characters for one simple reason, if there were not these forceful types in the system who didn't want this to happen in the interests of shaking off the bad rep I'd of thought they'd be doing it by now.

It is good, however, that this car has been returned it is, however, a shame that they've got a somehwat ruined car back thought.

m0rris

WASN'T US

O FUCKING RLY

EVERYONE involved in banger racing needs to have a bloody good look at themselves & their fellow "sportsmen".

Regardless of the usual tired protestation, once again it's clear that this pursuit needsto either be seriously cleaned up or put to rest for good.

Why would you be flamed for telling it how it is?

You know, i know, my missus knows that 99% of the classics stolen end up on the oval, how many times have we seen it happen?!

Two issues IMHO, firstly unless the banger "community" acknowledges that its not a minority but a SIGNIFICANT minority who are doing this, then it will continue to happen, end of.

The second issue is that the Police dont really give a flying f**k if your classic is lifted. They give you a crime report number and thats it.You are on your own.

Bringing V5s to meets wont prove that the car being raced is the one on the V5, im pretty sure the banger community has shit loads of V5s knocking about that would come in handy, if that were the case.

Cricket is corrupt, Rugby League is corrupt, football is corrupt and, by god, so is Banger racing.

Bastards.

Obviously it's easy to cut/shut or weld on Vin plates etc, but surely to God it'd help a little if all racers were made to bring the V5 for every car they raced and the cars were 'marked' somehow so they could be identified at a later stage?

This. Seems so bleeding obvious doesn't it. It's all very well racers getting defensive about the reputation they have but quite clearly this sort of thing still goes on on a regular basis.

Clearly (as M_I_L says) it won't happen if it's left to be self-regulating. Perhaps someone should start a petition to get the law changed? I'm sure a few articles in the classic press would drum up a lot of support and the scores of totally honest racers shouldn't have a problem with it....

Also, as there are a few new members floating about now, I should mention that there are a fair number of racers on this forum and the ones I've met are top blokes, so try not to turn this into another OMG BANGER BOYS R GHEY thread just because there is a minority of people that do this sort of thing. I don't like the idea of pre-68 AT ALL but in the interest of civility this topic is usually taboo on here...

On the other hand a stripped Mk10 jag will be worth TOP COIN on e.bay, £600 plus I recon. Still doesn't help the fact it was stolen at all, and the villains are yet to be caught.

I don't understand why it was dumped, or even offered back. It was obviously getting close to being raced and could be easily de-identified to keep plod at bay. Why the change of heart?

I'm glad this car showed up, even though its in such a bad state. Well done Six-cylinder, you made enough noise and caused enough interest which in no doubt helped save this car. Looks like some banger racing scummer bottled-it and did'nt see their plans through. Before getting to hands-on with it inform the police and see if they can finger print the car. They were only to happy to do it for me when I found my Metro.

Fucking horrible thieving fucking bastards.

I truly hope that whoever did this gets badly mutilated in their next race, not quite enough to kill 'em, but enough to keep them in excruciating pain for the rest of their miserable existence. Something subtle, like an infected rusty steering column through the scrotum and maybe a shattered spine.

Not often I wish someone to be mutilated and incapacitated, but for them to strip all the glass and do their shit to the wings on that car must have taken time. They knew it was stolen, nobody 'accidentally' buys a Mk10 Jag and then does that to it.

Then again, they don't see that it was someone's long term project, that someone has put precious time and effort into trying to make a 40-odd year old car as it was when it was new. They just see a big old car that they can impress other neanderthals with for half an hour and then weigh in for a couple of hundred quid at the end.

Banning any banger racing for cars over 20 years old is the way, I'd say.

If that's been prepared for racing, it hasn't been done very well! Really pleased you have got it back

Has it occured to some of you that it could very well have been the "scum" banger racing community which led to the return of this car at all. The vast majority would not knowingly touch a stolen car and there was a lot of interest shown in recovering this vehicle to its rightful owner

Just as an aside, the Avon Jaguar estate mentioned above was obtained through the scrappage scheme would you believe. Unfortunately it was a solid shell but please don't blame the racer for that one - blame the clown putting it through he scheme

Has it occured to some of you that it could very well have been the "scum" banger racing community which led to the return of this car at all. The vast majority would not knowingly touch a stolen car and there was a lot of interest shown in recovering this vehicle to its rightful owner

THIS IS TRUE!!

It is indeed true.

I've got mates who banger race stuff, and without putting too fine a point on it, they know where far too many stolen cars end up.

If someone I know gets their car stolen, the first people I go to ask are the banger racing crowd, It's surprising just how often the car turns up again. I'm not saying that 'racers' steal cars, merely that the ones I know all tend to work in back street garages / scrapyards etc. The kind of garages where more work goes on overnight than ever does when the place is open to the public.

You know the ones. Scrapyards where the newest car you can see is from 2003 Rover 25, yet in the corner there's most of the dashboard from a 2010 M3, and the works van has Recaros from an RS4.