Shite Road Test Scans - Austin Ambassador HLS - Rover 2000 SD1 & Saab 900 GLS 1982

trigger

Montego in winner shock! It's funny how a good write up from 22 years ago can still make you hanker for something like a Montego, a car that's never really been on my radar, other than the early ones.

I think that's what I like about CAR magazine (up to the late 90's) - the autoshite ethos often displayed. Journalists who don't pander to what is perceived to be the best car and offer a valid argument for their conclusions. I'm enjoying reading the 31 issues I found out here (93-95) - must scan Trademe for others.

Top work as ever Trig!

I miss the days when CAR would do straight side-by-side comparasons. in their photos. Things like putting the same object in the boot of each car, so as to give a point of reference when viewing the cargo capacity. And swowing the side profile, front and rear of each car. Today's CAR photographers are just a bit too arty-farty for their own good. What's so wrong with showing us what the car looks like?

This roadtest showcases just how much better the Prima was than the indirect injection engines in everything else - is it a coincidence that Audi and Peugeot went on to produce some truly great diesel engines? I'm not sure, but I think that they probably did buy a Prima engined device and pull it apart. I think the sad thing about the Montego is that by that point it could have done with a re-skin in much the same way as the mk2 Cavalier became the mk3, then set it off touring car racing using the T16 engine out of the 820 when the supertouring rules were introduced.

I remember that the later Montegos - both diesel and petrol - got quite a bit of respect from motoring journalists, manily because it was much improved over the early versions. The unreliable gimmicks such as voice synth had been dumped, and the Prima in particular was an excellent engine. The value pricing helped as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I never liked the appearance of the 14, sorry.

Out of those included in the 'rivals' page I'd take the Citroen GS Pallas. 8) Even the Colt 1400 looks rather appealing too. :)

Having said that, the Alfasud Ti looks like it would be the most fun. And it was very good value for money at the time, too. :D

A school friend's mother replaced her 15 TL with a 14 TS and immediately wished she'd hung on a bit as the Fuego came out shortly afterwards.

My mate & I both loved it, it seemed so relaxed at speed, doing just 4000rpm @ 70mph!

In our minds, that meant it would spin to 6000rpm & do well over a ton.

I particularly remember the seats, the headlining and the heater.

It was replaced with a 1500cc Scirocco 2

Jumbo road test this time!, From the July 1984 issue of What Car? Featuring the Austin Montego 1.6 HL, Fiat Regata 100 Super, Toyota Carina GL, Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6 GL, Ford Sierra 1.6 GL, Peugeot 305 GT, Mazda 626 LX, Renault 18 GTS, Volkswagen Santana CX And Volvo 360 GLE.

3483783676_bcd1f9b8c3_b.jpg

3482971029_5c41fe9f54_b.jpg

3483788446_cf47df55ce_b.jpg

3482976753_8517896259_b.jpg

3482979721_0610740a57_b.jpg

3483797846_1e6d613434_b.jpg

3482985993_ce83ac6574_b.jpg

3483803914_6716914f81_b.jpg

3482992469_940b5db7b5_b.jpg

3483810730_33d185173c_b.jpg

3483813900_5173424af9_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

brilliant thanks Trig

very interesting that the journo rates the BX Gti 8v as having the best suspension of all the BXes

that is the one I have and I have to say althogh not as smooth as the normal BX suspension the stiffer anti roll bar and firmer shperes in the 8v do make it a lovely car to drive on a decent road

having had a 16v one many years ago I think I prefer the 8v - not as much of a hooligan but a less fussy and better all rounder

• 7 months later...

Thanks for posting that up Trig. That Autocar test is spot on and I found myself agreeing with more or less everything that was written. It is excellent on the motorway and the MPG returned was pretty dismal. I wonder why they softened the shocks up for the 460 - were they trying to push the 'comfy tourer' angle? It certainly seems that way. My 480 was actually pretty good around the bends but had a jittery ride. The 460 travels down a rough road with aplomb but goes to pieces if you start hammering down the twisties. I'd go as far as to call it queasy - the engine is too powerful for the rest of the car.

It feels better put together than the 480 too, which is surprising given that it's an early build.

Perhaps some Konis, 440 Turbo springs and some decent tyres will perk it up a bit. I may well have ended up with one of the earliest 460 Turbos left in the UK, so I don't want to be buggering around with it too much. I would like the fucking thing to stop and corner with some semblance of calm, however.

I wonder why they softened the shocks up for the 460 - were they trying to push the 'comfy tourer' angle? It certainly seems that way. My 480 was actually pretty good around the bends but had a jittery ride. The 460 travels down a rough road with aplomb but goes to pieces if you start hammering down the twisties. I'd go as far as to call it queasy - the engine is too powerful for the rest of the car.

Are you sure it isn't just that your suspension is a bit tired? My 460 Turbo cornered pretty well but had a firm ride - much the same as the 480 Turbo in fact. It's possible mine had been upgraded though. Or maybe they changed the settings during the production run - mine was a bit later than yours. I had some proper fun in that 460 - probably the best sleeper I'd owned until I bought the Rover of Doom.

• 1 month later...