The Works

pompei

I think The Works is now a crap gadgets shop (unless I'm thinking of the wrong place), so I'll miss out on this deal. Super Pound World, Pound Mpire and other such delights still exist though.

I sent Mrs Trigger into the Works on her lunch break today, she's picked me a copy up as well as a history book on Haynes Manuals for £2.99 and a book about Audi Quattros which she said is full of photos for about £3 as well.

Oh and to add she said the cutaway book is full of "crap" cars like Talbot Horizons and Austin Metros.

I think The Works is now a crap gadgets shop (unless I'm thinking of the wrong place), so I'll miss out on this deal. Super Pound World, Pound Mpire and other such delights still exist though.

Wrong place although they do sell other 'crap' other than books. They're good if they get a shedload of books that the publisher has decided to dispose of if they haven't been a massive seller, I got some railway books that were £19.99 for £3.99, just that find the range of books a bit restricted sometimes - its always books about the VW Camper.

By that I mean that the shop called The Works closed down and was replaced by some crap gadget shop.

The one in the ridings moved to where the early learing centre used to be, I think, at the bottom, opposite the butchers. The space it used to occupy is now a 'gimme-gizmos' selling executive toys, zany gifts and other such bollocks.

mind you Maplins has gone a bit that way.

They've gone a lot that way, it's all flashy plastic crap now.

I worked there 1998-2000 and we sold mostly projects, components, wire, PC bits, proper GPS gear and whatnot. The gadgets were a very minor sideline. I went into one yesterday and it was all remote controlled shit and blue LEDs.

• 2 months later...
Maplins... remote controlled shit and blue LEDs.

I remember when blue LED's first came out, a group of us from college went into CPC (when it was on North Road) and had a look at one at the trade counter - ORSUM, and a snip at £38 +VAT each :shock: