Gameshite - shite and retros in video games

ashmicro

I seem to remember there was an AMC Pacer in Driver 2, also plenty of Yankshite, VW Campers and a very rusty white Mini hidden underground.

The Mini was pink and white IIRC, it was on a plinth in the middle of a park?

Driv3r wasn't too bad for shite either, loadsa faux-Renault 5s and mildly underpowered 70s US tin.

Hmm, not played that many 'simulator' games with genuine cars in - I used to play a lot of Carmageddon 1 and 2, a fair bit of Destruction Derby 2, GTA3 and most recently GT4.

The most fun games for playability, especially in terms of multiplayer were Rallycross, Micro Machines V3 (both on PS1) and Mario Kart on the N64.

One game that I only had the demo of, that I want to get the full version of (providing it would work on a 'new' PC) would be Monster Truck Madness, the first one.

I seem to remember there was an AMC Pacer in Driver 2, also plenty of Yankshite, VW Campers and a very rusty white Mini hidden underground.

I remember the White Mini! You had to go through some wierd underground layer to get it didnt have shift though.

I remember (but never played) at the end of Driver 1 (PC Version only) you got to play some secret level hooning around in a Jaguar XJ6 in some UK city like Newcastle or something (where the game was developed) Although you could play the secret level on the PC version, you couldnt on the PS version, it was only played during ending the credits.

I seem to remember there being a Driver 3 (or Driv3r) some of the missions took place in Europe. Never actually played it myself:

driver3_042103_18_640w.jpg

screen%20driver%203.jpg

Yep, Driv3r. There were a number of cars that looked nearly like a 6 Series Bastard MW, a Fiat Panda, a Renner 5, a Citroen GS, an Aston V8 S and a Cuntash. Mind you, the driving physics and dynamics were excellent. Using the "burnout" control you could do OMG DRIFT He done gone sideways" fairly easily. The first Driver is a PC legend - lob the CD ROM in a regular ordinary CD player for some super-funky 70s cop show music, 6 tracks if my memory serves me correctly.

Autoshite in gaming is not just restricted to driving sims, although GT5's inclusion of the Top Gear test track is surely a key reason for buying it.

Just been playing COD4: Modern Warfare and given it's eastern European setting, theres a lot of old kit parked up. A lot of it explodes in your face before you get the chance to really appreciate it, but its nice that it's there.

Bad Company also has a lot of old shit mouldering in barns and in car parks.

The Getaway and The Getaway 2 was the absolute pinnacle of shite.

I seem to remember the car artist was a Vauxhall fan who managed to put nearly every bog spec Astra mk2, Cavalier, etc as was allowed by licensing, there's also a load of Citroens and Peugeots. I completed the first and second games, and loved it. I played it recently and it hasn't aged well at all.

Haha, I agree Station, the handling is like a trolley travelling through an aisle of treacle. The cars themselves look alright still, but the buildings look terrible. I rate the first one more, the second one just didnt gel with me.

GT5 is terrific. I have been buying shite all the time, won one championship with a 1990 RX-7 with over 350 bhp on tap.... handling was interesting though. I also like how the loopholes are still there, for example:

There is an 80s Japanese Challenge, any car from the 80s is allowed to enter. So having won a mid eighties Honda Civc Mugen race car earlier on, I used that. Winning by a minute in a 5 lap race is pretty cool.

Have we had the original Need for Speed? Picked this up for 99p today and the user cars aren't shite but you do get things like CRXs, E30s and Wranglers as civilian cars to avoid. Odd to think that this was one of the first games to go for realism whereas the later series is about arcade style Fast and Furious rejects

193587-the-need-for-speed-dos-screenshot-traffic.png

243305-the-need-for-speed-dos-screenshot-racing-the-nsx-through-the.png

I remember the White Mini! You had to go through some wierd underground layer to get it didnt have shift though.

That's the one! It was on a plinth high off the ground at the bottom of a 'dungeon' type underground carpark, you had to press a button to make the lift come down so you could drive it away!

That carpark was GR8 for avoiding police :lol:

Have we had the original Need for Speed?

The original Need For Speed was utterly amazing. And I mean seriously, not just when viewed through the rosy specs of childhood past. The engine notes were properly sampled, far better than in GT5, for example.

In fact, holding the NSX in third gear, in manual and lifting off is quite incredible. They took as much care on the overrun as on full throttle.

we had a Hard Drivin' arcade machine in our hall of residence at Newcastle in 1990 - the game had a clutch and a gear stick - we used to get pissed up and see who could complete the course with the most booze inside him!

I remember once having a few goes on an arcade game called 'GTI Club'. Would have been in the mid 90's.

You could pilot old rammel like 205s, Renner 5, Golf etc.

Rigs of Rods truely is a geek fest. It's not even a game, the guys on the forum get ever so uppety if you call it a game!

I do remember this from my younger days though

Test_Drive-2.png

Test Drive 2: The Duel. Testarossa or 911, race to the end, avoid the five-oh and oncoming traffic OR YOUR WINDSCREEN GETS IT.

Edit: And I'm surprised we've not had this yet.... doubly car-related.

StreetFighter2Car--article_image.jpg

^^

I spent a lot of time in my youth playing Test Drive III on a Compaq 286 laptop with a B/W screen. Awesome game with the Diablo, Acura NSX etc!

TD3.png

I also had Hard Drivin' on the Amstrad 6128. Great memories 8)

Mark.

Rigs of Rods truely is a geek fest. It's not even a game, the guys on the forum get ever so uppety if you call it a game!

I do remember this from my younger days though

Test_Drive-2.png

Test Drive 2: The Duel. Testarossa or 911, race to the end, avoid the five-oh and oncoming traffic OR YOUR WINDSCREEN GETS IT.

I'm sure that's Test Drive 1 circa 1987. The Corvette C4 was my fave car in that game.

I just bought this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Drift King 2 for the Super Famicom (what they called the SNES in its native land). It's actually surprisingly fun and has an MR2, S14 200SX, Supra and R33 Skyline, or rather cars that look exactly the same but aren't called that. It has what I presume are or were drift stars who give advice and there's a large number of game modes. Although it's all in Japanese so I can't understand a word of it

• 2 weeks later...