One (shite) picture per post.

mk1_4dr

On 11/1/2022 at 12:26 PM, horriblemercedes said:

*die DDR, if I remember correctly

die/die/der for the feminine definite article

I've always understood it to be 'der' as below...

image.png.ed28c83728b9874ffc731038b25b1034.pngimage.png.46c4b7073fadc7aa98446ee70bacddea.png

Die, der and das is a minefield but der can be feminine if it's used as a 'genitive' ie you are showing who something belongs to - eg Berlin, the capital, belongs to the DDR or these hundred marks belong to the DDR; issued by the state bank belonging to the DDR. In English we would say 'of the' as our equivalent to 'der' so Berlin is the capital of the DDR or in my example 'Sassnitz, der DDR, 1977'  Sassnitz is (part) of the DDR.

Although I'm prepared to stand corrected...

15 minutes ago, martc said:

I've always understood it to be 'der' as below...

image.png.ed28c83728b9874ffc731038b25b1034.pngimage.png.46c4b7073fadc7aa98446ee70bacddea.png

Die, der and das is a minefield but der can be feminine if it's used as a 'genitive' ie you are showing who something belongs to - eg Berlin, the capital, belongs to the DDR or these hundred marks belong to the DDR; issued by the state bank belonging to the DDR. In English we would say 'of the' as our equivalent to 'der' so Berlin is the capital of the DDR or in my example 'Sassnitz, der DDR, 1977'  Sassnitz is (part) of the DDR.

Although I'm prepared to stand corrected...

I see what you're saying - and yes, der is the genitive form of die in the nominative. 

I didn't read it as that. I read it as being in the nominative case rather than genitive. I don't see why it couldn't be as you said though, so apologies 

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

Interesting direct comparison there between the very crisply styled 1966 launched Cortina Mk2 - and the 1971 launched swollen Marina Coupe - things did not move much in the right direction  in 5 years for BL. In fact the 'tina looks more modern.

Swollen? Marina design was very well received, and the tina's replacement was even more bulbous, shirley?

15 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Interesting direct comparison there between the very crisply styled 1966 launched Cortina Mk2 - and the 1971 launched swollen Marina Coupe - things did not move much in the right direction  in 5 years for BL. In fact the 'tina looks more modern.

But both cars were designed by the same man, Roy Haynes. He did the Cortina, then moved to BL, first doing the front and rear of the Maxi, then the Mini Clubfront, which looks like a 'tina clone, then he did the Marina.

16 hours ago, lesapandre said:

What’s that in front of the Marina?

On 11/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, lesapandre said:

Another vote for the Marina here. I'd say the mk2 was my least favourite Cortina.