One (shite) picture per post.

mk1_4dr

3 hours ago, martc said:

Now that's a lamp standard ^. @LightBulbFun - any idea what it is?

someone figured out why I gave it a like :) 

it looks like an ESLA Bi-multi streetlight one of the staple streetlights of the 1930's and one of the first with some proper thought into optical light control

http://www.simoncornwell.com/lighting/collect/lanterns/esla-a165-1/index.htm

I really really want to get one for the collection but they are not easy to find, and most that are found are in a sorry state missing many of its facetted mirrors 

they are an amazing lantern to behold when lit-up with a proper clear GLS lamp 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/8442752182

The ESLA Bi-Multi open, directional street lighting lantern

I do however have a special Derby 100 lightbulb for one :), which was a special kind of oversized 100W lightbulb made in the 150W bulb size for the Derby council and used in their ESLA street lights

as the post WW2 100W lamps with their standardised 60Mm bulb size, would pop in the rain (pre WW2 each lamp wattage had its own bulb size, but post WW2 in the Early 50's lamp manufacturers standardised on a 60Mm bulb for all sizes from 15W to 100W)

and also messed up the focusing of the lamp in the reflectors (ESLA's are generally designed for 150W-200W lamps, Derby was unusual in using 100W lamps with theirs, ESLA did also make much larger versions for main/major roads using up to 1000W GLS lamps, but these are VERY rare not actually sure if I have seen a picture of one or not!)

so Derby requested the old size of 100W lamp, and while lamp makers could not offer that anymore they did offer to make a 100W lamp with the bulb of a 150W lamp which solved the issue :) 

a detailed writeup of this lamp can be found here :) http://www.streetlightonline.co.uk/derby100.htm

9 minutes ago, Metal Guru said:

Margate in the early 80s. Dreamland was sold to Bembom Brothers in 1981, so can’t be before that although cars look like the 70s. I remember going to Dreamland many times in the 70s when it still opened at night .

Ah, you're not a yoof. There's a similar road layout on Hastings seafront, dreams there could be waaaayyyy out. Man

10 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Ah, you're not a yoof. There's a similar road layout on Hastings seafront, dreams there could be waaaayyyy out. Man

As far as I am concerned @Metal Guru has got the location correct. Hence the name of the image is Brighton.jpg.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:57 AM, Metal Guru said:

Margate in the early 80s. Dreamland was sold to Bembom Brothers in 1981, so can’t be before that although cars look like the 70s. I remember going to Dreamland many times in the 70s when it still opened at night .

Same. We went to Ramsgate for our holidays every year, mainly because Dad found a B+B there that he really liked, and the highlight was riding the coaster and the ghost train, and watching the huge fireworks displays. PFT for thread because Google never lies.

Capturekuklg.JPG

5 hours ago, taranaki said:

Same. We went to Ramsgate for our holidays every year, mainly because Dad found a B+B there that he really liked, and the highlight was riding the coaster and the ghost train, and watching the huge fireworks displays. PFT for thread because Google never lies.

Capturekuklg.JPG

Sad what happened to Dreamland though it was dated and couldn’t compete with the likes of Thorpe Park and Chessington.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:57 PM, Metal Guru said:

Are you sure its Margate, there is no bay along there. I'm thinking it might be Ramsgate where there was also an amusement park which I saw go up in flames whilst I was offshore, sailing into the harbour. But I am struggling to think of where exactly it could be if it is.