Some 95-97 scrapyard photos

trigger

I often wonder about the fate of various press cars especially ones that were used in adverts and road tests.

My wife's last car was an ex-Ford press car - a 53 plate SportKa, bought through Ford Direct from the local dealer. It seemed faster than other SportKas she tried at the time, as if it had been tweaked before being handed to the press. Being a bit of a girl racer, that swayed her towards buying it. It went very rusty though - she got rid of it early this year with just 23K on the clock and holes in both sills and in the metal at both top corners of the windscreen, despite being very well looked after (several previous unexpected blemishes having been properly repaired by a local bodyshop). I wonder if they skimped on rust-proofing to keep the weight down, and performance up?

A fantastic little road-rocket though. I was sad to see it go.

Hold on, I just remembered that I went to a Monster Truck show around this time, and we still have photos from it. If I remember rightly, the cars being crushed in the display (well the ones at either end) went as follows: MKI Cavalier, Mini, Volvo 340, Mini, Acclaim. They also wrecked something else, I will have to dig these shots out. Just felt this would add some clarity as to what was fit for that sort of thing back then, i.e. scrapping.

If those were the Abbey lane / Whitefield road scrapyards then some of those Talbots/Chryslers ended up less than half

a mile from the main dealer who sold them new. Castles is now Robins and Day Peugeot and the Scrapyards have gone:(

I recall 1995-97 to be when most Talbots disappeared from the roads. The same thing will happen with the remaining MG-Rovers around 2015, I expect.

Too true :( Walked down a street the other day with a 75, 45 and two 200s close together, and realised that they're going to go from commonplace to unusual in the blink of an eye.

From a Telegraph article found on the web, from July this year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/new ... d-age.html

'New figures show that the vehicle 'parc' (the DVLA's database of vehicle registrations) for MG Rovers produced since 2000 has declined only marginally in the past 12 months.

The MG parc (ZT, ZS, ZR and F/TF) - has fallen by only 3.1 per cent, according to the DVLA figures, while the Rover parc (75, 45, 25, Streetwise and City Rover) has declined by 3.7 per cent.

It means that in total there are still more than one million MG Rover vehicles registered for use on the UK's roads, over 50 per cent of which were built post-2000.'

Perhaps the situation re Rovers won't be as bad as Talbots after all :) .

I recall 1995-97 to be when most Talbots disappeared from the roads. The same thing will happen with the remaining MG-Rovers around 2015, I expect.

Too true :( Walked down a street the other day with a 75, 45 and two 200s close together, and realised that they're going to go from commonplace to unusual in the blink of an eye.

From a Telegraph article found on the web, from July this year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/new ... d-age.html

'New figures show that the vehicle 'parc' (the DVLA's database of vehicle registrations) for MG Rovers produced since 2000 has declined only marginally in the past 12 months.

The MG parc (ZT, ZS, ZR and F/TF) - has fallen by only 3.1 per cent, according to the DVLA figures, while the Rover parc (75, 45, 25, Streetwise and City Rover) has declined by 3.7 per cent.

It means that in total there are still more than one million MG Rover vehicles registered for use on the UK's roads, over 50 per cent of which were built post-2000.'

Perhaps the situation re Rovers won't be as bad as Talbots after all :) .

I think both Rover and MG cars of this era will have a far better survival rate than Talbots as they are more sought after today and a sexier brand than Talbot. The Lotus Sunbeam was the only Talbot that had any real interest hence most surving Sunbeams today are the Lotus model. Let us not forget that Talbots rusted horrifically and most were past their best by their 10th birthday. My mum had a w reg Sunbeam from around 1984-1992 and loved it (still likes them) but it went very rotten, it was sold to a mechanic friend of my dads who then sold to a bloke to be done up according to the DVLA it limped on till 1994. My Grandad also had a Solara from brand new an A reg GLS that he kept for around ten years but that was starting to rust although not as bad as the Sunbeam that also has its DOL with the DVLA as 1994..

• 9 months later...

OMG thread revival!

5251631986_0651e7365a_b.jpg

scrapyard 2001 by Judy and Floss, on Flickr

5306581020_4aa6f50213_b.jpg

May 1996 by Judy and Floss, on Flickr

5305989271_d4e4101024_b.jpg

August 1996 by Judy and Floss, on Flickr

5306581306_ef35aa2fba_b.jpg

Feb 1996 by Judy and Floss, on Flickr

5305991495_bff45ceeb5_b.jpg

June 1996 by Judy and Floss, on Flickr

5305993369_7a5f0f7034_b.jpg

Scrapyard may 1996 by Judy and Floss, on Flickr

5305993683_f20d31c14e_b.jpg

Scrap yard, March 2000 by Judy and Floss, on Flickr

5306586130_7f88df0414_b.jpg

Scrapyard, December 1996 by Judy and Floss, on Flickr

• 11 months later...

just enjoyed these again, great pics. Going misty eyed over scrap yards of the old days pre health and safety and environmental legislation etc. Part of the 'fun' was clambering around trying to unbolt an elusive part on the car teetering on top of the stack :mrgreen:

I restored my first car , a Chrysler 2 Litre, between the ages of about 12 to 16 and almost all the parts came from the scrapyards. I used to spend alot of time scouring for a part that was better than the one I had. Scrapyards back then were fantastic places with great cars. I lived near an area of Bury in Lancashire called Pimhole which had at least 20 yards. Autosave was a favorite of mine as the guy who ran it had the biggest collection of NSU RO80's in the country and some brilliant other cars, Citroen DS's , jenson interceptors , fiat 130's etc etc. Those were the days....