My New Maxi!

Torsten2001

That last photo looks like it was taken in the 80's.

Mine? It was! Summer of 86, in fact. I couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough, replaced it with a 1968 Fiat 500.

But enough of that, we're here to worship Torsten's new toy, good luck Torsten.

The nose-down, arse-up Maxi is truly a rare sight these days. So much more classy than the 'totally collapsed' look most of them sport after a period of lay up.

I suggest you leave the suspension exactly as it is, park it on a coucil estate and sit back and watch people in their 50s walk by and say 'I remember when they all looked like that!'

I took my driving test in a Maxi.

it was a 1750HL with twin carbs & a wrestler gearbox

Incidentally, have you seen a book called

Why? - 25 years of the Austin Maxi

or something very similar.

I can't find a picture on the web to show you.

but it's well worth an amusing read

I was talking to Scooters about this earlier, I don't know what it is with these cars because frankly I think they are pretty ugly but for all that I just love their lines! The plan is to get it to BL Transverse, Les will do whatever's necessary to get it reliable and MOT'd, I'll tax it and flog it for around £700, it WILL look stunning and I will have lost plenty of money on it for sure but I will get such incredible satisfaction by seeing another one survive that it will be absolutely worth every penny!

The Maxi driving experience is not the greatest in the world but I always take them out to twisty Kent/Surrey/Sussex A roads and sit between 50 & 60 and they really come into their own and are enormous fun. They're comfortable and practical and full of joy without even attempting to be anything other than that, surprisingly I've found them to be pretty well engineered too.