"Webasto" Sunroofs....

Baz

Posted Image

This beauty has me thinking....Does anyone know if full-length canvas sunroofs such as fitted here are still available?

I imagine they'd be expensive, but I can't help thinking that the R20 would be enhanced immeasurably if it were fiited with summat like that! 8)

It would be pretty great to buy one of those full length fabric sunroofs and fit them to a totally inappropriate car, like a Subaru Impreza or a Mercedes Sprinter van or something.

You can still have new Webasto sunroofs fitted to your car.There is a small garage near me in Blackheath South East London which has the rights to the old style range and they fit them too.They were featured in Practical Classics a number of years back.Their garage is small but the cars they have had in there is beyond belief! I'm having the TC fitted with one once I've restored it!http://www.tudorwebasto.com/

Hmmm....If the Twenty is as sound as I've been led to believe, then I think I'll swallow hard, have one of those fitted, and keep it FOREVER....Reckon it'd be my ideal car with a full-length opening roof! 8) [/i]

Baz, I can see how this would be appealing if you were buying the car at three years old from the franchised dealer's secondhand section, but at getting on for thirty years old I think that is the worst possible thing you could do to an unmolested roof panel and headlining. Just imagine the hassle to return the roof back to its original state.

I wouldn't be wanting to return it to it's original state, that would be somewhat of a retrograde step in my opinion....To me, this car is a long-term prospect, and it NEEDS a period sunroof....Renault have them shown in the brochures, and that's how I want mine if at all feasible.

If it was an important "Classic" then I understand the desire to keep it original, but it's just an old Renault....One that I intend to ENJOY! :D

I can understand everyone's concerns, however, one one side I have owned several cars with these sunroof's fitted, a fiat 126, 127 Palio & 127 Super 5 Speed, Scirocco Storm, VW Beetle and Fastcack [sic] to name a few and I must admit the open top added greatly to the enjoyment of the car. I used to love Bombing round the country lanes on balmy summers evenings in the 127's, roof back, hearing the crackle of the exhaust... :D On the other side, it can affect the rigidity of the shell, not that I recon the 20 is a 'press on' car in any sense of the word; More a waft-o-wagen. And fitting one could spoil the originality of the car. But as Baz says, his is a 'keeper' and its not like he's fitting a dodgy bodykit and 19'in 'bling bling' alloys, more something that was period and availiable on the vehicle as an option from new.

You aren't worried about possibly wrecking something that so much time has been spent on & something you have waited so long for? I thought you'd be wanting to treat it with kid gloves once you finally get it!

I certainly wouldn't be brave enough to cut a hole in the roof myself....I'd be leaving it to the professionals! :shock: When I get it, the car will be maintained regardless of cost, but it will be my daily driver, not just an ornament, covered up in the garage, that never gets used! :roll:

• 2 years later...

Posted Image

I cant actually believe that someone paid £300 to have a Webasto Hollandia 300 fitted to my poverty spec Micra. Im actually looking to replace it with a Hollinda 500 full length canvas roof myself.

Blimey....Where did this get dragged up from? :shock: I still pop in from time to time, but marriage break-up, work, and other things (women mainly! :D ) prevent me from doing much online at all!The R20 never did materialise (Despite my having paid for it!), and frankly, I can't be arsed to even talk to that horrible wretch Bowker anymore....Suffice it to say that if I ever have the misfortune to meet this individual, he'll come away minus a few teeth....Ponce! :evil: Still enjoying the flip-light Mazdas (The MX-5 is a hoot in this weather!), but have to admit to some serious Mercedes 190-shaped hankerings recently, which I'm finding it hard to ignore! :roll: The 323f is currently without tax/text, and needs some work....I'll probably try Ebaying it soon....If it doesn't sell, there may be another "Baz Shitbox Giveaway" in the offing, so watch this space! :) Hope everybody is well. :wink:

despite it being a prehistoric thread I thought it wold be worth while chipping in as I had my Daf 55 webasto fabric one restored last year.If you have an old fabric one I will tell you now - webasto are a waste of time - no facility for resroting them.They are also difficult - and I mean difficult to restore yourself - all looks easy tll you start!the best bet is to contact Peter Harvey Sunroofs in Sandwich. Peter is a former installer of fabric Webasto and Britax sunroofs - he did a superb job on the Daf using the original metal gear and recalled installing the original roof in the Daf sometime in the early 70's.He s just about the only guy doing these these days and flys all over the world restoring -this is worth considering should you buy some kit with a fabric roof - budget up to £400 for a restoration

Somewhere in the UK there exists a beige Citroen GSA Estate with custom brown vinyl roof and a Webasto sunroof.... It looked fantastic, but my friend sold it in the Autumn last year before I got the chance to snap it!Mark.