max power goes tits up - do you care?

autofive

on another forum it was announced Max power magazine has gone to the wall

several comments of ' good' and 'about time' etc

followed by several apprentice jounos barracking people for their comments

my question is: do you care that max power is no-more?

A 'new look' Max Power changed it's image a couple of years ago, seemingly trying to appear more upmarket and grown-up. I noticed that didn't last to long before going chavvy again. I've never bought a copy though, ever. Still, I suppose it's a shame but it could be argued that there are far too many CarMags available and some are going to have to go.

Preferred Redline myself, but each to their own.

A sad day anyway, yet more people out of a job... I don't know what the product testers'll do, except maybe get part time weekend jobs in Halford's punting sanding discs and half arsed vinyls to ZOMGRATLUKers.

I saw that thread, it was started by that Violet tit.

It's because it was popular when this type of thing was popular:

chavmobile014.jpg

Now this type of thing is popular:

Nissan-200sx_s14_turbo--272885.jpg

DSCF7565.JPG

It was a bible for that chavvy look, and now it's moved onto mags like Banzai, etc. I bought Max Power in 1993 and I have bought a dozen car magazines since then, they're all just mostly dodgy opinions and a bit of interesting tech, and the 75% that's left is just ADVERTS. I bought a sh*tload of computer mags when I was younger and ended up with hundreds of the buggers!

Apart from anyone losing their job I couldn't give a flying one. I actually blame them for all the neoned up, body kitted spacker mobiles that 'croozed' round towns and cities the length of Britain.

:lol:

Indeed Warren. Maybe if the insurance companies asked for photographs of all cars kids want to insure, then charged them a thousand quid per inch of Runcorn bridge/Meccano rear spoilers or wanky side skirts things would level up a bit?

Doesnt surprise me, no one buys it anymore anyway and it really isnt whats 'hot' amongst its target audience anymore, and probably hasnt been for nigh on half a decade anyway. Sadly, its appeal was based on something with limited lifespan, perhaps fitting that they should die completely at the same time. I tell you what, classic car magazines sell so much better than they used to (at least where I work), which makes me happy.

When I went to the Autosport show last year, I bought Max Power on the way there, and it was okay, Ill admit, but it just didnt have that readability factor to it, if youve read it once all you have is some colourful toilet roll. Magazines need to have that now, otherwise people just wont bother, hence why Classic and Sports Car is still going.

Hmmm, first I've heard about it closing. I went through a phase of buying Max Power/FastCar around 1996 and 1998 when they were showing an array of modded mk2 Astras and mk2 Fiestas etc.. I even went and bought FastFord and some generic BMW car mag I cant remember the name of, but eventually grew out of it.

As has been said before, scenes/tastes change and the market seems to have grown too big. I have noticed a huge rise in other car mags available today.

recently i have been downloading pdf versions of a lot car mags to read when bored and noticed the quality of the car mag is terrible, particularly the US variants, but some of the uk ones are really bad. just glorified glossy advertising pamphlets with the odd bland car dotted between the ads. its hardly surprising that 4 quid plus mags are not selling when so much more info is available on the www with the ability to contact the owners/builders and get feedback and questions answered.

car mags with a technical bent (PPC, CCC etc) may well live on, even if only via back issues and used copies, but most of the glossy titty car mags are doomed, and their used value is zero

My Cosworth was in it. October '98. They got all the spec completely wrong, I suspect they guessed. I'd just swapped it for an Integrale when they finally rang me to ask if they could take photos and feature it, so the garage I did the swap with got a massive ad.

I'd sent them the correct spec, but it mysteriously changed.