Garden full of shite

maximalist

I read about that recently in PC magazine as well, this Roll Royce was destroyed in a fire so he spend a lot of money getting it restored but he left the bodywork as it was and uses it as his everyday driver.

jurassic01.jpg

He has some very rare and expensive stuff in his garden but he won't sell any off it, he'd sooner see it rot away.

2hzics2.jpg

2cet01k.jpg

33o46yc.jpg

2uqox7p.jpg

Sorry, this guy is clearly a twat.

The roller is excellent, obviously, but the leaving all the cars outside thing just reeks of cuntishness. Presumably he isn't a car enthusiast in any way, shape or form. That'd be like claiming to be an art lover and then buying the Mona Lisa * and taking a scalpel to it for shits n' giggles.

Again - Twat

*insert other valuable artworks here

The roller is excellent, obviously, but the leaving all the cars outside thing just reeks of cuntishness. Presumably he isn't a car enthusiast in any way, shape or form. That'd be like claiming to be an art lover and then buying the Mona Lisa * and taking a scalpel to it for shits n' giggles.

Again - Twat

Exactly what I was going to say. The Roller is fair enough, but it annoys me when people let rare stuff rot because they refuse to sell it to someone who will use it.

Again - Twat

Exactly what I was going to say. The Roller is fair enough, but it annoys me when people let rare stuff rot because they refuse to sell it to someone who will use it.

Yeah, but it's his stuff. The local cuntwipe in Conwy doesn't understand why I don't get my Amazon back on the road instead of having it sat there. He'd rather buy it off me. There's fuck all chance of this happening. Mainly because it's my car and I can do what I like with it.

Just because you don't understand someone's motives doesn't always make it wrong. It seems like a waste to me, but it's his decision. He isn't a twat just because he doesn't want to sell. I've been offered £1100 for my Ellemann Jakobsen rocker cover by a German Amazon collector. I could do with the money but I'm not selling it. They're incredibly rare and I'll never get another one.

Does that make me a twat?

Yeah, but it's his stuff. The local cuntwipe in Conwy doesn't understand why I don't get my Amazon back on the road instead of having it sat there. He'd rather buy it off me. There's fuck all chance of this happening. Mainly because it's my car and I can do what I like with it.

Just because you don't understand someone's motives doesn't always make it wrong. It seems like a waste to me, but it's his decision. He isn't a twat just because he doesn't want to sell. I've been offered £1100 for my Ellemann Jakobsen rocker cover by a German Amazon collector. I could do with the money but I'm not selling it. They're incredibly rare and I'll never get another one.

Does that make me a twat?

Sorry Jon but that's totally different. The Amazon is off the road, but I know you fully intend to get it back there as soon as you can. I've seen you talk about how much you love that car and how you can't imagine ever parting with it.

I don't think this guy is a twat because he wont sell them, I think he is a twat for scouring the globe for incredibly rare cars and then dumping them all in his garden to rot away for no other reason than to watch them rust and piss off the purists. The fact that he was only able to do this because he is absolutely loaded just makes it worse, for £1 million he could have saved a lot of beautiful cars from obscurity but instead he has chosen to deny future generations some small pieces of history that can never be replaced. I'll say it once more, he is a twat.

The 'it's your property you can do what you want' argument doesn't wash with me at all, I don't believe that just because you paid money for something you have the right to destroy it, people that own old cars are merely custodians looking after them until someone else comes along to enjoy them - fair enough there comes a point when things are beyond saving, and then they are fair game. From the look of these pictures none of these cars are at that stage yet and it makes very really upset that this guy is willing them on to that stage where they couldn't ever be saved. The broken log on top of the AC saloon is one of the worst things, as you know that he cut that tree down, cut it up and carefully placed it in position to look 'authentic' (or rather, had some guys do it for him). The Tatra also upsets me, because I (think) I know where he got it from, and it was an auction - he must've outbid a lot of real enthusiasts who wanted to save it, because he has deeper pockets than they do and can do whatever he wants. That car sat around in similar conditions to this for decades, and I know there were a lot of happy people when it was 'saved' by someone who was willing to pay top money for it - clearly someone who 'loves cars'. :evil:

/rant

How many times have I read on this..if I had the space id fill it full of shite..ive had the same idea except being in New Zealand ..it will be easier for me to realise it cos of the amount of space..and so bleeding what if the cars are worth a fortune..i thinks its cool to see a XK120 rotting away rather than being shown with its £100000 gleaming restoration by a rich prick n club cronies who merely snarl and ignore us poor shitests..and if its art..i applaud it..tho i could suggest more natural ways of displaying them..

And..what are there so many haters on here..chavs..pikeys..rich Germans...tattooed folk...u guys should really get out there in the world and discover more about humanity..we all know it sucks..but u really should relax..and smile a bit more..

For some reason I despise the term 'true enthusiast'. Perhaps it's endless talk of MGBs and MX-5s 'being like Lotus Elans' that has lead to that phrase being irrevocably tainted.

Carry on.

It's not like there was only 1 example left of each car before he bought them.

Is that what it takes before something becomes interesting for you? One single example that in all likelyhood you'll never see, and will definitely never own. What a load of toss.

Rab, these cars were art before he stuck them in his garden, mass-produced industrial vernacular art - the best kind. Destroying things only makes the surviving examples more valuable, but I bet none of the 'snobby' Jaguar owners are applauding this guy for pushing up the value of their cars.

I honestly can't understand how anyone who claims to like cars could think this was 'cool' - It's short-sighted, selfish vandalism of the worst kind.

I'm not going to say any more about this, because I don't want to argue with people whose opinions I otherwise respect

Is that what it takes before something becomes interesting for you? One single example that in all likelyhood you'll never see, and will definitely never own. What a load of toss.

Rab, these cars were art before he stuck them in his garden, mass-produced industrial vernacular art - the best kind. Destroying things only makes the surviving examples more valuable, but I bet none of the 'snobby' Jaguar owners are applauding this guy for pushing up the value of their cars.

I honestly can't understand how anyone who claims to like cars could think this was 'cool' - It's short-sighted, selfish vandalism of the worst kind.

I'm not going to say any more about this, because I don't want to argue with people whose opinions I otherwise respect

I didn't say it was 'cool'.

I would never be able to afford any of those cars anyway, regardless of their state. Doesn't make it right though.

I suppose it all boils down to the fact that if you own something, you can do whatever you like to it, and maybe this guy just really likes patina or whatever, from his daily driver I would assume that is correct! In some senses I guess it draws the same reaction in the way a custom car sometimes does from a 'true enthusiast', that things should be left original and true to how they left the factory. Personally, I love custom cars because they often improve on the original just because that shot of originality from the owner has created something so individual, like a form of artwork (obviously not all customs are like that).

Okay, so who doesnt love a bit of patina/rust? But, in my opinion, it works better if started naturally, this guy has just left them there to do so... I prefer it when the car gets genuinely forgotten about, rather than delibrately.

sounds like grounds for a punch up, FIGHT!

I can't fight you bol, your fists are impossibly rare and artistic, you selfish bastard! It's not fair! I should have them!

All points considered..i dont come here to fight..far from it..but at least the collection of bush rust does provoke reaction..which is entirely what its supposed to do..and i think the general point of what we all agree on is that the mass disposal of perfectly good vehicles by society in general is far more environmentally criminal than what Herr Rost is upto here..but then of course..if it wasnt for that..none of us would own semi rare vehicles...

my opinion is that it is a bit of a waste. And that they're all supposedly from the 1950s but that's not true.

The goggomobils have normal doors, whereas the pre-1961 or so versions had suicide doors. The Petite is a shame - how many of those actually exist? Perhaps 20 in total!

A true enthusiast is someone who'll resurrect a car not for money but because he wants to, often spending more than the car is worth to keep it roadworthy - and that probably applies to many of us - it applies less to a cheque book restorer or someone who buys a car deliberately to let it rot.Enthusiasts do it for love, not for money.

Having said all this, while I disapprove of the man's intentions, I cannot argue that it doesn't look fantastic - cos it does. Imagine wandering through that wood!

While my views arent quite as strong as Barrett, I definitely see where he's coming from.

I do think he should be able to do what he wants with them as he owns them, however he surely cant have much respect for the cars or any fans of said cars. If I had the money I'd have a lot of cars - no doubt about it - but I'd try to atleast keep them in reasonable condition. I'd be embarrassed/ashamed if I'd have basically destroyed all these cars while in my ownership. There's not much stuff I genuinely hate, but even something I dont have any love for would not be subjected to being left in a field to rot while knowing other people would be wanting them.

Guest Leonard Hatred

Most of these cars survive in decent numbers anyway, it is a shame about weird stuff like the AC Petite he selected though.

[fence sitting] I can appreciate both sides of the argument really, the car graveyard is a bit contrived and wasteful, but [wankiness] I like the aesthetic of car graveyards and he's done a grand job of creating one.

Most of these cars survive in decent numbers anyway, it is a shame about weird stuff like the AC Petite he selected though.

[fence sitting] I can appreciate both sides of the argument really, the car graveyard is a bit contrived and wasteful, but [wankiness] I like the aesthetic of car graveyards and he's done a grand job of creating one.

Furry muff, I can't argue with anything you said there. I love the whole aesthetic of car graveyards too, I think we all dream about stumbling onto something like this in the middle of nowhere.

As an aside, have you noticed quite a few of the cars are not actually going to 'rust' in quite the way he hopes? The big AC and (I think) the Petite are aluminium, and the Zwickaus and Lloyds are composite placca stuff