PaykanHunter (Rootes Arrow Series & Iranian PAYKAN)

PaykanHunter

Pinched this from another forum but thought it might be of interest. Not sure it's quite the way I would have restored it but, still, looks lovely in "Autoshite / Outspan orange". It's supposed to be an Iranian taxi apparently...

More details here...

http://www.rootes1725cc.info/board305/v ... fa8a390187

:shock::shock::shock: What?!!!!!!..... Is that for real!!!?... Just wanted to mention few details here:

Paykan Taxis never had the Quad-Lights front-end (Humber Sceptre/Chrysler Hunter/Hunter GLS). Matter of fact the Humber Sceptre trim didn't exist in Iran. So sadly this doesn't make for a great replica of a Paykan Taxi, but it was done with good intentions (charity work) therefore I tip my "purist" hat here to the people involved.

The first generation of Paykan Taxis carried the Singer/Sunbeam grille and they didn't even had a badge on the front.

24228_1132809538668_1780186242_270311_4558238_n.jpg

Then they had the Hunter MKIII Front-end. (I know this one is missing the grille). 8)

lost_history+(2).jpg

And then the Hunter MKIV grille.

DSC_4427-2.jpg

And finally they had the Paykan facelift front end.

1815106568_16e72f7365_b.jpg

Paykan taxis used to regularly carry 5 passengers in them, not including the driver of course! So again that is going to be a hard to replicated in the UK these days! :mrgreen:

1-2-3-3.jpg

Can you imagine driving a Paykan for 20-30 years as a Taxi driver?!... Thru Tehran traffic? It was/is a grueling job!... :?

• 3 weeks later...
100_3000.jpg

I suddenly thought, I know someone who will really appreciate this! :D PH, check out my latest thread!

OMG!... Are you serious?... Another Epic trip by Hillman Hunter?!!!.... What a Brilliant Story!... I shall get myself a copy!... Cheers for posting this! How on earth did you find this book? It was just published!.... :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...
Hello All!....

YES I am off to IRAN!!!.... So get ready for a healthy dose of Iranian Shite in the upcoming future!.. .and of-course fresh photos of the remaining Mighty Paykans!!!!..... :mrgreen: Wish me Luck!....

Weren't you in Iran anyway? I am confused.......

Hello All!....

YES I am off to IRAN!!!.... So get ready for a healthy dose of Iranian Shite in the upcoming future!.. .and of-course fresh photos of the remaining Mighty Paykans!!!!..... :mrgreen: Wish me Luck!....

Weren't you in Iran anyway? I am confused.......

Nope, living in the USA!

• 6 months later...
Not too troubled by the massive earthquake then PaykanHunter? News reports suggest it is rather large I am surprised.

Thanks for being concerned, the earthquakes happened on south of Iran, and Tehran is far away from there, sadly thu we don't have much information from the affected areas. :cry:

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

In 1975 I worked very briefly at Chrysler's Stoke Aldermoor factory in Coventry where the CKD kits for the Iranian Hunter were assembled. Next to the packing area (which was huge) was the engine test area where complete engines were run for a while before being shipped. They were run on gas, from the town's gas supply, with a sort of elephant trunk thing to feed it through the carb. I don't recall how cooling was arranged but all the exhausts were hooked up to pipes going out the roof. Amazing sort of throbbing whirring noise of all these engines ticking over, and a layer of grey fumes hanging over the whole lot.

Not a trace of the factory left now but I guess there are a few of those engines still in use.  :-)

I reckon that if the price was right, and  a diesel under the bonnet, you could still shift a few pick-up here.

(Yes I know politics / safety regs etc. etc).

Sadly there are no Diesel available, matter of fact Diesels cars are sort of banned in Iran, don't ask me why please. The Gov. is clearly a mess here. But I agree they should offer them in Diesel. 

In 1975 I worked very briefly at Chrysler's Stoke Aldermoor factory in Coventry where the CKD kits for the Iranian Hunter were assembled. Next to the packing area (which was huge) was the engine test area where complete engines were run for a while before being shipped. They were run on gas, from the town's gas supply, with a sort of elephant trunk thing to feed it through the carb. I don't recall how cooling was arranged but all the exhausts were hooked up to pipes going out the roof. Amazing sort of throbbing whirring noise of all these engines ticking over, and a layer of grey fumes hanging over the whole lot.

Not a trace of the factory left now but I guess there are a few of those engines still in use.  

Stoke Aldermoor factory, is that were they build engines?... Fascinating story, I really thought that back in 1975, the full engine assembly was being done locally at the IranNational plant here in Tehran.