Too big to fail? Bailouts, banks and British Leyland...

Guest EccentricRichard

Guest EccentricRichard
I think at this point E_R I ought to let you know I'm a Maxi owner!!

Ah! I assumed by your name you were a Humber Sceptre man... my dad's first car was a Mk2 Sceptre, an ex-dealer demo with a rather souped-up engine...

Ah! I assumed by your name you were a Humber Sceptre man... my dad's first car was a Mk2 Sceptre, an ex-dealer demo with a rather souped-up engine...

Previous car was a MKIII Humber Sceptre - the green one in the logo at the top of this website to be precise!

Previous car was a MKIII Humber Sceptre - the green one in the logo at the top of this website to be precise!

Was it faster than a BMW 5 series?

Tip: In this question I am taking the piss.

:wink:

Guest EccentricRichard

Oh, I dunno, Dad's old Sceptre was bloody quick... 0-60 in about eight seconds, he said, which is a bit quicker than our Five. Like I said, the engine was definitely NOT stock.

Now, if you want a quick family car, I really cannot recommend anything better than this:

dscf1517_427x320.jpg

All two thousand seven hundred odd horsepower of it! And yes, it really is road-legal... and yes, I too am taking the piss :lol:

Oh, I dunno, Dad's old Sceptre was bloody quick... 0-60 in about eight seconds, he said, which is a bit quicker than our Five. Like I said, the engine was definitely NOT stock.

Now, if you want a quick family car, I really cannot recommend anything better than this:

dscf1517_427x320.jpg

All two thousand seven hundred odd horsepower of it! And yes, it really is road-legal... and yes, I too am taking the piss :lol:

Fuck you, my Amazon can do 0-60 in .5 of a second. It can also stop in the space of a gnat's cock and has no rust on it WHATSOEVER. In fact, it has never rusted ever in the space of 8000 years, you incorrigible bastard, how dare you suggest it ever did!

The lemon yeah - it's silver, not people. The oven is on.

Hey this is a BL thread and thats a Vauxhall Victor.

Ultimately, BL tried to cover too much of the market with its own goods, remember if one car you sell gets a bad reputation, and another has some issues (made wose by the press at the time loathing them), people will put two and two together (and in this case get five, because it was normally unjustified), they can end up assuming everything you make is rubbish. Sure, some of the cars sold really well, but the fact that most of them were on sale for a couple of years too long, it basically undid all the good work BL had done in the first place. And having models which competed against each other within your own company is a sure way to go into the red.

It's my thread, I started it and I'll do what I want! :twisted:

So did Charlotte the spider. Look what happened to her.

Guest EccentricRichard

Err... don't know that one.

Err... don't know that one.

So Arabella went into space for nothing. NOTHING! You unfeeling bastard!

Guest EccentricRichard

Erm... nope, you've lost me. Not a clue.

Guest EccentricRichard

Erm... nope, you've lost me. Not a clue.

Isn't it past your bedtime?

My bed-time is when I decide to go to bed. Far too old for set bed-times... mind you, I have got to be on a train at 8:24 tomorrow morning, and it's a good ten minutes on the bike, or twenty-five minutes walk, to the station...

My bed-time is when I decide to go to bed. Far too old for set bed-times... mind you, I have got to be on a train at 8:24 tomorrow morning, and it's a good ten minutes on the bike, or twenty-five minutes walk, to the station...

Take the Bimmer.

Ah - shit!

Never mind.

Guest EccentricRichard

Take the Bimmer.

Ah - shit!

Never mind.

Oh, if only... and the Five is on SORN at the moment, parents are too broke to get the brakes done - normally it'd be fine, but we've got a large bill for university fees coming up (my mother is just finishing a part-time PhD), plus a few other things... so only the 3-series is roadworthy, and I really don't much like it. Talk about spoiling the ship for a hap'orth o' tar... what could have been an excellent car is merely good, spoilt by its perennial coolant leakage, a constant misdiagnosis of an engine management problem, a back-breaking ride, far too much road noise unless you stick it on better tyres than it deserves... and a gutless, torqueless four-cylinder engine that you have to thrash to get going from 0-10mph. In-gear acceleration is surprisingly swift, though. Still, I don't like that car and I wouldn't use it even if I could... oh, and it's a real poverty spec one. It's got the "climate control" aircon and a 6-disc CD changer, and that's it. The interior is all drab grey, there's not a gizmo to play with, nothing. God's sake, even a Series One SD1 had cruise control and an electric sunroof... this has neither. In fact, no sunroof full stop.

Take the Bimmer.

Ah - shit!

Never mind.

Oh, if only... and the Five is on SORN at the moment, parents are too broke to get the brakes done - normally it'd be fine, but we've got a large bill for university fees coming up (my mother is just finishing a part-time PhD), plus a few other things... so only the 3-series is roadworthy, and I really don't much like it. Talk about spoiling the ship for a hap'orth o' tar... what could have been an excellent car is merely good, spoilt by its perennial coolant leakage, a constant misdiagnosis of an engine management problem, a back-breaking ride, far too much road noise unless you stick it on better tyres than it deserves... and a gutless, torqueless four-cylinder engine that you have to thrash to get going from 0-10mph. In-gear acceleration is surprisingly swift, though. Still, I don't like that car and I wouldn't use it even if I could... oh, and it's a real poverty spec one. It's got the "climate control" aircon and a 6-disc CD changer, and that's it. The interior is all drab grey, there's not a gizmo to play with, nothing. God's sake, even a Series One SD1 had cruise control and an electric sunroof... this has neither. In fact, no sunroof full stop.

Wow.

Guest EccentricRichard
I'll email the Royal College of Psychiatrists later on, to ask if 'Clarkson's Syndrome' exists. And if it doesn't, would they like a case study.

Nope. I've not got that much in common with Clarkson. More a James May. Long hair, like classical music and 70s rock, can't stand men who can't do a fucking thing and think it's cute.

Come on, who here can't put up a shelf? Who here can't countersink a screw? Who here can't wire a plug? Who here can't even bloody well cook?

Guest EccentricRichard

I never go on buses :D

At least you'd have company when you got stuck in the peat bog.

Yet another random contribution from you...

Guest EccentricRichard
That reminds me.. is it quicklime or slaked lime for burying bodies in?

Neither. And why/how the bloody hell have you got a picture of my cat Rosie in my front room window?!