Blowing in the WIND

trigger

I don't think its a bad looking car, I'd sooner have one of them over a KA convertible if I was a hair dresser, I just think the name is shite, if that was the most amazing looking car and I had the money to buy it then I don't think I would just because of the name.

Not sure how you can compare it to a Stag though?!

Guest EccentricRichard
Not to be accused of bullying, but I have my doubts that a Triumph Stag would be an ideal swap for a Renault Wind. Or that the typical Wind owner would prefer it to have firm sports suspension. Or that someone who wants a new car will go buy a used one instead.

The way I see it is that it's a convertible based on a small hatchback, so it'll probably find the same kind of owner as a Vauxhall Tigra or a Smart Cabrio. I would imagine the bulk of buyers are young women who like the idea of a small car that drives a bit like a Clio but with a roof that goes down. For some reason, there always seems to be a big Internet-based backlash against convertibles which aren't quick with great handling. I'm not a big fan of the Wind, but then it's not really meant to appeal to me. If I went on holiday to Greece and the rental car place had to give me a Wind because their last remaining Matiz was knackered, I'm sure it'd be a half-decent day out - probably the equivalent to my dad being bumped up to a Panda Cabriolet in about 1991.

Still, the car is "a gay" so what would I know?

I don't think its a bad looking car, I'd sooner have one of them over a KA convertible if I was a hair dresser, I just think the name is shite, if that was the most amazing looking car and I had the money to buy it then I don't think I would just because of the name.

Not sure how you can compare it to a Stag though?!

Right, first things first. The problem is, the platform it's based on was never brilliant to start with - the Clio it originated in was only a EuroNCAP three-star car IIRC, for a start. Trigger, the KA can't be had as a convertible... it was only the old 1997-vintage KA got a drophead version (albeit only late on in the product cycle). Yes, I daresay young women might like it... but they'd buy a Tigra for God's sake... for similar money an MX5 would be a much better bet.

As for me comparing the Wind to the E46 3-series and to the Triumph Stag, that was more just an illustration of my thinking on the buying of smallish convertibles generally than anything, since you could get really good examples of either for significantly less than a Renault Fart...

As for me comparing the Wind to the E46 3-series and to the Triumph Stag, that was more just an illustration of my thinking on the buying of smallish convertibles generally than anything, since you could get really good examples of either for significantly less than a Renault Fart...

Funny because you could have different shite for every day of the week, for the cost of servicing a bland 3-series. I understand what you were trying to say but what applies to you may not necesarily apply to the car buying public. Though I would happily see demand outstrip supply on the Stag :wink:

Mrs theStag quite likes the new Wind she likes the funky style and the fact that it looks like nothing else on the road - except the Midas :P. She would wait a year and allow Renner depreciation eat a lot out of the OTR cost if she were that interested though.

p.s. My Stag was named Rupert by an old flame who declared it "quite butch but a little bit too pretty, just like Rupert Everett" I think she called my car gay.

I'm not, it probably is and I couldn't care less :P

Guest EccentricRichard

Funny because you could have different shite for every day of the week, for the cost of servicing a bland 3-series. I understand what you were trying to say but what applies to you may not necesarily apply to the car buying public. Though I would happily see demand outstrip supply on the Stag :wink:

Mrs theStag quite likes the new Wind she likes the funky style and the fact that it looks like nothing else on the road - except the Midas :P. She would wait a year and allow Renner depreciation eat a lot out of the OTR cost if she were that interested though.

p.s. My Stag was named Rupert by an old flame who declared it "quite butch but a little bit too pretty, just like Rupert Everett" I think she called my car gay.

I'm not, it probably is and I couldn't care less :P

Friend of mine has a 330i convertible, E46 generation - and no, he's not gay. He's about 6 foot 4, heavily-built, and he's a builder. Oh, and he had the engine replaced with the Alpina 3.3 litre lump (something like 300bhp, I believe) - nowt wrong with the old engine, he just wanted more power without the M3's looks (or heavy iron engine) - and, with a big-bore exhaust and as little silencing as he can legally get away with, it's anything but bland... with its hairy camshafts, it idles with a threatening bassy burble, and, under acceleration, it rises through a creamy growl, 3000rpm-4000rpm an aggressive snarl, to the most incredible animalistic howl on full throttle... it goes like a stabbed rat, too.

So, bland? Not a bit of it...

As for the Renault, I'm noticing, with the high scuttle, high window line and high boot - how the fuck are you supposed to see out of it?! That's my biggest problem with most modern cars - visibility.

Guest EccentricRichard
There was one here the other day! You probably read about it in EVO

One what? And where's "here"? And no, I don't usually read EVO... only occasionally. What are you talking about?

Friend of mine has a 330i convertible, E46 generation - and no, he's not gay. He's about 6 foot 4, heavily-built, and he's a builder. Oh, and he had the engine replaced with the Alpina 3.3 litre lump (something like 300bhp, I believe) - nowt wrong with the old engine, he just wanted more power without the M3's looks (or heavy iron engine) - and, with a big-bore exhaust and as little silencing as he can legally get away with, it's anything but bland... with its hairy camshafts, it idles with a threatening bassy burble, and, under acceleration, it rises through a creamy growl, 3000rpm-4000rpm an aggressive snarl, to the most incredible animalistic howl on full throttle... it goes like a stabbed rat, too.

So, bland? Not a bit of it...

I am honestly trying my hardest not to pick on you ER. you do have some really good and interesting points but unfortunately they are diluted in ^^ that sort of Evo / Piston Heads / Barry boy willy waving. For the record I have never and will never own a BMW so clearly have absolutely no idea what this experience is like. My choice, my loss :?: I do howver share an interest in Stags, FD Victors and P6 Rovers :|

As for the Renault, I'm noticing, with the high scuttle, high window line and high boot - how the fuck are you supposed to see out of it?! That's my biggest problem with most modern cars - visibility.

Maybe get your builder chum to drive you about in it... Oh! hold that thought, might look a bit gay :P

it idles with a threatening bassy burble

Good metaphor. Don’t overdo it though

and, under acceleration, it rises through a creamy growl

Uh-oh

3000rpm-4000rpm an aggressive snarl

Steady on, I think you’re losing the audience. Must be enough by now, surely? :shock:

the most incredible animalistic howl

Too much

it goes like a stabbed rat, too.

Far too much

:cry:

Right, first things first. The problem is, the platform it's based on was never brilliant to start with - the Clio it originated in was only a EuroNCAP three-star car IIRC, for a start.

I don't really think NCAP ratings are really a valid dismissal of a platform, considering that a lot of the ratings are based on things like pedestrian impact - a lot of things which don't get tested (e.g. supercars) would get a lousy NCAP score, but it doesn't mean the platform itself is rubbish.

In any case, the MK2 Clio was a popular car and sold very well. I drove a 1.2 and couldn't complain, did what I expected it to. The chassis must have been decent enough for that Sport one they knocked out, so I think it'd be perfectly reasonable enough to do a non-sports cabriolet.

In any case, how much was even carried over - bits of the floorpan? The mechanicals are different, I don't think they even have the same wheelbase.

It shares a platform with the current Twingo, albeit slightly stretched and reinforced. Not with a 12 year old Clio.

So it should drive alright.

Anyway, the old Clio was quite a decent car to drive, I had a couple so I know this to be a fact.

NCAP tells you nothing of merit anyway. The difference between 4 and 5 stars can be down to something as simple as a illuminating symbol to remind you to wear your seatbelt.

Just an idea, but is it possible for every thread ER comments on to not turn into a massive quote fest of what he says?

On the subject of new cabriolets, Ill tell you one I dont like at all that much, the new RCZ by Peugeot is another case of poor proportion syndrome, that roofline is far too low and the front and rear length makes it look comical. Again, pretty pointless car, and it looks a hell of alot like the old TT from some angles.

peugeot-rcz2.gif

Guest Leonard Hatred

I wonder what Eccentric Richard would make of the Wind if it was based on a Renault 18.

All of these pointless 'niche filling' cars are ghastly.

Front of that Peugeot is hideous! But then that shouldn't be a surprise since its a modern Peugeot. Who the hell decided that "corporate face" was in any way nice?

It is so hard to resist repetitive quoting of ER. I think that is why everyone is getting pissed off.

I blame that long boot. I guess that just reinforces how much I dont know about new cars! Anyway, its ugly and Peugeot have really lost their way in my opinion. How can a company responsible for the 505 make such poor efforts? Which is made even more confusing by the fact Citroen appear to be on the up (I mean style wise, I know their reliability leaves much to be desired). Apologies for this not being on topic! How the hell did the C3 Pluriel last until this year?

I blame that long boot. I guess that just reinforces how much I dont know about new cars! Anyway, its ugly and Peugeot have really lost their way in my opinion. How can a company responsible for the 505 make such poor efforts? Which is made even more confusing by the fact Citroen appear to be on the up (I mean style wise, I know their reliability leaves much to be desired). Apologies for this not being on topic! How the hell did the C3 Pluriel last until this year?

For me, the last good looking Peugeot was the 406.

I dont think there's anything particularly wrong with it (although it's obviously not aimed at me), they can probably make a bit of money out of it and hopefully that means more stuff like the Clio Cup and R26R

Read the Autocrap road-test. It seems it's based on the old Clio platform... yep, the one they introduced in the late 90s.

..It IS based on the Twingo, but then the Twingo is partly based on the older Clio platform. Seeing as the Clio platform has quite a good reputation for handling (Cup/Trophy etc) I dont see that as a bad thing. I dont like the Twingo, but it does seem to go ok as it is..