Blowing in the WIND

trigger

Where did these things suddenly come from?.

renault_wind_f34_ns_401103_717.jpg

Over the last month or so I've seen quite a few of these little things about, I guessed it must be a Renault but i thought it was some kind of Clio Convertible, But after a quite look on the Renault website it's in fact called a WIND!. What a crap name! Why not just call it the Renault Fart or the Renault Flatulence, I can't even remember seeing seeing any advertising for it anywhere.

There used to be a time when i knew every make and model of new car on the road, I must be getting old.

Ugh, dont get me started on these things! I saw one the other day when I passed the Renault garage, and from the rear it must push that Nissanstein pretty hard for the worst design this year.A shame when the front design is neat and well rounded off.

Trigger, I agree with you, from when I was about 3 and up until I was 15, I knew every car on the road, but these days, what on earth is happening? Wind doesnt even seem like a logical name! 'Oh lets see how our Wind copes with this strong gale heading in, with a name like that its just made for these conditions'.

Based on a Twingo IIRC. I actually quite like it. Wouldn't want to own one but I think it's alright.

I used to know pretty much everything that was about, 'specially with working in the motor trade most of my life. Then a couple of months ago I went to a funeral and my cousin, who I haven't seen for a bit was driving a Peugeot 3008. Which until that point I had never seen nor knew it existed.

Guest Leonard Hatred
There used to be a time when i knew every make and model of new car on the road, I must be getting old.

I'm getting that way too, I think it's mainly due to manufacturers trying to fill every niche available. There must be far more models now than in the early '00s

oh, I'm liking that.

Eccentric Richard will have heard of it - he's of an age where he'll know every model!

I think, as we all get older, we actually realise we don't care about the latest Mercedes, Renault, Audi or whatever any more. My days of knowing every car in production stopped about fifteen years ago.

oh, I'm liking that.

Eccentric Richard will have heard of it - he's of an age where he'll know every model!

I think, as we all get older, we actually realise we don't care about the latest Mercedes, Renault, Audi or whatever any more. My days of knowing every car in production stopped about fifteen years ago.

Apart from your opening sentence: +1! :D It's true, you do stop caring, unless you're a fleet manager or some such; even then, you only care about the sector you deal in. In my case, deep love for classics has replaced any effort to know or care about new models. And no, "classic" to me doesn't have to mean Merc SL or E-Type, I'm just as happy with the humble Austin A40, designed by a bloke who did loads of Ferraris...

Seth: no way Jose, it ain't a Tesco Tank. :mrgreen:

The scale is all wrong, it would work if it was about three feet longer, six inches lower and about a foot wider.

Actually, at first sight, I thought Renno had inflated a Lotus Europa-shaped balloon, and signed it off at that. It's just too damn chunky, and needs to be lower and longer at least. Visually unappealing, but it'll get 5 zillion Euro-NCAP points. Which a Europa wouldn't.

And where's the space in the arches to fit rubber band tyred 20" wheels? This'll never do, I'm going to write an angry letter... :lol:

I saw one this morning! Was a nice dark blue shade that actually suited it nicely and had a full roof on (presume its got a form of removable hardtop?)

I also saw a convertible Citroen CX which got me much more excited...

A CX convertible would be far more interesting

Not this one?:

IMG_5663.jpg

Yes that one! At least I think so. Had a wing across the back which I think I can just see there. It was going the other way from me. Driver acknowledged me (in the Hillman) while I think I was uncontrollably mouthing "What the Fu..." back at him :lol:

myglaren - can you poat me the link to where you found that please!! This is somewhere on autopuzzles and it's been bugging me that I cant find it anywhere!

DNJ - It IS part of the car iirc, it is like a solid tonneau covering that goes up to the back seats. i don't think it has a roof at all.

myglaren - can you poat me the link to where you found that please!! This is somewhere on autopuzzles and it's been bugging me that I cant find it anywhere!

DNJ - It IS part of the car iirc, it is like a solid tonneau covering that goes up to the back seats. i don't think it has a roof at all.

I took that at the CX/M rally in Little Horwood in September.

He said it was for kiteing or something like and has a leather tonneau for it too.

You are correct except that there are no rear seats, or weren't when I took that. Rear doors are welded shut and it is completely bare inside - a pickup really.

ETA: Note Roger Bradford in the background there. The last time I saw him. He seemed to be in perfect health at the time. RIP Roger.

Guest EccentricRichard
oh, I'm liking that.

Yeah, heard of it. Thought it'd be fucking awful from the start. Take the half-decent Twingo, cut the roof off it, add a load more weight, oh and it's not got the sports suspension either, I think it's even softer than the soft springs you can get on the Twingo... plus you look like a gay hairdresser's gayer brother's even gayer lover in it. No thanks...

EDIT

Read the Autocrap road-test. It seems it's based on the old Clio platform... yep, the one they introduced in the late 90s. Friend of mine had one. Biggest piece of crap ever. Always letting her down. Rusted like buggery. Luckily, the Wind uses the Twingo's engines and transmissions, so that ought to be alright.

Still, the 1.6 litre 133bhp version costs £16,400, for which you could buy the mother and father of all E46 330i dropheads, maybe even an M3 (though the E46 M3 conv. looks too much like a drug dealer's car, much much less cool than the coupé - not even as cool as a 330i) - or, better still, an old Triumph Stag. Priciest Stag I ever saw went for eighteen and a half grand on eBay about a year ago... I think I'll have mine in Magenta, and maybe drop in a modern Jaguar V8 (if it's already been deprived of its Triumph engine - otherwise leave well alone methinks).

Not to be accused of bullying, but I have my doubts that a Triumph Stag would be an ideal swap for a Renault Wind. Or that the typical Wind owner would prefer it to have firm sports suspension. Or that someone who wants a new car will go buy a used one instead.

The way I see it is that it's a convertible based on a small hatchback, so it'll probably find the same kind of owner as a Vauxhall Tigra or a Smart Cabrio. I would imagine the bulk of buyers are young women who like the idea of a small car that drives a bit like a Clio but with a roof that goes down. For some reason, there always seems to be a big Internet-based backlash against convertibles which aren't quick with great handling. I'm not a big fan of the Wind, but then it's not really meant to appeal to me. If I went on holiday to Greece and the rental car place had to give me a Wind because their last remaining Matiz was knackered, I'm sure it'd be a half-decent day out - probably the equivalent to my dad being bumped up to a Panda Cabriolet in about 1991.

Still, the car is "a gay" so what would I know?