Rover BRM

Station

Guest EccentricRichard
A 2cv is also a very cheap car to insure etc.... so if you pulled your head out of your own arsehole, you may realise that somethong of that ilk represents your best chance of gaining some actual driving skills and experience (and respect from those who have been there before)....

I looked into it, even it was going to cost the thick end of two grand a year to insure. Minis aren't as cheap as you'd think either.

Guest EccentricRichard
Well when you do start driving, have a go in one, trust me it WILL be an experience! I don't know if it will change your mind about them, but you might find its fun :D

Oh, possibly so. With 0-60 taking, what was it, 45 seconds?, it's about as slow as a car gets, which doesn't really suit the busy roads around here, but I dare say it's one of those cars that's so terrible it actually becomes great...

No. my dad going somewhere in his Berlingo is "about as slow as a car gets". Trust me.

Anyway. You'd be suprised. The 2cv suits all types of road. If its busy you probably won't get the chance to do 60/70, most places are seeing more and more 50 limits and what you can't do on the straight bits you'll make up for on the corners. Undertaking Beemers on roundabouts (door handles scraping the floor) or losing the clio sport thats been on your arse in the next road with speedbumps more than make up for any of the "downsides" of 2cv ownership.

If you really think the top-speed/acceleration of a car is the limiting factor of journey times or even usability, then you really are in for a big shock. And points on your licence :roll:

I don't think acceleration is in any way a defining factor, I do take it all with a healthy pinch of salt. I just know what the roads round here are like, where you've got a small gap to get into and the only way you're going to make it is with a few thou revs of a moderately powerful engine, otherwise you're going to be stuck at that bloody junction for half an hour... I once rode in an Austin A55 Cambridge and, nice car as it was, trying to get around with all the twats in their Audis, and, yes, diesel BMWs, was damn near impossible. Mind you, the 2CV does have weight on its side...

I looked into it, even it was going to cost the thick end of two grand a year to insure. Minis aren't as cheap as you'd think either.

We have all been there, I worked every weekend and school holiday from the age of 14 just so i could afford my lessons and first car, It's something you have to do, I passed my test first time as i couldn't afford to fail, My first car was a £500 Vauxhall Nova and the insurance was over £1000, Even in my mums names, and that was 13 years ago so we all know what it's like.

Guest EccentricRichard

We have all been there, I worked every weekend and school holiday from the age of 14 just so i could afford my lessons and first car, It's something you have to do, I passed my test first time as i couldn't afford to fail, My first car was a £500 Vauxhall Nova and the insurance was over £1000, Even in my mums names, and that was 13 years ago so we all know what it's like.

Yeah, well, it's fine if you can get a job. The economy was in a hang sight better state 13 years ago... albeit not much beyond that, the early 90s were pretty terrible.

Guest EccentricRichard
And being 19 I'm sure your can remember the early 90's well then.

No, I didn't say that. Just a matter of talking to those who DO remember it... the recession of 1992 (it was 92, wasn't it?), Black Wednesday, et al...

I don't think acceleration is in any way a defining factor, I do take it all with a healthy pinch of salt. I just know what the roads round here are like, where you've got a small gap to get into and the only way you're going to make it is with a few thou revs of a moderately powerful engine, otherwise you're going to be stuck at that bloody junction for half an hour... I once rode in an Austin A55 Cambridge and, nice car as it was, trying to get around with all the twats in their Audis, and, yes, diesel BMWs, was damn near impossible. Mind you, the 2CV does have weight on its side...

I've driven everything from tractors to Minis to new Range Rovers through Leatherhead and that part of the world, and never had a problem. I take it your local driving school must use A3 quattros or something just to cope.

The economy was in a hang sight better state 13 years ago... albeit not much beyond that, the early 90s were pretty terrible.

Don't talk such utter shite. You live in Surrey for fuck's sake, as does my niece and has just started at Starbucks at the weekends. 20 years ago I lived on Clydeside and managed to find work.

The economy was in a hang sight better state 13 years ago... albeit not much beyond that, the early 90s were pretty terrible.

Don't talk such utter shite. You live in Surrey for fuck's sake, as does my niece and has just started at Starbucks at the weekends. 20 years ago I lived on Clydeside and managed to find work.

Maybe he's been making the same mistake at job interviews as he has on here - he goes for an interview at McDonalds and gives the manager a three hour lecture (or a three hour regurgitation of stuff he's read on Wikipedia) on the history of the fast food business and how best to run a restaurant. I can imagine that approach would put a lot of people off hiring him.

Fucks sake, in '92 I was 21, skint, and living in Liverpool. I was also unemployed for most of it. Had occasional work as a security guard in a BT exchange and occasionally at the market on a Sunday.

Still managed to find £1500 to insure a Mk2 RS2000 Custom. Mainly by getting off my arse and doing whatever work was out there. Part time sorting mailbags for the Royal Mail (who's proper staff were on strike), making glasses cases on an injection moulding machine for a couple of months, fixing, buying and selling cars on the path.

Of course, I suppose nowadays it's not worth working unless there's a career and millions at the end of it.

Guest EccentricRichard

I live in Surrey, and jobs have been hard to come by for ages. Our towns are fucked. Loads of empty units. Ridiculous rents.

Guest EccentricRichard
Maybe he's been making the same mistake at job interviews as he has on here - he goes for an interview at McDonalds and gives the manager a three hour lecture (or a three hour regurgitation of stuff he's read on Wikipedia) on the history of the fast food business and how best to run a restaurant. I can imagine that approach would put a lot of people off hiring him.

Not bloody likely. I don't get interviews. I rarely even get a reply - and that despite giving a textbook application, nothing unnecessary and everything that is necessary. Been over them with four careers advisers and three HR managers in big companies. Seemingly no problems with them. Don't understand it.

I found pizza delivery to be quite pleasant, and every single fast food place needs drivers. I did it expecting to last 1 month max to get me out of the house, but I did it for four month, only finishing because I couldn't rely on my car as I was doing 100 miles per night. I liked it because 90% of the time I was driving and smoking fags. With no work on, we watched the telly in the back room or just talked about rubbish. The run up to Christmas was hilariously busy, it was me and the 'chef'. We were getting about 40 orders per night and every time I came back in to pick up another 6 orders, my mate was crimson with steam coming out of his ears because he couldn't handle cooking and answering the phone. The last straw was when he put the thermal receipts on the pizza boxes in the oven which had the addresses on and they just went black because of the heat. I got 50 quid pre-wages each night from tips and 60p per customer. If you can't find work, there's always something. I was working from home in the day and I found it nice to get out to drive and make a bit of money doing it.

I suppose I'm saying I'd do any job as long as the other people are OK. I've had proper laughs working agency work in factories, but some of my worst jobs have been proper ones that were well paid and all the fellow workers were arseholes. There's something about getting up and doing a day's work, I hate being unemployed.

Sorry to stray completely off topic.

Guest EccentricRichard
I found pizza delivery to be quite pleasant, and every single fast food place needs drivers. I did it expecting to last 1 month max to get me out of the house, but I did it for four month, only finishing because I couldn't rely on my car as I was doing 100 miles per night. I liked it because 90% of the time I was driving and smoking fags. With no work on, we watched the telly in the back room or just talked about rubbish. The run up to Christmas was hilariously busy, it was me and the 'chef'. We were getting about 40 orders per night and every time I came back in to pick up another 6 orders, my mate was crimson with steam coming out of his ears because he couldn't handle cooking and answering the phone. The last straw was when he put the thermal receipts on the pizza boxes in the oven which had the addresses on and they just went black because of the heat. I got 50 quid pre-wages each night from tips and 60p per customer. If you can't find work, there's always something. I was working from home in the day and I found it nice to get out to drive and make a bit of money doing it.

I suppose I'm saying I'd do any job as long as the other people are OK. I've had proper laughs working agency work in factories, but some of my worst jobs have been proper ones that were well paid and all the fellow workers were arseholes. There's something about getting up and doing a day's work, I hate being unemployed.

Sorry to stray completely off topic.

Fair enough. I really hate being unemployed too... for fuck's sake I'm 19, still living with and largely dependent on my hard-pressed parents. It's not fair on them and it's difficult for me too. I'd love to be driving, collecting old shite, going down the pub a few nights a week, working, but life ain't like that, unfortunately. Local job centre is a pile of shit, too. Half the idiots work there, if it were down to me, would be in need of its assistance...

Mind you, one of my college mates tells there are a load of Christmas temp jobs available... I'll look at them and consider applying if they're not too soul-destroying...

This thread has reminded me of this astounding prototype I chanced upon in Padworth breakers a few months back.

sam0471c.jpg

Even better, it appears to have a cloaking device which even has the DVLA tricked.

Registration P385KVV

Make ROVER

Model 216

Description SI

You wanna know how to get a job? Dont ever be picky, money is money at the end of the day.

Not bloody likely. I don't get interviews. I rarely even get a reply - and that despite giving a textbook application, nothing unnecessary and everything that is necessary. Been over them with four careers advisers and three HR managers in big companies. Seemingly no problems with them. Don't understand it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems as if you're probably aiming too high. Do anything that brings in money. McDonalds, petrol stations, cleaning, labouring, bar work, factory work, anything. Work tends to go to people who are working, if you sent in a CV with "currently working in a meat factory, sweeping the floor and taming maggots" it would look better than "Unemployed".

As someone who has hired and fired people over the years, I'd rather take on someone who's done a load of truly shit jobs than someone who's signed on and not managed to find anything. It shows a work ethic to do a shit job, that's valuable. More valuable than the ability to write a great CV in most cases. Big 'unemployed' gaps in work history (and I've personally got these) tend to indicate to an employer that you're likely to not turn up or to quit at unfortunate moments.

As for there being no work, well, that's bollocks. There's no work you deem worthy, but there is work out there. I'd say 3 out of 5 petrol stations are crying out for staff to do the 'orrible shift. It's money.