Personalised reg saddo plebscum

Des

Do we remember when the can't drive for toffee low self worth dickwad brigade would pay good money for pre '63 registrations to fake a display of status, seemed to go into decline for the last decade as easy credit enabled the losers to impress the shit out of everyone with the latest registration, and so much better than tenuously spelled name or initials that was. Well, recently I've noticed a lot of cars, recent stuff, that should have 01, 02, 03, 04 etc on their plates, instead bear letter prefix from 80's and 90's, H, J and K reg seem very common, I'm assuming these registrations may have become liberated during the scrappage disgrace. It would appear that the 'cherished number' has changed from being a lifesyle statement in its own right, for ridiculous twats, to a means of hiding the age of a car, for ridiculous twats. Wish I hadn't noticed, not like I needed to think any less of society.

I have a J plate on my Land Rover. The original, issued in 1970. I also have a L plate on my other Land Rover. Issued in 1973 on a 1961 vehicle. I am looking for a 4+2 plate to suit it.... Does that make me a saddo? I did once have a Pug 305 Diesel estate with C411JFW on it, it looked like CALL JFW, which is my initials. Shame it got scrapped by a mate who borrowed it................. I would certainly keep any plate off an early car if it seemed interesting. I like them. Numbers are good. Letters equally so, but there's more of them.

I've transfered a 6 digit plate from my old M reg volvo to my 3 year old Panda - a bit pointless admittedly but I personally don't like the new style of plates. You don't need to scrap the car to transfer plates - I applied for a replacement plate for the Volvo which cost me £25, the DVLA supplied the old car with a age related plate and job done.

My XJR came with an M reg 'XJR' plate on it. I quite like it. Easy to remember.

The other thing to remember is that with very few exceptions, most reg numbers after 1983 with a number under 20 were bought ones right from the start as the DVLC kept them to flog. There are lots of people who've kept the same reg for years after buying one 15 years ago when it became common practice, these plates aren't stolen from some huge hoard of scrappage Acclaims or whatever.

There are plenty of examples of that in my road alone. There's one chap who's had his A plate since the mid '80s and those plates change car every 18 months or so. The local builder has an S prefix plate with his company initials on it, that's on a different new(ish) Merc every 6-12 months. There's the old Polish chap who's had a pre-63 plate with his initials for as long as I can remember, it's a Scouse series of letters and he had the original vehicle for a good few years.

If I sell this Jag, I'm gonna keep the plate. It's not the 'original' plate from it, that was another bought one anyway.

Guest Leonard Hatred

I like the numberplate on my Golf, P126(like the Fiat) RGB(like Red Green Blue). I find most post-2001 layout 'plates a lot harder to remember.

Mines quite simple, It's T80 MDC, T for Trigger, 80 for the the year i was born and MDC are my initials.

My family bought it for me, It was only £300 of the DVLA site and that included the transfer fee, the worse thing is the £100 change for when you change it from car to car.

I've never had a 'personal' plate as such, but all three of my A35's have their original numberplates, which would probably be worth a fair bit if I wanted to sell them. But they are not going anywhere, as I want to keep the cars original. I've got:

990 BKN on the '57 A35

5187 NO on the '58

640 TMP on the '59

VSK 997 on the A55 (age related number, but it's not bad).

I saw a plate like Des is talking about yesterday actually, H*** BEV on a new Yaris.

Guilty as charged :wink: I have a three letter three number one (currently on retention while I change cars) that I bought from a friend about 15 years ago. It was on a Lotus Elite he was selling at the time, but it originally came from a motorbike from the Bournemouth area, about 20 years ago. Mrs A has N 6 plus her initials on a 2004 car; I bought it for her as a birthday present a couple of years ago from the DVLA. I think it was about £250 which is hardly more than a set of furry seat covers :)

Are the odd ones names or car models? Neighbour has S 40 plus his initials on his Volvo (guess which model :) ) although it is later than that.

I'm seeing less vanity plates since plad started clamping down on fonts and spacing. Plenty of Scouse limos now displaying strange looking plates, e.g. B 76 LMD which used to read BIG LMO.

Went to London today and I was amazed by the amount of illegal plates. Not only the spacing but barely readable fonts as well

Oooops! I've ruffled feathers. No offence intended to anyone, I'm afraid I live in an area with a disproportionate amount of the ideas above their station types who do sterling work in ensuring this country continues being an increasingly miserable place to live. I spent too long today on the road waiting for the brainless masses to get on with their futile meanderings, and I noticed near every third 'modern' had a wrong plate, normally, as far as plates are concerned I couldn't give a monkeys, however, bitter experience has taught me to stay alert for modern cars with a pre 63 plate, they are driven quite poorly, if I ever encounter one driven competently I'll change my opinion. I won't really ever get my head around the whole buying a registration thing, in the same way as I wouldn't pay good money for a different house number or postcode. I've had years of use from old cars that cost less than getting hooked up with the cheapest of plates.

Incidentally, I have a car with its model No. in the reg, this was done from new about 60 years ago when it would have cost nothing, log book says non transferable I think because it was off the road for decades.

A couple of times recently I've been comming home from work and ended up behind a mid-sized Chevrolet/Daewoo thing with a re-spaced 'M' prefix plate in a pleeling pound shop plastichrome surround... The whole thing just screams CLASS... :roll:

Personally, I've never been a fan of personalised plates and I don't intend on getting one. I like to see how old a car is and where it comes from. Call me sad if you will, but it's one of my hobbies whilst out on the road.

One of my neighbours bought a brand new black Land Rover Discovery about four months ago on a '10' plate. Within three weeks the plate had gone and been replaced by E4 ***. I presume the last three digits being his initials. I haven't a clue what the 'E4' is supposed to be.

Each to their own though. If they want to throw good money at what's essentially dead money it's their choice...

I'm not into private plates either but each to their own and all that.

I don't mind the six digit pre '63 plates, they look ok. I just don't like the newer plates with letters mashed together and twisted to spell the owners name (Range Rover Sport K333ELY I'm looking at you), that just looks stoopid.

I like the idea that personal plates can be withdrawn at any time without compensation, the DVLA could just one day go "Right, no personal plates" and they'd all be gone. I absolutely love the idea of someone paying thousands for a daft bit of plastic which is worth nothing and them bleating about the rights they don't have. It appeals the meanspirited side of me.

Never really understood personalised plates.

My parents wanted to buy me one for my 18th, and were a bit shocked when I told them not to waste their money. I put that cash towards my insurance and was still short.

D'oh.

In other news, pub experts tell me that the only thing that's worth any money on my Volvo (which is worthless, apparently) is the number plate. Yes, I can see KYO 5D being worth an absolute fucking mint to a racist caricature. Or something.