Opel Senator 4x4

dieselnutjob

I wonder what the 4x4 system was lifted from?

It was a full Ferguson Formula system on the Senator if I remember rightly. CAR did a full test on one of the civilian models they released.

Yes, someone posted pictures of it in the museum with the information board, too.

It made interesting reading; almost every part of it was beefed up, fully armoured, and it weighed in something stupid like three tonnes.

I would thoroughly recommend Tony Geraghty's book 'Brixmis' which tells the full story of Brixmis from the end of world war 2 right down to the fall of the communism. All kinds of different vehicles were used over the years and it is a really interesting read - unbelievable some of the stuff that used to go on !!!

• 8 years later...

The Brixmis (British mission) cars were not supposed to be covert. They were allowed to be the other side of the Berlin wall, although were seldom welcome and there were plenty of places they were forbidden to enter. (Prohibited zone sign? What sign?)

They often succeded on their ops. because they could out-drive the DDR police but it could have been fatal if their cars were not recognisably Brixmis and they were cornered or pursued.

(I've just read the book referred to above, and can heartily reccommend it)