Cortina Resto' - Updated

Minimad5

Been working on "reanimations" -(From NoSkoolJustCool)-Cortina over the weekend.

And as a member or two has requested / complained about lack of "shite" i thought i shall throw this out there.

Anyway pictures ...

Work in progress :

P1180783.jpg

P1180784.jpg

P1180785.jpg

P1180786.jpg

P1180787.jpg

P1180788.jpg

Work Started ...

P1180790.jpg

P1180792.jpg

P1180793.jpg

P1180794.jpg

P1180796.jpg

P1180795.jpg

Watanabe will NOT be beaten by a box :

P1180799.jpg

"Posh" plates

P1180806.jpg

P1180811.jpg

P1180814.jpg

.... Back to business...

P1180822.jpg

P1180824.jpg

P1180826.jpg

More to come in a two weeks or so :)

If you want to follow the complete progress (Start to finish) ... then click the link below

http://noskooljustcool.proboards.com/in ... hread=1880

the joys of Cortina's....I think I must have done enough welding on them to have built about 100 of the buggers from scratch :lol:

tidy repair panel by the way 8)

Thanks !(And thanks too Ash') .... the home-made panels took me a wee while longer than expected, just need to sort the grot underneath out and get welding.

Then repeate the same on the passengers side ... repair the inner sills and then sort out the boot floor (Did i mention the rear an front screen surrounds ?)

All in all it 'shouldn't' take too long.

An no doubt from my "teaching skillz", it has inspired the cortina owner - Mark, to get cracking also :)

Watanabes grinding abilities were put to perfect use anyway (After he had stopped cutting boxes, polerstyreen and other random things with a flapper disc an grinder) :lol:

Hey excellent work Minimad4!!! Old re-an had that cortina up for sale for not a lot I seem to recall, I was quite tempted myself, I have this idea that Cortinas drive a lot better than they have any right to and I fancied finding out for sure. Looks like no one bought it, which i am surprised at as it looked well smart for £400 or so.

You are certainly getting out there and living the shite dream with your chips on a manky piece of wood, 9.6/10

Hey excellent work Minimad4!!! Old re-an had that cortina up for sale for not a lot I seem to recall, I was quite tempted myself, I have this idea that Cortinas drive a lot better than they have any right to and I fancied finding out for sure. Looks like no one bought it, which i am surprised at as it looked well smart for £400 or so.

You are certainly getting out there and living the shite dream with your chips on a manky piece of wood, 9.6/10

It's all about the wood 8) .... :lol:

And yeah i'm surprised too, "IF" he sells it then i hope to buy it an give it to "Ye Old Man" as a late birthday present, hopefully he'll like it.

Minimad4 ? - :lol:

Good work fabricating that panel, cutting out tiny little rectangular holes in sheet steel doesn't look like something i'd enjoy that much.

Have you found your welding skillz have improved quite a bit since you've been TIGging?

Yeah the ractangle holes took an age (Before SCTSH_ANDY lent me his Dremell).

Welding "SKILLZ" - Very much so, as with TIG it focused me more on cleaning the area, making it look good as well as being strong and many other factors.

If i could, i would TIG all the cortina panels as i personally prefer using a tig set. But it would cost me too much in Argon and so on.

I will say though - Anyone Scared to weld, DON'T BE ! . just buy a small an cheap set and go from there, even get someone in the know to teach you the basics.

Your wife / Girfriend or partner will not like it , as you WILL end up with more shit an welding projects, but anyone can weld given the time to practice ! :)

Billy - :oops: Thanks mate :D .... Anyone can do it, just takes time

Good work Mark, wifey has got me a mig from B&Q for Crimbo which was reduced from £240 - £100 and I will be starting to try and put some metal back on the Herold my lad got for last Crimbo, been spending time trying to seized engine sorted, Not worked tho, just a couple of 'stupid questions' what do you use to cut the metal other than the grinder, do I need to get a selection of tin snips, and where do you buy the sheet metal from and how thick do I need, is it worth getting one of those dvd's on welding off the bay, I read in pc that it is better to push the weld other than drag the weld, whats your opinion. Been told that the ford v6 essex is an easy fit in the Herald so i may go that route in the end just need to get disc brake setup off a spitty of dolomite rwd.

COVER THE BLOODY WINDSCREEN!

I did with Jons overalls ! .... shh don't tell him :wink:

Couple of 'stupid questions'

what do you use to cut the metal other than the grinder.

Do I need to get a selection of tin snips.

Where do you buy the sheet metal from and how thick do I need.

Is it worth getting one of those dvd's on welding off the bay.

I read in pc that it is better to push the weld other than drag the weld, whats your opinion.

I used a pair of Gilbo's, and having a few different types does help (left cutting, straight cutting, and right cutting.)

I never bought the sheet metal the Cortina owner (Mark) did, i think it was either .8 or 1.22mm thick (Cannot remember). But ebay can be a good place for small sheets.

Dvd's from eVil bay - I have never watched one so cannot comment, i would say the best way to learn is to watch someone else who can be by your side and talk you through step by step, as a DVD cannot give you feedback.

The most important thing about welding is having a clean surface, from here such things as power, wire feed speed, angle and hand speed can be worked out (This all takes time and a lot of experimenting will show up patterns ... then go from there)

Push or Pull - There is no "right" answer so to speak, but once you get the weld pool i personally think it is best to drag it away from the initial weld (That way you do not fill your welder full of shite)

But the best way is to get stuck straight in there and post pictures if you get stuck.

If you are ever local (or i'm local to you) i'd happily try an teach you -(I'm not very good though)

Best of luck !!

(And don't give up when you start blowing holes, just keep practicing)

Good work Mark, wifey has got me a mig from B&Q for Crimbo which was reduced from £240 - £100 and I will be starting to try and put some metal back on the Herold my lad got for last Crimbo, been spending time trying to seized engine sorted, Not worked tho, just a couple of 'stupid questions' what do you use to cut the metal other than the grinder, do I need to get a selection of tin snips, and where do you buy the sheet metal from and how thick do I need, is it worth getting one of those dvd's on welding off the bay, I read in pc that it is better to push the weld other than drag the weld, whats your opinion. Been told that the ford v6 essex is an easy fit in the Herald so i may go that route in the end just need to get disc brake setup off a spitty of dolomite rwd.

Tin snips are good, get at least one pair.

Sheet metal I can usually get from my motor factors, but I believe that Zintec stuff is the stuff to have. 18swg or 20swg is the thickness I tend to use, 18 being thicker.

Welding itself - spend at least half an hour practicing on anything but the car - try some old scrapyard panels and other stuff first. This allows you to see what a weld looks like just before it turns into a huge great melted hole! I find that it's also good to learn how to weld with either hand, too - it makes getting into awkward spaces easier.

Try welding with dirt, rust, paint, and underseal on the test pieces first, then try a nice really clean piece of metal and see how much easier it is to weld neatly - cleanliness is next to (welding) godliness.

Then of course, there's the RR Victor rebuild thread to give you insiration:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... 793&page=1

I liked the pictures, they were very good. Two questions:

What are the Fries to go like? I like how they're separated in a neat little grid but they look like they would be soft, wet and horrible like Micro Chips.

How long ago did your wife buy that welder, Babydriver? I'm going to B&Q tomorrow if I think they have any left.

What are the Fries to go like? I like how they're separated in a neat little grid but they look like they would be soft, wet and horrible like Micro Chips.

They are actually quite nice, but there is a fine line between "Done" and "NUKED" ... so keep a close eye on them.

(The neat grid is why i bought them - Not OCD :oops: )

Only last week We got the mig, all the big B&q's had sold out so I looked on line for all the out of the way stores and found one. Good luck with your search, I can tell you its a 40-120amp mig last retail price £185 from £240 now £100 Sorry I can't remember the name as wifey has sent it to Santa

• 1 month later...

Heyup! MM5 has asked me to furnish this with a few new pics, and its the least I can do. :)

I decided to lighten the load, paying for storage does that, after noone (apart from a lad sitting in Ireland) jumped on the Corty when it was for sale, I decided it was a sign to keep it and enjoy the wee classic specially as I'd got it driving and squirming up and down the 'private' road, MM5s 'offers to buy' were tempting but since then I spent 2 more months rent and loads of bits and stuff so am in deep! :D

While he was gone I had a few graveyard shifts after work on my bill.

I didn't want to disturb MM5s great progress so I started on the other side.

P8211484.jpg

DSCF6339.jpg

grotz - a lot of layers to atach there under the screen and around that area...hmm

Oct2010011.jpg

I copied MM5s craftywork from the other side

Oct2010017.jpg

and roughly made the bit for underneath too, will need tweaks as there was a bit to cut out in the end.

DSCF6344.jpg

It looks nice! Quite happy with that, few tweaks

Oct2010014.jpg

DSCF6341.jpg

looks related to MM5s work, ace

I made an A pillar panel too (not pictured), its not perfect but salvageable... Anyone know where to buy a panel?

--

And then on to this weekend: Faaaaaarrrrk Me, we seem to have picked the coldest November on record to do a weekend in the unit! 4 pairs of socks, two pairs of trousers, 5 jumpers, 2x undercrackers, bobble hat etc!

Meanwhile MM5 who is an absolute leg-end as ever made the whole weekend without complaint. He's like the Fonzie of Ford fixers.

DSCF6471.jpg

So cold, no running water, till we hair dryered it!

DSCF6475.jpg

go faster brush

DSCF6476.jpg

Attacking the laters, very fiddly!

DSCF6477.jpg

Coming together

DSCF6481.jpg

No more faffing! we cut the rubbers off the screens, end to that saga, just need parchute rope and new ones!

I'm like the stripped look, very clean lines on these like this 8-) note how high it is too!

DSCF6483.jpg

Story so far on 'my side' needs a good engine bay clean up, the workload of this project is spreading!

DSCF6486.jpg

MM5 forgot last nights Coffee, so enjoyed a Coffee Ice pop today! :o

DSCF6489.jpg

And an almost complete section. Hurrah, nice one dude. 8-)

Onwards n upwards, just bring back the sun!

Big thanks to MM5, Great attitude and good talent, can't wait to see yer own projects mate. 8)

Thanks for posting the pictures up Sénor :)

All is needed on that side now is Seam sealer and tonnes of anti-grot paint

Then hopefully a wing should just bolt straight up.

Then sort the window surround on that edge and move onto the other side.

Progress seems to be at a steady pace (which i like) .... so all is good :D

Thanks for the Cups of Coffee and never ending pit(s) of food

Can't wait till next time :lol: