Shite Customs.

brammy777

Okay, so I think make it pretty clear that I do like Custom cars, mainly stuff from the 70s/80s era Street Machine, as its just so OTT, but at the same time appears to be well done. Its 12:50am right now, so you will have to make do with this pair of scans I did a while back, but I have plenty more coming. Of particular interest is the readers ride section, which is always interesting/hilarious/shocking. Ill never forget the letter some chap wrote to SM regarding his 'IMSA Inspired' Capri, which they replied to in a lovely blunt manner. The picture is tiny sadly.

Anyway here we go:

4353833487_99e8cefa5c_z.jpg

1965 THAMES SIX WHEELER 1.7-Street Machine February 1982 by bramm77, on Flickr

Six wheels was pretty hot back then, I suppose its much easier to convert commercials to six wheels? Anyway, it lasted barely a few months after this was published.

4353835683_0c4fc30b1d_z.jpg

1968 VAUXHALL VIVA HB 4.7-Street Machine April 1982 by bramm77, on Flickr

Its not that bad really, but the classic coke lines have been lost under that wide arch action. If you did this today BP would probably want to sue you for stealing their colours. Again, it didnt last the reminder of the decade.

Oh yeh, feel free to add to this, I know alot of you scan magazines!

Guest EccentricRichard
Vauxhall Viva HC. At some point...

Hmm. Can't say I'm overly bothered - the HC looks nice from the side, but it's pretty ugly both ends, and from what my dad says (his uncle had one once, I think), it was a dreadful-handling, dreadfully-built POS...

Guest EccentricRichard
There was nothing wrong with the HC Viva's handling, not by 1970s small family car standards.

OK, fair enough... for years my dad was a Ford man (two Cortinas and a Capri), so he might well have been biased =)

There was nothing wrong with the HC Viva's handling, not by 1970s small family car standards.

OK, fair enough... for years my dad was a Ford man (two Cortinas and a Capri), so he might well have been biased =)

No, that's not bias - it's the brakes pulling to one side!!! I learnt to pass my test, sorry, drive, in a Cortina!

• 9 months later...

Good bump chaps, I shall scan in some more stuff either today or tomorrow! I have a healthy amount of Street Machine magazines to choose from.

That MM Van was at Wheels Day as well, but there was about a million people crowded around it, making a photo impossible. Neat use of Allegro indicators.

This turned up at Newark Kit Car Show last month, still owned by the guy who built it in '82 and still sporting the V4 Corsair engine and running gear fitted back then, his brother built another one at the same time, his was yellow and I remember it being at Donny Custom Show many times, sadly that one is still laid up awaiting much needed TLC, the blue one having been unearthed and rebuilt in time for the Mini's 50th birthday celebrations.

rwdmini.jpg