Shite F1 cars

michael t

The Rebaque HR100 looks identical to the 79, probably because it largely was due to him racing one beforehand... he always seemed to the successful Lotus cars the year after they did well, thus he was fielding a car that was now out of date.

A chap I know bought 1x Pacific and 1x Simtek after they quit F1. £19,500 each, w/engines and spares. Bugger is being dead cagey even yet about what he's doing with them (giving the Simtek to me, hopefully! (In my dreams))

The Rebaque HR100 looks identical to the 79, probably because it largely was due to him racing one beforehand... he always seemed to the successful Lotus cars the year after they did well, thus he was fielding a car that was now out of date.

As was Lotus by the 1979 season! It has been mooted that the Lotus 79 is actually one of the worst ground-effect cars ever, because it was rendered obsolete by the copies that every other team made of it. Their versions went faster!

How about these?

The early (flying saucer front winged) March 721. It nearly killed Niki Lauda's career before it got started:

gpx1959.jpg

Honda's 'earth' liveried efforts:

hondaf1.jpg

hondara108.jpg

Chris Amon's eponymous effort:

1974-Amon-F1.jpg

The Bugatti 'tank' (not technically F1, as it hails from 1923, but a Grand Prix car nonetheless):

505_Bugatti_1923_type_32_tank.jpg

The Eifelland Type 21 (Eifelland being a caravan company?!?):

Eifelland_display_image.jpg?

And finally, the Ligier 'flying teapot' of 1976:

76bra26v%20Laffite%20Ligier%20JS5.jpg1..jpg

How about these?

The early (flying saucer front winged) March 721. It nearly killed Niki Lauda's career before it got started:

gpx1959.jpg

That's the 711, Ronnie Peterson came second in the 1971 championship with that. The 721X was indead a dog, however:

1810-1.jpg

Honda's 'earth' liveried efforts:

hondaf1.jpg

hondara108.jpg

No argument with these!

Chris Amon's eponymous effort:

1974-Amon-F1.jpg

Things never did seem to go right for him, did they?

The Bugatti 'tank' (not technically F1, as it hails from 1923, but a Grand Prix car nonetheless):

505_Bugatti_1923_type_32_tank.jpg

What an odd beast!

The Eifelland Type 21 (Eifelland being a caravan company?!?):

Eifelland_display_image.jpg?

I'd forgotten that one!

And finally, the Ligier 'flying teapot' of 1976:

76bra26v%20Laffite%20Ligier%20JS5.jpg1..jpg

Three podiums and a pole warrant instant disqualification from being shite!

There has actually been more than one 6 wheeled F1 car, but the others had different wheel set ups from the well known P36.

Behold:

1977carlosreutemannferrlz0.jpg

This was the only one to feature dual rear wheels, never raced. Width would have possibly been an issue.

8800525.c1116ec0.jpg

The FW08B also didnt race. The rear suspension setup looks pretty complex.

1979roylane2cx5.jpg

The March 2-4-0 was again, never raced, but did okay in hill climbs apparently?

Er yeah, You can start watching it again now :)

I wasn't a great fan of the ITV coverage - James Allen and Louise Goodman got on my nerves, and breaks during races weren't the best...

Back to the F1 shite. I think the ultimate shite F1 car is the Yellow Teapot:

_45517672_renault77_416.jpg

A laughing stock at first, but once Renault got it right, the other teams weren't laughing any more.

My favourite F1 cars of all time are:

Exhaust_Moulding_Brabham_BT49_on_car.jpg

C138_Saudia_Leyland_Williams_RHS.jpg

As modelled by Scalextric. I have the Brabham (sans rear wing), but never got the Williams. The early 80s is my favourite era of F1.

Mark.

The early 80s is my favourite era of F1.

Now that you mention it it's mine also. That's probably got something to do with me becoming interested in it at that time, but also because it was such a natural transition period between n/a and turbo, and then the sudden regulation change that stipulated no skirts and flat bottoms.

I've been watching F1 for as long as I can remember. Back in the days of Senna at Lotus, Prost, Piquet, Mansell, Rene Arnoux.

My earliest F1 memory for certain is watching Mansell's tyre blow out at the 1986 Australian Grand Prix, denying him the title - although I would have watched the whole season. In 1985 I definitely remember Senna and De Angelis at Lotus, Berger and Boutsen at Arrows, and Alboreto at Ferrari.. but before that it's sketchy.

This book has been on my Amazon wishlist for some time because, although I can't remember back that far, and apart from what happened to Villeneuve and Paletti, 1982 is one of my favourite F1 years:

51tSUex%2BCDL._SS500_.jpg

I used to have great fun racing in Geoff Crammond's GP2 using a 1982 carset, and Ubisoft F1 simulator with a 1987 or 88 carset.

Mark.

I love 70s and 80s F1, there's just so much variety in the designs. I reckon I could identify a vast majority of the cars if they were lined uo in front of me all painted white with no markings.

Back to Spirit for a moment, didn't they do rather better than they ought until Honda pulled the plug to concentrate on Williams?

Here's a good contender for shite F1 - the Toleman TG181:

Perhaps the most radical ground effect car, sadly never raced, because the other teams went beserk when it was revealed. It had a dual chassis system and was basically a massive ground effect wing. Who knows how well it could have done? Probably wouldnt have, but Chapman was never to be underestimated.

115540d1238085831-my-fantastic-visit-hethel-lotus-factory-tour-team-lotus-3352107826_e113bb28e5.jpg

Let us not forget, as if we ever could, the Shannon, whose record speaks for itself:

http://www.allf1.info/teams/shannon.php

On a sadder note, it was piloted on its one public appearance by Trevor Taylor, former Lotus team-mate of Jim Clark, who died last week at the same age and of the same cause as Roy Axe. RIP Trevor.

Guest EccentricRichard
For me, F1 and indeed any other motorsport, has fallen-off steeply since the great Murray retired. Why isn't he Sir Murray????? No other commentator in any field is as knowledgable or entertaining.

Opinions may vary...

I know MW was knowledgable and entertaining, but I find his West Midlands whine intensely annoying. Brundle & Legard FTW!

Now there's a thing, the recent Japanese Grand Prix had a problem with its commentry feed for a couple of minutes, which left us with the sounds of the cars for a minute or so - it was fantastic to listen to them! No more of Legard saying "listen to the distinctive sound of the McLarens as on the overrun as they blow the exhaust through the diffuser" - sorry dickhead, we can't hear the engines because YOU keep rabbiting on! Then the beeb stuck the Radio 5 commentry over the pictures, it was better than the TV commentry.

Guest EccentricRichard
Now there's a thing, the recent Japanese Grand Prix had a problem with its commentry feed for a couple of minutes, which left us with the sounds of the cars for a minute or so - it was fantastic to listen to them! No more of Legard saying "listen to the distinctive sound of the McLarens as on the overrun as they blow the exhaust through the diffuser" - sorry dickhead, we can't hear the engines because YOU keep rabbiting on! Then the beeb stuck the Radio 5 commentry over the pictures, it was better than the TV commentry.

I was only able to catch it on the iPlayer on Sunday night, so I didn't get the problem. I don't understand your complaint about Legard - I'm able to hear the cars and what he's saying perfectly well.

If it wasn't for Brundle I would be listening to the five live comms.....Legard is hopeless.

Endless drivel like 'pushing on' 'up the hill' 'round the corner' 'not good enough' etc etc....repeat to fade..

Again, don't understand. "Up the hill" and "round the corner" are pretty innocuous. "Not good enough" during an attempted overtake, or in qualifying... fine! Don't have a problem.

Guest EccentricRichard
Granted, he is better than James Allen.

Thats not too hard though is it?

I don't mind Legard tbh. Brundle is superb though.

Hear, hear. The Beeb's policy is that they need a journo/broadcaster and an ex-F1 pundit - why don't they just have Brundle as the broadcaster (after all, he has won broadcasting awards, as well as his racing career), perhaps put DC with him, save costs. Oh, and why does 5 live have to have separate commentary? Why not just use the same comms on 5L and TV? I'm sure they could slim the F1 team down a lot...

Hear, hear. The Beeb's policy is that they need a journo/broadcaster and an ex-F1 pundit - why don't they just have Brundle as the broadcaster (after all, he has won broadcasting awards, as well as his racing career), perhaps put DC with him, save costs. Oh, and why does 5 live have to have separate commentary? Why not just use the same comms on 5L and TV? I'm sure they could slim the F1 team down a lot...

Brundle is briliant, and has some classic moments, such as in Italy when he saw Briatori and muttered "who let him on here" (rightly bloody so Briatori is a disgrace) but I think one of the key things about Brundle is his forcefulness on the grid, pushing in past other reporters to get the viewer interviews from anyone on the grid. Although Ive only been watching F1 since 2007, Id say it is as good as it has ever been, but I would as it is "My" F1 period.

I bet the BBC will slim down the F1 team especially since they have to cart these people across the entire world, Legard is the obvious choice to bin, Davidson could be another one but its not as if Coulthard and Co will be lining up to do the practice and quali slots. Jordan/Coulthard/Brundle are so useful because they can give real incites into F1 teams (I left out Davidson since... super aguri weren't really an F1 team, they made 4 wheeled jokes :oops: ).

m0rris

Legard was very good on 5live when you depend on his describing everything to know whats going on, not sure his talents transfer to tv too well though.

If you log onto the official F1 site during the race you can get the same timing screens that the commentators use and you can tell who is in the pits 30 seconds before the commentators notice :)

Guest EccentricRichard

Brundle is briliant, and has some classic moments, such as in Italy when he saw Briatori and muttered "who let him on here" (rightly bloody so Briatori is a disgrace) but I think one of the key things about Brundle is his forcefulness on the grid, pushing in past other reporters to get the viewer interviews from anyone on the grid. Although Ive only been watching F1 since 2007, Id say it is as good as it has ever been, but I would as it is "My" F1 period.

I bet the BBC will slim down the F1 team especially since they have to cart these people across the entire world, Legard is the obvious choice to bin, Davidson could be another one but its not as if Coulthard and Co will be lining up to do the practice and quali slots. Jordan/Coulthard/Brundle are so useful because they can give real incites into F1 teams (I left out Davidson since... super aguri weren't really an F1 team, they made 4 wheeled jokes :oops: ).

m0rris

Super Aguri did score points, and Davidson has done well in sports car racing too, I really like him and Friday evenings catching FP1 and FP2 on t'iPlayer wouldn't be the same without him. Not so sure Ted Kravitz, Lee McKenzie, Louise whatserface or David Croft would be so missed. Coulthard & co already DO do quali. P. S. it's "insights", not "incites" - incites is the present tense of the verb "to incite" (as in "to incite religious hatred"). Sorry about that, I'm just the most dreadful pedant =)

Guest EccentricRichard
Do the 5Live commentators fly out to the races? I'd assumed it could all be done from here, sat in front of a couple of screens?

So you might think, but no. They have a couple of people in the pit lane, and, quite often, they've got Chandhok in the commentary box, but he's also seen in the Hispania pit garage the same day... and sometimes the guys in the box spot an incident before the cameras do!