20:20(ad) vision. What will you be driving?

warren t claim

In 2010 I still had a BX and still thought I'd always run hydraulic Citroëns - shame they stopped making them!

I seriously considered a C5 last time I bought a car but they're just a bit too big, the ones I found for sale were overpriced, and the reputation for reliability is... Scary.

I certainly wouldn't have believed I'd be in a Mercedes.

On 9/27/2010 at 7:47 PM, chaseracer said:

I hope I'll be able to hang on to the Blingo, as it is a top motor; it will only be 17 years old with 190000 miles up, so just nicely run in. And the way things are going, the Dyane will be celebrating both its 38th birthday and its 30th year with me, most likely still in bits in the garage... :roll:

Looking good so far!

?

On 9/28/2010 at 12:48 AM, barrett said:

In 2020 I'll be 34 so still young enough to impress the ladies, and there is a very real possibility that I would've passed my test by then. Wouldn't bet on it though.

@barrett doesn't post on here much any more, but it's amazing to think that he's gone from not actually being able to drive to having one of the most impressive fleets of obscure old jalopies out of all of us!

Me? The environmentalists won. I was dailying a hotrod with a flathead back in 2010 and I've now got a hybrid - I'll still have that in 2020.

On 10/3/2017 at 9:09 PM, Lord Sterling said:

Wow, I'll be a couple of years away from touching 40. I guess I'll be driving/at leat buying an E61 BMW 540 Estate with fucked air suspension. I'll still have rotting Sterlings sitting somewhere and apparently a K11 Micra aswell.

Ha ha.

Not far off, it was only 2 years ago. I've got a fucked E46 BMW 316i and a Vectra estate so that at least covers the BMW and estate side of things. I've also still got my Sterlings and they are indeed rotting away. I've also got a K11 Micra in my possession.

Seems I can (almost) foresee my future.

In 2010 my work car was an e39 BMW 525d SE, Mrs N's daily was a Jag S-Type 3.0 manual and I had a 300Tdi for OLLI wankering.

In 2020 my work car will be a Merc e220d SE Mrs N's daily will be a Merc ML and she has a CLK cabriolet for summer.

In 2021 I intend the fleet to be Merc e220d SE , Nissan Leaf, Merc SL or something else V8 and floppy topped- permission has been given.

On 9/28/2010 at 1:41 AM, catsinthewelder said:

I'll be 39 and if current trends continue the car will be about the same if not older, I passed my test 5 years ago and the first car that I did any proper mileage in was a 5 year old Y plate Megane, this has crept to a J plate BX via a slightly older car each time I change.

A 240z would be nice, but it will probably just be my VW type 2 leaking oil in the general vicinity.

If I stick with 20 year old cars maybe another Megane but this time a 2.0 Sport. I like the C4 as moderns, go so that's another possibility but with 3 teenage kids to fit in the back by then I might have to blow the finances on a C6 :D

Strangely enough I didn't predict MK2 diesel Focus, Safrane, 405, Dacia 1310, Rover 220 and Disco ?

In 2010 I bought my first car. A 1997 Peugeot 306 XLdt with 156k on the clocks, in white. I kept that for 3 and a half years and got it to 179k before it grenaded.

I now have another white 90s piece of chod that's older but has 34k less miles, and I bought it over 3 years ago (although only got my name on the v5 earlier this year).

I seem to have form.

Well I still have the Mazanussi estate that I bought in 2010 and from the miserable part-ex offers I have had for it recently it is likely to still be on the books in three month's time. No Caterham has been bought, but I have recently been looking at a couple CLKs, both of which had doubtful MOT histories, so some modern shite  is more likely  be on the horizon. 

Of course on the other hand I may well be copy and pasting this very post in 2029 ;)

Also disappointed I missed this thread back in the day.  I still have 3 cars I owned back then - 164, Renault 6 and Innocenti. 

Not sure I would have predicted a diesel automatic Rover 75 wagon as my main car, but I wouldn't have been upset with my future self if I'd known 10 years ago that I'd be driving such a giffermobile.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, jonny69 said:

@barrett doesn't post on here much any more, but it's amazing to think that he's gone from not actually being able to drive to having one of the most impressive fleets of obscure old jalopies out of all of us!

Me? The environmentalists won. I was dailying a hotrod with a flathead back in 2010 and I've now got a hybrid - I'll still have that in 2020.

Indeed, I am pretty great. Funnily enough I'm also flat broke and constantly stressed about making old cars work. Why didn't anyone tell me?

Going further back to 2000 I had a 1962 Mini Super Deluxe as my only car.

Since then 15 cars, none of which are particularly noteworthy have come and gone and the current fleet consists of three.

When I put it like that it seems like I've wasted a lot of money on boring cars that could have been put to better use on fewer  more interesting cars.

My goal for 2030 is to be back in a classic Mini, either that or be at the point where the Bini is a highly valuable classic...

On 9/27/2010 at 8:42 PM, michael t said:

a pedal bike cos enviro-MENTALISTS will shoot anyone who even looks at a car

Goodness me my grammar and punctuation was terrible (I was 15 mind...)

Since this obnoxious statement was posted I've "grown up". Passed my test in 2015 and smoked around in a 2002 Mk4/5 Fiesta which I didn't consider shite at the time but now realise it was.

I've had 2 non-shite motors since sadly - '08 and (currently) a '15 plate Polo.

I still do not own a bicycle

My 2020 prediction is going to go 1 of 2 ways. 

Either:

1) I finally find a decent example of the practical modern daily I need, for a good price and isn't 350 miles from here. 

Or... 

2) I end up keeping the worlds most boring car forever more and lose my head entirely therefore buying a second car, either something old, really old, or a bit less old. 

And here's a note for myself in 10 years time:

?

I had just turned 11 a few weeks prior when this thread was posted in 2010!

but funnily enough in a roundabout way, I am driving what I wanted to drive in the future back then!

in that while the Invacar obsession only kicked itself into overdrive over the past year or so, those who will recall back to the start of my thread, will recall that it all started when I saw a Model 70 back in 2003

and I always wanted a 3 wheeler because of that Model 70, (that for the longest of time I thought was a reliant of some kind!)

and well fast forward 10, well almost 17 years if we count from 2003, I finally have one!

although what I really wanted in 2010/hoped to have by 2020, back then was (and still do want!) a Routemaster bus :) (but somehow I dont see myself getting one by 2020!)

In 2010 I was driving a mk3 Astra, which I wrote off and replaced with  a Volvo S40.  I decided to buy a Honda accord and truly believed I'd own it until 2020. But no. 

Omega may or may not survive until then 

Just went past 222333 miles last week. 

Unless I win a red alpha remainio 

As for me, I've still got the Metro (only 6,000 miles done in 10 years) and other cars were a Rover 114, Montego GSi, and a Volvo 360 I think.

I'm quite pleased that my future self still has the Metro and other old crap.  My fondness for 80s/90s Vauxhalls didn't really exist back in 2010, so you could say age has impaired my judgement...

• 4 weeks later...