Spotter's Log: Harpenden Classics On The Common

Electric Leyland

Epic spots sir. I am being roused into heading out on the treader on a nice day and getting some good spots in. Was getting disheartened like a lot of people by lack of interest in them but waaahaay they are seem to be coming back into fashion again for the summer of 2012, a bit like safari suits, mullets and gonorrhea.

Where is this?

IMG_3703.jpg

Judging my the amount of dickheads it looks like east London?

GR8 UPD8 M8!

Funny how 'we' bought loads of cars in the 60/70/80s and let them rot away, now 'we' import loads of the same classic cars from sunnier countries and... let them rot in exchange for tax exemption. Silly.

This isn't an import though:

6930239478_3d944c11ed_b.jpg

Someone else's spot, late december 2011. Looking even shittier than in your spot.

• 3 months later...

Highlights of yesterday’s Classics On The Common in Harpenden.

First, the star of the show. The guy pulled it out of a barn last week and drove it to the show. HERO.

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6396.jpg

IMG_6382.jpg

IMG_6389.jpg

IMG_6388.jpg

IMG_6390.jpg

IMG_6393.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6397.jpg

I invited him onto here but sadly he doesn’t do the internet.

More spots to follow…..

A 1-off factory prototype according to the owner who also owns a concours standard one. This has the smaller 2.0L fitted but not much performance difference between the two apparently. I love these because they are the most unpopular of all Ferraris. I think they’re gorgeous looking myself.

IMG_6425.jpg

IMG_6419.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

And another highlight of the show. Great to chat to Boobydoo and admire his Chrysler 2 litre!

IMG_6409.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6406.jpg

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6578.jpg

IMG_6585.jpg

IMG_6590.jpg

That's all folks.

Highlights of yesterday’s Classics On The Common in Harpenden.

First, the star of the show. The guy pulled it out of a barn last week and drove it to the show. HERO.

IMG_6386.jpg

I invited him onto here but sadly he doesn’t do the internet.

More spots to follow…..

Snipped ^

All of that is fucking awesume. Brilliant.

a bloke came up to the owner saying his dad/brother used to work for Walker Bodys of Watord

Are you sure it was not Norfolk or Hull rather than Watford???

GR9 collection of photos by the way. I would have the Saab Sonnet as its just so horrifically 70's it gives me the horn. If I win the lottery this weekend I am getting a Bricklin SV-1 imported.

Really, really, really annoyed I couldn't make it to this. The SKUDBUS is one of the best vehicles I've ever seen, I'm surprised it's not owned by Bickle (especially with those wheels).

Next time you see a Bond, can you steal the steering wheel for me please? ta

Mega!, As i said on Dan's thread I wish I'd made the effort and gone to this, especially as i had the day off, Too many awesome cars to comment on but that Bedford HA gets a big thumbs up, he didn't drive it there on those trade plates did he?! :shock:

Looks like a good day. My 1st thought on seeing that HA was, "It can't possibly have an MoT, how the hell did he drive it to a show?" Lots of other good stuff - I do like the split screen Bedford van, but for me the highlight is that Sumbeam Rapier. My folks had an Alpine when I was a kid, and I've always wanted a Rapier - lovely looking cars, and that one actually has my initials (D.J.H.) on the number plate!!!! :shock:

Re- Walker Brothers, no idea 'fraid, it just mentioned the location on the sign in the window.

One of my first questions was "so you drove here, how can this have an MOT?" He just calmly answered "it doesn't". Brave.

I thought Allegro when I spotted the Imperial square steering wheel too!

The HA pick up was next door but one to the red Ferrai which I presume is some sort of 250 but can anyone advise what?

This one:

IMG_6379.jpg

One of my first questions was "so you drove here, how can this have an MOT?" He just calmly answered "it doesn't". Brave.

Booked it in for one?

Drove on trade plates?

Pre-1960 (doesn't require an MOT). ;)