Spotter's Log: Harpenden Classics On The Common

Electric Leyland

That'll be an Australian Chrysler Valiant, loosely based on the US parent's late-60s version.

This thing...

2011June26th067.jpg

might be familiar because van versions of this (Ford Econoline) and the Dodge A-100 were often used when the supervillain of the week needed a plain van.

Oh, and did I mention? Top spotting! :D

2011August20thOzpt2051.jpg

Didn't Billy Corkhill in Brookside have one like this? ISTR him driving it across several of the lawns once...

And my personal FTW so far, this!!!!!!!!! ………………

2011August20thOzpt2031.jpg

Calendar shot, right there. It's a whole Autoshite street! :D

An excellent update as expected. Impossible to pick a favourite out of that lot but naturally everything with a Datsun badge is getting me a little hot under the collar.

Volvo 1800 DHC is a homebrew, Harold Radford converted ONE in period, but that ain't it, and US dealer 'Volvoville' converted a handful but they are all LHD so it ain't one of those either. Looks like a pretty neat job though.

Top spots - quality and quantity! The shot of the Valiant against the sunset's nice.

Looking at a few of the Oz pics, the cars have what we'd call private plates (e.g the 'BNK JOB' Camaro, the 356 and the E-Type). Anyone know how that system works over there? It seems at face value, to be more like the US system.

Well this thread did the opposite to help out with my insomnia tonight, I'm now far too excited about old cars to want to go to sleep and it's all your fault. I think you win, that is if there's some sort of Spotted Thread game, because the quality, quantity and diversity of the spots in this thread is phenominal, probably helped by you travelling to some pretty disparate places. Absolutely cracking work, and a worthy number of browsing hours to be had just now and in the future.

Great stuff EL. No way of picking a favourite, but obviously particularly pleasing to see the OJC content. Some of the ones photographed, like the 200B, are Australian-built.

Interesting comment about the value of cars there, which must be a considerable factor in people keeping perfectly useable older stuff running. Good on them!

Thanks so far to everyone enjoying the show. I'm less than half way through the update, am out tonight so the rest will come in the next day or two.

One huge set of pics is from that gigantic classic lorry scrapyard in Hertfordshire between Hitchin and Welwyn. Got into a lot of trouble for this but well worth it, you'll see from the results. Has there been much on here about this since I first mentioned it a long time ago? it's one of the most amazing time warp places I've ever been to and it's incredible such a place still exists.

Ace spots! V-reg Carlton for me I think.

^ Lorry scrapyard, I guess you would be talking about Rush Green Motors? I went there some years ago with a small group mainly to scavenge Ergomatic cab parts, it's an epic place but I only got a very small handful of photos. Apparently the surface was laid using a job lot of surplus materials from the M1 construction, and some of the stock in there will be vehicles that came off the road around that time!

Yes that's the place, Rush Green Motors. I wonder how they get around green regulations? Well long may they reign anyway, epic yard. I'll come on to those photos later, but here's more of the update.

From the second Amsterdam trip of last summer, this bunch……

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

IMG_3563.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

And only a flipping LIGIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_3572.jpg