Hideous!

pogweasel

Posted Image

These have always struck me as stunningly bland. Looks like it was designed using a set square during someone's lunch break

I take your point about the styling on this one - looks like someone from Volvo's design department of the time nipped over to Brum to do a 'foreigner' and earn themselves a crafty few quid.

That's as cold as ice these days. But I suppose the driver must be willing to sacrifice. A few things like street cred and build quality.

I wonder if the buyers of new ones expected sagging sills, waiting for a curl.

In terms of ugly cars; new Seats are hideous! Both inside and out.

That's as cold as ice these days. But I suppose the driver must be willing to sacrifice. A few things like street cred and build quality.

I wonder if the buyers of new ones expected sagging sills, waiting for a curl.

In terms of ugly cars; new Seats are hideous! Both inside and out.

I'm actually wanting to buy that very car (if it hasn't gone). They're ultra reliable and very comfy inside. Ace for an A-to-B car, but probably not what you want if you want a car to turn heads.

Posted Image

What is most depressing is that you know they'll sell thousands

Who's going to do an owner profile of this pretentious shitheap?

When it came out 9 years ago, the first BMW Mini was quite a nifty thing. It was still quite small and pert. But now even the regular Mini has been puffed out in all directions and it looks crap.

Guest Leonard Hatred

I thought the BINI Mk2 looked like a bloated Chinese impostor when it was launched, but that's being a bit too gracious to it.

I bet that thing is bigger than a Maxi. Actually, they could call it a Maxi, but I guess it wouldn't sell as well than if it had Mini written on it.

Part of the marketing campaign is to get Prodrive to campaign it in the World Rally Championship.

Although they might end up making it fast, they'll never end up making it beautiful.

Posted Image

Team Blitz, the MINI had an awful lot to do with BMW, seeing as how they owned Rover Group between 1994 and 2000. MINI was the only part of the company (along with rights to a few historic names) that they wanted to keep - the rest was given away (well virtually, in the case of MG Rover), or sold off to others (Ford bought Land Rover). BMW kept MINI because they knew it contained a good, saleable product.

Yes, it had a 'Mopar' engine. This was always the plan from the start, to reduce development costs and spread risk. BMW didn't just buy the thing in from Chrysler.

When BMW bought Rover in '94, the MINI was far from finished. So they did not buy a fully designed model then.

This was a concept for the replacement Mini developed by Rover Group:

Posted Image

So work must have progressed a lot (or a completely new design drawn up) to get it looking like the BMW MINI that we ended up with.

Team Blitz, the MINI had an awful lot to do with BMW, seeing as how they owned Rover Group between 1994 and 2000. MINI was the only part of the company (along with rights to a few historic names) that they wanted to keep - the rest was given away (well virtually, in the case of MG Rover), or sold off to others (Ford bought Land Rover). BMW kept MINI because they knew it contained a good, saleable product.

Yes, it had a 'Mopar' engine. This was always the plan from the start, to reduce development costs and spread risk. BMW didn't just buy the thing in from Chrysler.

When BMW bought Rover in '94, the MINI was far from finished. So they did not buy a fully designed model then.

Posted Image

So work must have progressed a lot (or a completely new design drawn up) to get it looking like the BMW MINI that we ended up with.

Yep, the MINI was a BMW effort. Designs started around 1996 and prototypes were running around Oxfordshire in 1999 with undisguised cars openly being driven in 2000.

The best was the original pre-bloated Cooper S with the supercharger. It came very close to the spirit of the original as well as cars like the Clio Robbie Williams.

The Clubfoot is dreadful but the Cuntryman takes the biscuit. Utter wank.

More sports car fugliness. The boss-eyed Morgan Aero 8:

Posted Image

More 4x4xfugliness. The Hyundai iX35:

Posted Image

The press photos of this are usually of the back, which isn't too bad (well, for a 4x4 at least):

Posted Image

And finally, returning to the world of sports cars, the TVR tuscan:

Posted Image

How TVR managed to produce this, using the beautiful Griffith as a starting point, I'll never know.

There is almost no daylight between what you've said and what I said, FA. .

Except for me pointing out that it was developed when BMW owned Rover (and showing an earlier Rover design for the car, which proved their proposal was a different shape entirely), and you saying that the MINI had almost nothing to do with BMW.

So no daylight there then. :?

More sports car fugliness. The boss-eyed Morgan Aero 8:

Posted Image

I love these things, I would have one in a heartbeat

Also I normally love Falcons, but this one was a horror

Posted Image

Then there is:

Posted Image

Supposed to be great to drive and I'd love a small rwd car but I couldn't live with anything this ugly. Looks like it was in a crash that bent the chassis rails

Posted Image

It's not the first time they've done it though

These have always offended me for somehow being bland and ugly

Posted Image

The bugeye Corolla isn't bland, it looks absolutely crackers. They facelifted it into something more humdrum on account of it being a bit too mad.

I liked them, but obviously in the sea of new cars they do look slightly less unusual then they used to. Subaru liked the design so much they took quite a bit of it into the new Impreza model back then. The Estate models look so weirdly proportioned its fantastic.

Posted Image

The lower example looks like a cross between a Ford KA and the Toyota Aygo/107/C1...

Guest Leonard Hatred

I liked them, but obviously in the sea of new cars they do look slightly less unusual then they used to. Subaru liked the design so much they took quite a bit of it into the new Impreza model back then.

They started redesigning it not long after it was launched.

Subaru seem to be a bit clueless as far as car design goes, alternately producing good-looking and hideous cars.

Posted Image

The old Legacy, a very handsome and well-proportioned car

Posted Image

The new one is a very bland large 'sedan' with some ugly proportions and detailing which will no doubt sell well in the US and China.

I liked them, but obviously in the sea of new cars they do look slightly less unusual then they used to. Subaru liked the design so much they took quite a bit of it into the new Impreza model back then.

They started redesigning it not long after it was launched.

Subaru seem to be a bit clueless as far as car design goes, alternately producing good-looking and hideous cars.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-con ... per_02.jpg

The old Legacy, a very handsome and well-proportioned car

http://spbcar.ru/news/en/i/2009-04-09/0 ... yc_opt.jpg

The new one is a very bland large 'sedan' with some ugly proportions and detailing which will no doubt sell well in the US and China.

Apparantly the new one is slower and manages poorer MPG. Talk about a step backward.