Hideous!

pogweasel

That Mazda actually does look rather happy, in a sort of spackarsed puppy way. As opposed to the Peugeot 308, which just looks like it was drawn by a spackarsed puppy.

Had a 1.6HDi 90 powered 308SW as a courtesy car earlier in the year after a fence landed on my Focus. I can honestly say it was total gashgunge.

Come on boys! Weve reduced it from £12495 to £12489!! Save £6!!!!!!!!

Now thats a bargain!!! :D

http://www.allapprovedcars.com/Used-Jee ... tails.aspx

And I was wondering where the last £6 I needed was going to come from. Kids! You shall have dinner tomorrow! And a lovely car! All in one day!

I don't think the Jeep's all that bad. Dysfunctional, yes; but while there's one Ssangyong Rodent left in the world, the Jeep's safe. And someone local to me still runs a Rodent, which has signally failed to 'grow on me' in all the time they've had it.

It still looks like a reject from Transformers.

What is it with all the Baleine whale/ smiley face styling? I did read a while ago that designers wanted to get away from aggressive 'faces' for their tin boxes; but it's getting out of hand. It occurs to me that there's more and more separate plastic items bolted on there. Creating turnover for the parts departments, when it gets stacked into the back of a bus, any? Cynical, me? Never...

What is the name of that horrible van with the bulbous convex front windscreen? I can't google for a pic of it because I can't remember its name! It looks like it has a distended forehead. Know the one I mean?

The Fiat Multipla?

Like this?

Posted Image

I don't have a problem with the Multipla because it's unapologetically hideous. The really early ones in the UK had a window sticker proclaiming 'wait till you see the front'.

It was quite amusing really when you'd speak to people and they'd go 'well we just want a nice MPV for the kids where they can stretch out', you'd suggest a Multipla and their faces would contort. They'd end up buying a dull as fuck Scenic or Zafira 'because I'm not having something that looks so ugly', even though the Multipla was way better inside.

I mean, you're buying an MPV ferchrissakes, looks and dynamism are way down your list of priorities. If the car's good at what it does (save for exploding fuel pumps) what does it matter if you're in the market for a family car?

The Multipla is guaranteed futureshite, and you have to applaud Fiat for actually trying to flog something that looks like that... I mean.. FIAT?!? They have a hard enough time shifting thier unreliable-but-bland crudboxes as it is (pre-new 500), why would they risk selling something that looks like a child's drawing of a frog?

Still, they're the only car I can think of that spawned a dedicated owners club before they even stopped making them... Have they even stopped making them? It's had a couple of facelifts since then, I wouldn't be surprised if they were still ebing sold.... never see any though, natch.

Multipla is still going, but not for much longer - it's due to be phased out by the end of the year.

Confession time - I love 'em. Criminally underrated machine - and the truth is, there's actually a reason it looks the way it does, and it has to do with proportions. If you get past your initial reaction and really study the design, you notice it's actually quite tall, with a mahoosive amount of glass distorting the proportions, such that if it had a 'normal' design, it would still look, er, curious. Back when the Multipla was launched, Fiat was on a design roll, and was obviously brave enough to take a chance on what was then still a niche market sector. There is a logic to it - scoop up those punters who actually like it (I do, for one), and want to stand out from the Scenic/Zafira herd.

The most remarkable thing is, they actually drive amazingly well too - not just well for an MPV, but well full stop. Nice chassis balance, very stable because of the super-wide track and wheel at each corner, good steering and an entirely decent ride. They actually drive much better than most of Fiat's conventional hatchback output at the time...

• 2 weeks later...

As I've mentioned previously, Ssangyong are the current leaders of the fugliness league, but I think they may have a serious competitor in Daihatsu. Although Daihatsu generally produce innofensively styled vehicles, they can produce a gopping horror if necessary, namely:

Posted Image

The previous generation Sirion

Posted Image

The YRV

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Terios - a narrow off-roader (both versions sold in the UK shown)

Posted Image

The Move

Posted Image

and Grand Move

Posted Image

Posted Image

And their crowning glory, the Materia

I've always thought that the Multipla was a brilliant bit of packaging. 6 seats and luggage space on a Punto chassis was the work of genius. I even quite like the looks.

The Nissan Serena, on the other hand, looks like a badly styled wardrobe, and is completely crap in all respects, makes the Nissan Prairie look positively elegant.

Multipla is brill though isn't it? I know a couple of owners and they praised them as a package, kept them, still have them. So they can't be that unreliable then. Two immediate neighbour families have a Sharan and an A160 between them - and these are more regularly visited by the RAC/AA man. Multipla pre-first-facelifters get my money if we must save a few.

Have we had a Bolero yet?

Posted Image

I like the Multipla and always have, I can't see why people (outside of having Top Gear influence their car buying decisions) have that such a big deal about it.

Didn't Top Gear make this their car of the year many moons ago?

I think a Grande Multipla with 9 seats would of been a WINNAH.

To be honest I like most of these rubbish-looking cars. To be honest I don't think most of them shown in this thread look that bad, a lot of them are just "quirky" designs rather than downright ugly (the 308 isn't a quirky design).

Posted Image

The new Ford Ka is absolutely absurd, the styling all sweeps up towards the back and you're left with this clumsy back window which doesn't really line up with the rest of it. The back side windows are tiny too, bet it's awful being sat in the back of one.

Posted Image

These Toyota iQ things have a ridiculously high waistline, must be like driving around in a letterbox.

Posted Image

No matter how many people tell me how they're amazing and great and lovely, they're so bloody awful-looking - don't tell me they're not, they are. It looks like someone just chucked a load of random panels into a big car-shaped pile. If you were spending that much money you'd think you'd get something that didn't look like a right load of toss.

Still though, I defend ugly cars. They need to exist, if everything was well-executed and neatly-judged how boring would the world be?

Ka is ridiculous, so is the new Fiesta. Veyron, obviously - money doesn't buy taste. I think the QI or whatever it's called is quite nice looking, I'd seriously buy one if I didn't have a choice.

It doesn't matter what they look like on the outside, interiors of ALL cars of today are hideous.