Shitebarges of the future spotted....

Baz

Recently spotted a couple of sure-fire future shite flagships:

Yesterday, I followed an '08 plate Toyota Camry saloon along the Acle Straight....It had a square rear plate with those slightly smaller digits, and was generally weaving about, so I'm guessing that it's a U.S. model, driven by an idiot U.S. Airman or summat....Certainly a very handsome looking beast, that I've not seen before.

Also, a couple of weeks ago, in Gulidford, I saw a really quite striking, large Hyundai Saloon....Badged "Grandeur" IIRC....Is that a genuine UK car, sold by a Hyundai dealer? Again, I've never seen one before, but I'm keen to see another! 8)

Maybe I should start carrying a camera to record these moments! :?

I think I own one, my Peugeot 607.

People are already scrapping them if they develop electric faults that no one understands.

Unless you have dealer level diagnostic equipment you don't stand a chance.

The 605 is already at worthless level and the 607 will be even less desirable due to the high complexity and costs of repair.

Most of the older 607s already have a huge list of minor faults (toys that don't work) which means that if something major breaks it just isn't worth mending.

Here is mine

Posted Image

Another contender. The Vauxhall Signum.

Posted Image

Looking like a large Astra from a distance, and a, erm, slightly different shape Vectra hatch when you got close, I suspect few people ever saw the point of one of these.

It may indeed be a good car, but I bet in a few years it'll be virtually forgotten. Thus, a shitebarge of the future.

Those SEAT toledos are a fucking insult, what a total crock of shit. I love rubbish cars, but that is just too much.

The Signum on the other hand, I'm all over it, in fact i have been studying the bay with the intention of dropping £3500 on one in the not too distant future and moving myself into the 'middle class' of shite motoring.

Fiat Croma. The new one. Now seemingly withdrawn from sale in the UK.

Posted Image

None of these suggestions from me constitute actual 'spots' though. In fact I've never seen a Croma in the wild, or even in my local Fiat dealers - they probably had more sense than to order one as a demonstrator.

Apparently Michael Schumacher had a Croma as his company car (well, one of them) when he was still in Ferrari's employ. Wonder if they're GR8 4 DRFTN?

I've got the horn for a 166 3.2, but I'm gonna enjoy the Jag for a good while first and then see what happens.

I've seen one Croma in the wild, near crashed out of shock.

Signum is just a weird Vectra, so there's no appeal to me in those.

Pug 607s seem to live a weird life. Couple of years as a demonstrator for the local Pug dealership, followed by a couple of years as a cab, then into private hands and either polished to death until the owner discovers the residuals or abused and weighed in when 6 years old. I was in an '06 plate one a couple of months ago (Taxi in Gloucester) and thought it was a very strange car indeed. Loads of electric goodies, but a dashboard made from properly wonky plastics. Didn't seem to ride that well for a Pug either, although it might have had those hopeless electronic shockers on it. It was a high level one, full leather etc.

The mayoral car round my way is a 607 (the Council hasn't got a lot of cash for things like this). Its paintwork seems to be deteriorating rapidly, and is going flat on the bonnet, roof and bootlid - despite all the regular polishing it gets. I get to look at it regularly, as when it comes out of its garage it gets parked two spaces from me on the Council car park. It's on an '06 plate and looks about five years older than my '04 Mondeo. The wheels seem to be de-lacquering badly too.

All in all, not really an impressive mayoral carriage. No doubt, funds permitting, its days are numbered.

If a black 607 appears on e-Bay soon, with a blanking grommet in front of the aerial (where the crest is fixed to the roof), it'll no doubt be this example.

I've seen a few Cromas, but only in estate version.

Alfa 166s, while their age will come, the later 3.2 one like Pete-M mentioned are still quite desirable.

I've seen a few Cromas too. In fact I saw one yesterday at Sainsbury's at Colton, East Leeds. They only come in that one bodystyle.

After a year or two they were only available as a special order. You actually had to go into a dealer and actually want one in order to own it...

18 months ago, when I was going round S/H dealers with my Sister looking for a car for her, there was a 06 reg Croma on a forecourt in Rotherham. I had a look at it, it was fully loaded, 2.3 diesel I think. Anyway, all the paper work showed it specced up as a £24k car when new, it was selling for something like £6k :lol:

I've posted the pic before but here is one I saw before Xmas...

Posted Image

Also, a couple of weeks ago, in Gulidford, I saw a really quite striking, large Hyundai Saloon....Badged "Grandeur" IIRC....Is that a genuine UK car, sold by a Hyundai dealer? Again, I've never seen one before, but I'm keen to see another! 8)

Maybe I should start carrying a camera to record these moments! :?

The Hyundai Grandeur is special order only in the UK.

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/newCars/grandeur/

Saw a Fiat Croma up close the other day....A bit too close....He was towing a Vauxhall Cavalier, and waiting to enter the roundabout that I was negotiating....I dunno if he forgot that he was towing or summat, but he saw me coming, and before I could slow to allow them out, he decided that he was going anyway, and lurched away, virtually smoking his front tyres, snapping the rope, leaving the Cavalier stranded, and then stopped, right in front of me in the middle of the roundabout....Shite driving, in a shite car! :D

I'm sorry, but I absolutely LOVE that Grandeur....I think I'm even gonna order a brochure! That's gonna be one rare and desirable piece of shite in 25 years time....The Talbot Tagora of 2035! :D

One that hasn't been mentioned yet of course, is the truly magnificent Citroen C6....I'm sure in a few years time, many of us will be tempted to nearly bankrupt ourselves for one....I still stop, and stare open mouthed when one drives past....An utterly desirable car....Just like the CX. 8)

Another contender. The Vauxhall Signum.

Posted Image

Looking like a large Astra from a distance, and a, erm, slightly different shape Vectra hatch when you got close, I suspect few people ever saw the point of one of these.

It may indeed be a good car, but I bet in a few years it'll be virtually forgotten. Thus, a shitebarge of the future.

there is a Signum in Gloucester with the reg S16NUM

• 11 months later...
Fiat Croma. The new one. Now seemingly withdrawn from sale in the UK.

fiat_croma_08_08_05.jpg

None of these suggestions from me constitute actual 'spots' though. In fact I've never seen a Croma in the wild, or even in my local Fiat dealers - they probably had more sense than to order one as a demonstrator.

Apparently Michael Schumacher had a Croma as his company car (well, one of them) when he was still in Ferrari's employ. Wonder if they're GR8 4 DRFTN?

I have had the 'pleasure' or working on one - its more of a Saab 9-3 than a Fiat. Very impressive looking underneath,and bags of room inside,but as for oil filter changing ... have a umbrella handy !