Idiosyncratic Swedish tat - 900 Kombi-Coupe

Milford Cubicle

I bought this sage green 900i 8v for £345 on the 'Bay, probably a bit too much but it has got 5 months tax and an MOT until October, added to that, it is my favourite Saab bodystyle, it's very clean apart from a few bubbles of rust, and it's just old enough to be covered by classic car insurers (£19 a month hooray!).

Despite rumours of mega-understeer from the pisspoor 'Honest John' website I found it very neutral to drive on the way back with lots of body roll accompanied by plenty of grip from both ends, it's quite fun to drive in a strange way.

The engine is workmanlike, and has a strange electric-style whine but it propels the 900 along pretty well and doesn't use as much fuel as I was expecting.

Unfortunately it's lacking the stuff I like, like original dealer plates, the ones on it right now are in some terrible Comic Sans MS-style font and supplied by the Saab owners club no less, and dealer stickers.

It also struggles to idle sometimes (any ideas?), and there's a grating noise coming from the nearside wheel when rounding right-hand bends.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice one Milf - welcome to the wonderful world of Saab 900 ownership! I too am always pleasantly surprised by the way these things handle - there's no logical reason why they should be as good as they are. The whining noise from the engine is normal for a 900i, it's just the way they are. Difficulty idling when hot is a common problem too - my Turbo ofen threatens to cut out when stopping at lights, although it's never actually done so yet. So go on then, 'fess up - how many times have you tried to put the ignition key in the steering column since you bought it? :wink:

V-reg 900i? Must have been a 99.

Not nessecelery. My 8-valve 900 Turbo is on a T plate. Think the 900 came out in 78.
Good point, I forget how old the 900 actually is, and how much the 99 and 900 overlapped - my friend has one of the last 99s and it's on an 'A' plate.Nice site Mr. B0ll. They only seem to be interested in drivers of minivans with overly tinted rear windows though...

V-reg 900i? Must have been a 99.

Not nessecelery. My 8-valve 900 Turbo is on a T plate. Think the 900 came out in 78.
Good point, I forget how old the 900 actually is, and how much the 99 and 900 overlapped - my friend has one of the last 99s and it's on an 'A' plate.
Mum's was a 79/80 car. They went back as far as T suffix, possibly S, not 100%. Besides the 1994-99 Saab 900 was a very different proposition which had more in common with the 9-3 which replaced it, would it have still had the ignition in the centre console? Mind you, I'm trying to think about dad's 9-5 & I'm starting to think that all Saabs have a centre console ignition, always have & probably always will!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice buy. I've a pair (84 & 89) 16v turbos -completely different characters. 89 has just been recommissioned after the clutch failed, necessitating a new plate, pedal assembly and slave cylinder...Poor tickover when hot seems common, as does misfiring at higher revs. I think the electrics need to be scrupulously correct- I often find cleaning the rotor arm tip helps temporarily. Pattern rotor arms dont seem to imporve things so genuine spec needed.Good luck with it -nice buy of a good car

Hope your wife's OK after the crash Nigel.I'd love to own a Turbo, they don't seem to be any less economical than the non-turbos and they're often not much more expensive to buy. The non-turbo 8v is a good slogger, but it's a touch uninspiring.But I'm amazed at how chuckable the car is despite the 'wrongness' of the engine/gearbox layout, which makes up for the engine's dullness.Managed to sort out the hot idle issue with a new fuel filter.

That would have been my next stop -seems to make a difference I cant fathom! I'd expect to lose top end, not idle -but you're right -does seem to work.I love 'em -and they make excellent tow cars.My missus rolled the GM900 turbo a few days back. Rolled twice, and ended in the armco -but she could open all the doors, the screen stayed in place -despite a 90degree bend in it, and it still runs Ok despite a stoved in front end. I drove it off the low loader, no probs. I know its not a proper Saab -but nevertheless a strong un.