The Great Depreciation Challenge! Beat this.

warren t claim

Just worked out that the list price for my Mercedes with all it's trimmings when new was £25,108.

Let's say I paid £350 for it... 8)

That means it has lost 98.6% of its value over the last 17 years!

Can anyone beat that figure with their current shite?

£2350 for my Merc last year, at 12 years old, invoice for £45K new...

Big petrol cars rule, S500 L for me next I reckon, around a 2000 model, another year should see them within budget :D

1125.oo for a 1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance when it was 20 years old. I have no idea what the new price was but you needed to be a doctor or lawyer in the US to buy one; and a pretty "successful" one at that. World's Number One Luxury Car, and the top of their range too...

Three years later I swapped it for a 1987 BMW 525e (won't make that mistake again!) and a 1988 Mini Mayfair. I kept the BMW four weeks (five weeks too long) and the Mini four months, and sold them both for cash, which totalled up to... exactly what I paid for the Cadillac in the first place!

• 9 years later...

Was talking to my mate the other day about his insignia SRI he bought at 12 months old. 2500 miles on it he payed 19. List price was 32k. I’m unable to work out the percentage loss, because the price he payed will be more than the dealer bought it for..... but I worked it out at about £6 a mile 

Wife made me buy her a brand new car in 2006, because neither of us had had one before.  We bought a Suzuki Ignis although "bought" is a bit of a stretch: we swopped a three year old PT Cruiser in, no cash involved.  A little over three years later we gave the Suzuki away, to her daughter's inlaws, so that's 100%.

Fun game!  As far as I can tell, my big liability Audi A8 cost somebody's offshore account 50k back in 2003... If we're adjusting for inflation, that's 79 big ones!  The £1500 smackers I paid is about 1.88% of that, a mere 13 years (and 130,000 miles) later!  Must have been nice new though...

Is there a quicker way to lose money?!

10 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

My Jag that cost me $3,500 sold new for $80,000* in 1985.

(* Approximately. I can’t recall the exact figure, it’s written on the brochure in the seat pocket, but it was definitely $80,xxx)

80k in'85 is equivalent to 244k today!  According to the Bank of England inflation calculator... I knew jaaaaags were pretty exclusive, but 'kinnel!  

trying to find out how much a 80 1.3 fiesta ghia was i could only find out a base 76 model was 1716 quid

i rescued the ghia from under a tree for 40 quid in 1996 ish

if the brochure lickers here could help id like to know for curiosity

fanks

edit 99.04%