New Disastray

Volksy

Well, after working my way through most of my local Enterprise agents fleet, they have finally issued me with a car for the rest of the summer.

It's a 'New' Astra 1.6 SE, and I'm really not sure about it.

Firstly, it's a bloody big car, and it feels it. The 1.6 engine seems to have it's work cut out, in the way that it has NO mid range power at all, none, zip, nada. Sometimes necessitating changing down two gears and revving the nuts off it to build up any speed at all. It therefore feels galacialy slow. Even pulling out on roundabouts can get your bum twitching (think BMW 318 Auto) :shock:

It's equipped with a daft electronic handbrake, which I had on a Scenic a few years back and didn't mind, as the Renault system was reasonably intuitive, The Vauxhall system however isn't, it sometimes holds the brakes on too long, making the car look like a dog wiping it's arse on your best rug. It also doesn't come on automatically when you switch the engine off, and the switch is absolutley tiny necessitation a grope around the centre console every time you stop.

Now I don't know about you, but I've never complained about pulling a lever to operate the handbrake...

To make things worse, it has a 'Hill Start Assist' assist system, which means you stop on a hill, press the foot pedal hard, and it applies the brakes until you lift the clutch to set off.. Well in theory you think thats what it should do. but it doesn't, it only keeps the brakes on for a second or so to allow you to set off, if you sit on a hill, go to set off and take a little too long about it, after a second it releases the brakes and you roll backwards, as the lady in the Clio behind me found out this morning!

It has, like most new cars I guess, a DMF, which leads to lumpy power delivery... I could go on..

I reckon a 1.6 NA petrol enigne is just not an appropriate engine for a small-medium family car any more, nowadays these cars are just too heavy man. Thats my opinion anyway. I'm sure the Astra would be a lot more palatable with a diesel engine and I would have thought that most will be sold as diesels. Due to the laws of physics, NA petrol engines are not really any more torquey nowadays than they were in the 50's, but cars weigh so much more than they did then due to all the ridiculous servos and so on for 'electric handbrakes' and other wank that no one needs.

If its slow now, imagine what it would be like with 4 people and some luggage! bloody awful I imagine.

Diesels are the new petrols! For a 'tolerable' everyday driving experience in 2010 you need a diesel, a 1.6 NA petrol is the option for miserable gits (and hire companies).

Can't say I've driven one but noting the size of the new Astra I'd imagine they're more than a little asthmatic.

It's a shame really because the 1.6 petrol engine in the Mk4 Astra and the earlier Zafiras was the best lump they did. Not earth shatteringly quick but pulled reasonably well, decent on fuel and reliable.

Lost of modern cars (inc. the Vectra C I briefly owned) bug me because the manafacturers must just assume that we want seats that have a lever (rather than a knob) adjuster so you can never quite get it the way you want it amongst other things.

Has it got the stupid indicators that seem to be standard fit on all modern Vauxhalls? - the ones that randomly decide for themselves whether they're in 'lane change' mode (3 flashes) or on constantly.

You can complete a motorway run looking like you've got your hazard lights on half the way, after you try knocking these f**king things off and continually indicating the other way.

I hate the things - no matter how well you drive they make you look like you've given Nursie the slip and car-jacked a Vauxhall.

OK, rant over.

the missus drives a 06 plate mk5/h badermatic astra with a 1.8 engine.

as much as i moan about it, its been a very reliable car over the last few years, and plenty of poke. akthough i wasnt very impressed witht the manual version when i drove it.

i find the lane change indicators quite useful

am i alone here in thinking the mk5's were ok?

They're a lot bigger that the old one in the metal. The forthcoming estate is bigger still - saw a convoy of two prototypes (last-minute suspension tuning, perhaps) on the M40 a couple of weeks ago, trailed by an Insignia and Vivaro van with about 20 aerials on the roof, all Russelsheim-registered.

I think the torque issues may be satisfied by the turbo'd petrol engines higher up the range. The boggo 1600 is obviously the mingebag option. Similar story with the VAG TSI motors.

I quite liked the basic 1.4 Life Mk5 Astra, a fairly honest device although it would never set your hair on fire. Not so convinced about the bigger-engined higher-spec ones though. Have they shorted the short gearing in the new one - it drove me mad to be pulling 4000rpm at 75mph in the Mk5s.

The astra does have the 3 flash indicators :? , unlike other Vauxhalls I've driven recently the indicator stays in the on position until they self cancel, so essentially you can cancel them yourself. Which must be due to complaints from the old system.

Ford's new Fiesta, of which I had the other day, had the ability to cancel this feature if you wished through the vehicle options on the on board computer.

I've not been on the Motorway in it yet, but will be heading down to Heathrow later on today... Let's hope at more than 50mph.....

They're a lot bigger that the old one in the metal.

Aye, I saw one in the flesh today followed by a Vectra C and I thought it looked about the same size as a Signum. The Astra is 20cm shorter though, and even the top-end Signum V6 diesel is lighter than the top-end 4-pot Astra. There is a generation of difference though, and the Astra might have more kit but fuck me, I thought cars were supposed to be becoming lighter and more efficient.

Something like an Astra shouldn't weigh as much as a Jaguar XF.

They'd certainly need more interior room than the Mk4 that's for sure. My one gripe with them was the crap rear leg room and with fast growing teenage kids it could be a pain.

This all sounds thoroughly depressing! Yet those with a 'new is better' philosophy will still continue to put up with such drivel.

Does the current Mondeo not have an electric handbrake? My next door neighbour's 54 reg C-Max has and caused me and him much grief in the snowy weather earlier this year, when his battery had died. Since he was butted right up to his garage (short driveway), he couldn't even get the key in the lock to open the bonnet! Cue much hilarity with a trolley jack on a sloped driveway to initially lift and move it, disconnecting my battery to put in his car in order to push it near mine (with no grip in the snow), then swapping the battery back in order to jump start it.

That's progress!

Seems to be... it's an 8-valve rather than 16, and according to the blurb has things like a variable jommetry turbo... it's euro 4 spec, has the same number of torques as the 2.0 (which I couldn't afford... durr!) and does about the same to the gallon as the 2.0, which is a damn sight better than the 30mpg I'm getting out my current 1.8 petrol Focus! Had three brand new Fords in succession (this'll be the fourth) so I hold hope for it, even though it appears it's going to be a jinx in terms of dates...

Ordered: 7/7/10

Projected build date: 13/8/10... a Friday :roll:

Date of delivery... 11/9/10... :shock:

I've read that the Ford 1.8 TDCi is another variation on the old 1753cc diesel that's been going since prehistory, is that right?

I think it's descended from the CVH, bet they didn't think its direct descendent would be chewing up DMFs 30 years later.

EFA I believe the expression is!

Something like an Astra shouldn't weigh as much as a Jaguar XF.

:lol:

They weigh almost as much as a new XJ with a 5 litre V8!

It's 2004.

I'm running my first XM (the free one - now dismembered in the lockup). Two metres wide and nearly five long, it weighs about 1300kg.

My neighbour brings home his new Polo TDi. Obviously smaller than the Citroen, but 100kg more...

:shock:

I'm not that fond on the new Astra. It's too big, too bulbous, too nondescript and overpriced, just like the Insignia. I actually call it the 'Astrablob'. Am I the only one who thinks it looks like the current Fiat Bravo, especially from the rear? The first time I saw the rear end of one, that's what I thought it was until I caught sight of the over-sized badge. I've yet to drive one so I certainly can't comment on that front.

The 1.6 16v ecotec is (or was) a thoroughly decent lump if cared for. My father had two on the bounce and loved them. No problems at all from either. Decent enough grunt for it’s size and sweeter/more free revving than the very similar sounding 1.8. In the mk4 Astra it was decent. In the mk5 Astra it was okay too (they twinported it in around mid 2005 and it started to make that annoying ‘hiss’ like smaller ecotecs). I can only agree with Cavette’s eariler comments. It was the best all-round unit they did. Obviously the new Astra has effectively strained the life out the poor old thing.

I've never had a problem with the indicators on modern Vauxhall's either. Tap lightly for three flashes and press all the way to turn them on properly. Tap the stalk in either direction, Vauxhall recommend tapping in the same direction. if you want to turn it off (i.e - not turned the wheel far enough to self cancel). I really fail to see what the big issue is with them. Other than actually 'clicking' them on, they work in exactly the same fashion as any other indicator stalk on the left hand side of the column.

I'm not terribly fond of electric handbrakes. Currently my only experience of them is on the current Audi A4. One of few modern cars which I actually think is a decent all-rounder. The electronic handbrake is a nightmare though. Have you ever tried doing a hill start in one? As soon as the clutch bites, no matter how slight, it immediately releases... There's very little control. Yet on flat surfaces, it can be a little 'sticky' when you try to drive away where it should release and won't.

seems to have the worst case scenario of that problem... :lol: On other occasions, as soon as you flick the switch up to turn it on, it almost immediately releases...

am i alone here in thinking the mk5’s were ok?

Nope. I had a mk5 and whilst I honestly preffered the mk4 (it felt wider on the inside to me and felt a bit better put together), it was still screwed together well and generally very reliable. It was a sharp handler and decent on fuel too. It was much more pleasing on the eye than the Focus in my eyes also.

I'm also a big fan of the Vectra C. A much underrated large mile-muncher. I do feel at times I'm the only one to have ever really appreciated them. In my opinion all they really needed to do to it was tart up the outside a bit (I always liked the look of it, very blocky and substantial, and still much prefer it to the Insignia) and replace the dashboard.

I work at a Vauxhall dealer. I bought a 2006 Focus in 2008..... What does that tell you? Yes, it's a 1.6 100 brake. But top spec Ghia with heated leather and all the other bollocks.... I have 4 other Fords too. The last Vauxhall I had was an Astra F Estate with the Isuzu in. I just don't like any new Vauxhall, but the NEW Meriva is growing on me. 1.4 Turbo 140 brake SE looks good on paper

The big hire fleets (National, Enterprise, etc.,) get landed with the cars you wouldn't buy, 'cos they come as part of the package deal from the manufacturers.

The manufacturers get a 9/10,000 miler back, to go on a forecourt somewhere, to be sold at an *AMAZING OFFER PRICE*. One owner, 546 careless drivers... :lol:

I used to do a bit of car shunting for National, and the Vectras with that bloody stupid indicator stalk, used to catch me out. God knows how many folk on the M8 had me down as an inept TWOC'er.

Those 'Hill Hold' systems have been on trucks for a while now, and I f*cking hate them too. Tried it out on a Merc Actros the other day, and actually ended up rolling backwards... :shock:

The Transit indicators will give three flashes if you flick them but otherwise they work as normal. I do find it quite useful, except it's difficult to do the thing you're meant to do when lorry drivers flash you in after overtaking.

The thing that annoys me on the Transit is the washers. You get the few sweeps as normal when you wash the screen, then it waits a bit and gives another sweep- which always makes the screen dirty again. You can stop it doing that by doing a flick wipe immediately after the first lot but it's still annoying.

The big hire fleets (National, Enterprise, etc.,) get landed with the cars you wouldn't buy, 'cos they come as part of the package deal from the manufacturers.

I think this is the problem.

Most of this stuff is now designed for and churned out to satify the rental market (especially these days when reps get Audi/VW/BMW products as company cars).

Ford and especially Vauxhall need to take a good look at what has happened to their American sister companies who mistakenly went down the road of producing ultra-bland shit only suitable as airport-rentals.

The thing that annoys me on the Transit is the washers. You get the few sweeps as normal when you wash the screen, then it waits a bit and gives another sweep- which always makes the screen dirty again. You can stop it doing that by doing a flick wipe immediately after the first lot but it's still annoying.

I think most cars do that now. My Kangoo ALWAYS does one wipe too many, resulting in significant screen smearage. :x