Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It appears there is a Delboy van type epidemic sweeping the nation

*A couple of these images have been shamelessly ripped off from other members for which I make no apologies...

Most appropriate number plate of ever on the Mini.

Hey, you think those shown are bad? You should have tried going to school in the late seventies in Britain, anyone who was no-one painted those stripes on their cars. Hillman Avengers, Cortinas, the lot :lol:

Posted Image

Same green stripey deck chairs as me!! :D Homebase circa 1995. I've also got the matching parasol with plastic base. Mine are still in excellent condition despite being 15 years old..... I was always told to look after things as a child and I do!!

I was sat on one of said chairs only yesterday reading a book......(a Lee Child novel for those of a literary bent.....).

Does this qualify for most boring response of the day?? 8)

In the book Morse drives a Lancia, wonder why they changed it for the TV

I imagine because the Jaguar fitted better with the archetypal English setting of Oxford.

And the fact that most "ordinary" people wouldn't know a Lancia if it ran them over!

Heard Colin Dexter being interviewed about Morse's car once, apparently they started looking for a suitable Lancia but couldn't find one that felt right, have to admit I couldn't see John Thaw driving a volumex or a dedra so think the Jag idea was hatched then,

If I remember rightly that mk2 Jag cost them £300 in the late 80's and was a complete wreck, apparently John Thaw hated it. though they have edited 'Lancia' out of the reprinted books and replaced it with 'Jaguar'

Think Colin Dexter also left a clause in his will that no other actor could play Morse as Thaw's potrayl couldn't be improved on, a lesson there for these Sweeney remakers perhaps? :wink:

Dunno about cop shows, but with a lottery win I think I'd quite like to see an Autoshite remake of Smokey & The Bandit... thinking along the lines of a harvest golf Marina 1300SDL 'Coupe' as a blocker for a rotten Leyland Marathon 2, bootlegging something pointless like 24 tonnes of ball bearings from a factory unit in Inverkeithing to... Cork... maybe...

... just me then!

Dunno about cop shows, but with a lottery win I think I'd quite like to see an Autoshite remake of Smokey & The Bandit... thinking along the lines of a harvest golf Marina 1300SDL 'Coupe' as a blocker for a rotten Leyland Marathon 2, bootlegging something pointless like 24 tonnes of ball bearings from a factory unit in Inverkeithing to... Cork... maybe...

... just me then!

I'd be up for that! Use the old paper mill as the obligatory hideout, stick some horns on a red Crayford Cortina, and it's sure to succeed. Liberate the old MK2 Granny motorway car from the Kelvin Hall...

Or a spot of A-Team action, with a Bedford CF in matt black and red stripe colour scheme. Welding unlikely stuff together, and making it drive thro barns should come naturally to us 'Shiters, no?

Or how about re-doing Vanishing Point on the A14, with a Vauxhall Cresta?.

Or Bullitt. But in Carlisle, with the hero in a green Sierra 1.6L, and the baddies in a black Pug 405 diesel? You get the idea... :lol:

There was a copy of the Mk4 Cortina done in the late 80s, it finished its days in Tanygroes breakers in West Wales in 1997. I think it featured in the secondhand cars bit of Car in the early 1990s.

In the US you could buy a replica stripe (decal) kit from Ford, you had to order it with a new red Torino though.

Can't criticize the Datsun.

Indeed. It was mine! Bought for the grand sum of £25, now dead but bits of it live on all over the place including Finland, Portugal, Holland, Wales and Downham Market. The Dulux stripes were the work of the previous owner, it won a prize in Framlingham Carnival I believe. Still got the bootlid in my garage.

I have a vague recollection of French & Saunders making a disparaging comment about a Datsun Cherry painted-up like the S&H car in one of their shows many years ago.

There was an S&H ‘replica’ Mk1 Celica in Ipswich 15+ years ago (before values of them went up).

... just me then!

I'd be up for that! Use the old paper mill as the obligatory hideout, stick some horns on a red Crayford Cortina, and it's sure to succeed. Liberate the old MK2 Granny motorway car from the Kelvin Hall...

Or a spot of A-Team action, with a Bedford CF in matt black and red stripe colour scheme. Welding unlikely stuff together, and making it drive thro barns should come naturally to us 'Shiters, no?

Or how about re-doing Vanishing Point on the A14, with a Vauxhall Cresta?.

Or Bullitt. But in Carlisle, with the hero in a green Sierra 1.6L, and the baddies in a black Pug 405 diesel? You get the idea... :lol:

Both excellent ideas guys.

My fantasy Smokey and The Bandit remake would have a black Manta GT/E (still with screaming chicken decal on the bonnet) running blocker for a Bedford TK full of ESP lager brought back on a booze cruise from Calais.

In my version The Bandit would be played by Peter Bowles, and The Snowman by Geoffrey Hughes.

Buford T Justice would be replaced by Gene Hunt, with Chris Skelton accompanying him on the chase, to comedic effect.

I know it's weird!

If I remember correctly,the Mk 4 Cortina was actually built by Ford when they were new :shock:

Could be onto to something there as that Cortina does appear to have a Ford press fleet reg on it PNO on a R was used on MKIV's.

Yes, that Mk4 in the picture above was done by Ford for the 1977 Motorshow.

The one I saw in a Welsh scrapyard was definitely a replica - think it was on a T or V plate.