GR8 4 Collecting Pension.

Angrydicky

Well as some of you will know, my old 2CV was written off the other week so I decided to look for something suitably shite to replace it. Well when I saw this on Ebay I just had to go and have a look. As soon as I got to the yard where the car was stored, well, it was love at first sight.

The car was for sale by a scrap metal dealer in Chelmsford, sometime last year he went to pick up an old Shogun from a house in Maldon, while he was there the Shogun owner's elderly mother asked him if he wanted to take another car away with him. She opened the garage and there was this Maestro. She had bought it new from the local garage in 1985 and it had only covered 29,000 miles before being laid up in 1999.

Well I ended up buying it, and it is not far off an MOT now. So far I've serviced it, fixed the petrol pipe and vacuum advance pipes, cleaned, polished and washed all the mud out of the arches. There is a bit of rust in the arch areas, mainly surface, so this will all be treated before painting in the original ARG Champagne.I managed to get the last three tins of Champagne from my local motor factors (which has an amazing amount of eighties tat accessories btw). The guy there gave me the Maestro keyring shown below because he'd had it on the shelf for the last 20 years and didn't think he would ever sell it! I also fitted a set of AR wheeltrims because the wheels are a bit rusty, but trust me, they are only a temporary measure and the povvo-spec centre caps will be reinstated soon!

I think the only things it needs for the MOT now is welding by the rear suspension mounts on each side and to change the n/s rear tyre for the spare as it has a nasty bulge in it. Soon I will get a new set of budgets on it, as the ones on it might not be very worn but they are very old. I will also change the brake fluid and coolant. It does however drive very well, smooth, quiet and surprisingly nippy. Just got the little hurdle of insurance, oh, and an MOT....

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

Mmmm brown :D

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Original pov spec centre caps and the original owner's walking stick!
IMG_0385.jpg

Hmm crusty...

IMG_0387.jpg

The other side is the same.
IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

Not this one!
IMG_0390.jpg

Blanking plates literally everywhere!

IMG_0393.jpg

Original pov-spec radio, not even a cassette player! Does sound surprisingly good, in a tinny, eighties kind of way.

IMG_0392.jpg

Moar brown.

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

Hope you like :D

Thats great man. Early dash model too for maximum purity of Maestro concept, whatever that is!

I reckon the 1275 is the most appealing Maestro, this is making me want to ring up that lad off R-R with the beige C-reg one and sort a deal with him. Only prob is i'd have to 'A' it home behind the Rover which seems a bit 'pushing my luck'.

That ticks all the boxes*, well done! Looks like it could be a very nice clean example when you get the welding sorted. Need to clean up that rear bumper though. And get a decorative tissue-box holder for the parcel shelf.

*that are marked 'Shite'

Thats great man. Early dash model too for maximum purity of Maestro concept, whatever that is!

I reckon the 1275 is the most appealing Maestro, this is making me want to ring up that lad off R-R with the beige C-reg one and sort a deal with him. Only prob is i'd have to 'A' it home behind the Rover which seems a bit 'pushing my luck'.

Go for it Bol, that looks well tidy and I bet you could get it very cheap as well, he hasn't had much serious interest in it ;)

That ticks all the boxes*, well done! Looks like it could be a very nice clean example when you get the welding sorted. Need to clean up that rear bumper though. And get a decorative tissue-box holder for the parcel shelf.

*that are marked 'Shite'

On the "to do" list ;)

Bastards. Was looking for the original supplying dealership of my Sterling (Eddy Grimstead, Austin-Rover, Longbridge Road, Essex) and its just flast/houses now, not long built. :(

Longbridge Road, Barking? Well Eddy Grimstead are definitely still in business, I've seen recently registered cars with "Eddy Grimstead Romford" on the back, so it just looks like they've moved from Barking to Romford. I think they are a KIA dealership now.

Edit: Citroen, Peogeot and Hyundai - http://www.eddygrimstead.co.uk/

Bastards. Was looking for the original supplying dealership of my Sterling (Eddy Grimstead, Austin-Rover, Longbridge Road, Essex) and its just flast/houses now, not long built. :(

Longbridge Road, Barking? Well Eddy Grimstead are definitely still in business, I've seen recently registered cars with "Eddy Grimstead Romford" on the back, so it just looks like they've moved from Barking to Romford. I think they are a KIA dealership now.

Edit: Citroen, Peogeot and Hyundai - http://www.eddygrimstead.co.uk/

Correct. To be honest, I was going by the actual physical garage it came from, the number was 105/115 Longbridge Road. Looking on google earth 105/115 seems to have been turned into new flats. I know Eddy Grimstead group are still going and I was tempted to contact them (As they'd be interested :roll: )