The last car.

scaryoldcortina

Been thinking on the way home tonight. Imagine that the budget went very differently indeed, and the following happened.

Peak oil has not just been reached, it's past and no-one told us. At current rate of consumption, in 5 years all the oil will be gone, forever. This is, obviously, a bit serious, so serious measures have to be applied. From september, the sale of cars becomes illegal, other than for scrap. New car production is halted immediatly, 3 months remain to trade around to get your last car ever. Fuel will become scarce. Running on veg oil is outlawed because eating is more important, spares will be plentiful as everyone gives up and walks instead, no more DVLA or MoT either. Do what you have to to survive and drive, but as long as there is law and order you can't have a different car.

So... what is it going to be? Economical survivor, or out in a blaze of glory?

Personally, I'd want my mk3 cortina. It's a good shell, solid bumpers front and back, room under the hood for a bigblock and a charger for when I have to outrun the great humungous. :?

It'd have to be a Starion or one of those 80's 300ZX's.

(My old one ... sniff):

Posted Image

Posted Image

We've become more dependent on cars. I've walking everywhere lately, ten miles there and back to a shop and it's great. I'd be glad to see the back of fossil fuel used in cars, and the huge amount of cars on the road. I love them, but I'd rather ride a bike or walk in nice weather.

Probably an SD1 VdP EFi. In black.

Worryingly, you seem to be preparing for such a scenario.

I'd choose something big and meaty. Then put off actually getting such a vehicle until it was far too late, only to wind up with a Kia Pride (H-reg, red, rear wiper snapped off and a dented passenger door).

For me probably a Skyline or something.

Probably an SD1 VdP EFi. In black.

Worryingly, you seem to be preparing for such a scenario.

I'd choose something big and meaty. Then put off actually getting such a vehicle until it was far too late, only to wind up with a Kia Pride (H-reg, red, rear wiper snapped off and a dented passenger door).

Presumeably faded to pink, which would make you Mr Ghey Apocolypse or something. Like a camp mad max. :lol:

+1 for cycling and walking. Can't get enough of it at the mo what with all this nice weather, I cycle to work all year round which takes about 15mins which is a bonus. I'd keep my recently purchased '04 Focus 1.6 which seems to sip fuel even though it's thrashed everywhere when I do use it

I'm afraid I would be on a Kawasaki Z1 determined to kill all of you for the contents of your tanks. Sorry!

That got me thinking. I could run a little offy, probly swing the ignition on me GPz enough to run it on cheap plonk/vodka. All welcome at the spirit shop! Get mightily pissed while blowing up a few engines perfecting the timing. Sorted.