My 2CV - crashed :(

Angrydicky

Diamond is the girlie only branch of Admiral insurance (probably not insured in daddy's name then).. as a third party you shouldn't have any trouble, their hands are tied, tbh. ;)

True, thinking about it now I think it was the mothers insurance she was a named driver on.

Only problem going through the insurance is that they will likely pay out fuck all as book value will be so little.

This is why being a member of the club would have been good. We carry some clout.

However, when the Minor got destroyed, I managed to get the offer upped by using cuttings from a certain classic car sales newspaper. Maybe a print out from www.2cvtv.com/forsale.htm would be handy too. That was another case where I'd failed to send the Agreed Valuation form back in time. If you've got an agreed value policy - GET IT DONE!

Only problem going through the insurance is that they will likely pay out fuck all as book value will be so little.

That only happens with insurance when you are claiming on your own policy (cos it was either your fault, or the guilty party was uninsured/untraceable in some way like theft or hit and run). That's when you get £200 for the car, and your premium goes up £300 next year, third party claims are totally different, most insurers will just pay up whatever is asked (within reason) rather than risk court costs and expenses when they lose.

As an example, my trade policy paid out £4500 recently after I bumped a clio at some traffic lights. She pulled away but hit the brake instead of the clutch going for second gear.. I nudged it about 6 ft forwards, didn't even break my numberplate, but MY FAULT cos she was in front.

If you've got an agreed value policy - GET IT DONE!

Already done, and 2CVGB paperwork ready to send! Well Dicky sorry to hear about your accident - if there is anything good to come out of this, is that you can now give the car a proper resto once you have bodyshell off - if you're going to do the job yourself (with some help) then Veloce 2CV restoration manual is a very good purchase.

Didn't know Frome 2CV had gone bust - their website is still active, I tend to use ECAS for my bits.

Diamond is the girlie only branch of Admiral insurance (probably not insured in daddy's name then).. as a third party you shouldn't have any trouble, their hands are tied, tbh. ;)

True, thinking about it now I think it was the mothers insurance she was a named driver on.

Same as I said earlier then but the mother is probably committing fraud by saying she is the main driver. Blokes don't normally drive Z3's do they!

(IMHO)

What a pisser! Still, any crash you walk (or hobble) away from is a good 'un. I dunno what the procedure is in the rest of the UK, but the Road Traffic Order (Northern Ireland) states that you MUST inform your insurers. Also, insurance companies get a bit peeved if they're not told.

I'd inform the police too, not out of malice, but to make sure all bases are covered and lots of paperwork generated. I was almost killed when I was 19 in an RTA, and was offered a one-time payment for my injuries of 10 large. Glad I didn't take it, as I have needed medical treatment ever since because of it.

Still, glad you seem to be relatively OK, Dicky. Oh, and go see your GP soon as.

Yeah, it's all very familiar sounding.... as said above, you are the innocent third party - hit from behind while stationary is about as clear cut as it gets, particularly with the admission of guilt ALL costs to you (including injury, time off work, hire car) can be claimed from the other driver's insurance without affecting yours at all. You even have the right to insist the car is repaired to pre-accident condition regardless of value or cost.

Good luck!

Even if the car is written off?

To buy a 2CV on the road you'd be looking at £1000, and even then it would be a scruffy one.

It's your value of the car that counts here, not theirs - a third party insurance company can't write off your car and can't set its value either. They can suggest a value to compensate you, you don't have to accept. IF your car is unrepairable, you can insist on replacement in kind (ie get me a roadworthy 2cv please) if it is fixable (which it is, by the looks, expensive, uneconomic yes, but fixable) you can insist that it is fixed. See my above post. £4500 paid out to fit and spray a rear bumper, and provide a hire car for a week! Getting a grand for a roadworthy deux chevaux is letting them off cheap!

It's your value of the car that counts here, not theirs - a third party insurance company can't write off your car and can't set its value either. They can suggest a value to compensate you, you don't have to accept. IF your car is unrepairable, you can insist on replacement in kind (ie get me a roadworthy 2cv please) if it is fixable (which it is, by the looks, expensive, uneconomic yes, but fixable) you can insist that it is fixed. See my above post. £4500 paid out to fit and spray a rear bumper, and provide a hire car for a week! Getting a grand for a roadworthy deux chevaux is letting them off cheap!

Thanks for that information, most helpful. As I said I don't know much about this at all.

One thing I'm not sure about, is that once the insurance company have paid out, the car becomes their's, is that correct? And if so, once it is repaired would I have to buy it back, at the price they suggest, which could be the whole cost of repair? (which could run into thousands)

I had to chase the little scrote who drove into me when he scarpered. As he was close to home he played the I’ll get my father to square up to him and he’ll back off routine. Not so. Despite much mouthing off his best efforts came to nothing and the next day laddo had admitted full liability.

As to dealing directly with the other party’s insurer I was a bit wary of this initially but apparently it’s common practice. I turned down their preferred repairers and insisted on using one of my own choosing. To be honest I found the experience preferable to dealing with one of my previous insurers whose "independent" assessor had tried to negotiate settlement with me a couple of hours after looking at the car. Independent my arse. They lost 3 car policies and a house and contents over that and my Barrister friend kicked their arse until a sensible offer incuding keeping the car was made.

Good luck. Hope you manage to get the car fixed.

No, the car stays yours, unless you settle for cash and sell them the car. If you insist on repair, they pay the bills but you get the car back. If your FJ policy has a legal helpline, its worth giving them a bell for advice ;) like DW says all the paperwork and dealing with is done between the insurers but the final say is yours.

Argh, sorry to hear that AD, just so long as you're ok mate!

I agree with what scaryoldcortina says.

Additionally, in the event of an assessor coming to view the car - you can 'argue the case' for the car's value backing your argument up with recent adverts for similar car/condition to show the expected value in the event of a cash settlement.

Hope you get sorted somehow.

I am sure i will have mentioned this before, but I drove into the back of a taxi last year when i was giving evils to someone in a Porsche who had cut me up ( :oops: ).

The Xsara was written off, but the insurance company kindly gave me £2,250 for it which was £1,250 more than i paid for it. I had spent some time on autotrader gathering prices of similar age/mileage cars whilst awaiting what i thought would be a piss poor valuation, and was looking at getting £1,700 but was pleasantly surprised. Goes to show they will not always try and rip you off.

Make sure you go through the insurance company though. I have not done this before, and have been fine. However other people I know have ended up getting ripped off badly.

• 10 years later...

Christ! Probably the oldest thread of mine that’s ever been resurrected!

I sold D748 PJN to the owner of Ville Vans who converted it into a highly fashionable van. I saw a photo of it a while after and it looked very nice, though I don’t think much remains of the original car. It was very rusty!

8 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Christ! Probably the oldest thread of mine that’s ever been resurrected!

I sold D748 PJN to the owner of Ville Vans who converted it into a highly fashionable van. I saw a photo of it a while after and it looked very nice, though I don’t think much remains of the original car. It was very rusty!

Dare we ask how it played out in the end re the settlement from the insurance companies?!  I’ve come this far....