Memory dealer?

Cavcraft

Stormont Woolwich. When I was at the poly in 91 my dad picked his H plate seirra lazer lease car from there and stop outside the gates to show it off to me and my mates. Nearly caught me smoking! This pics from 72 only one I could find. It’s now long gone and became a beefeater/prem inn. They pulled my school down too though that still sits a sad and empty site. Was a lovely old building that school. 

8CF75B50-3B81-4C8B-9499-9D9F82B5B197.thumb.jpeg.c6433794ba67cfb71b627e67842f3819.jpeg

8 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

In the 60s when my dad was able to buy brand-new cars, he always bought Fords, which meant, in Southport, Holland Motors in Virginia Street, on the edge of the town centre.  I remember sitting in the various new Fords in the showroom (at primary-school age).  Across the road was where they sold their commercials: being Ford, that would be 307E Anglia Vans, 400E Thames, and then the hot new ticket, the Transit.  Oh and the Trader and then D-series "big stuff."

The site of the car showroom has been a Lidl for many years, and the commercial section has gone in favour of a petrol station, or at least that's what was there last time I looked.  Bear in mind it's nearly 14 years since we left Southport!

Near where I grew up there was Riddington and Rimmer, which I remember being a Rootes dealership, but it's spent many years now touting Mercedes-Benz, and I'm sure the R&R name vanished years before that.  My mate's girlfriend pumped gas there in about 1986, I used to go in with my Maxi.  Almost opposite was another petrol station with a showroom, which my dad often used for his gas.  "Two gallons please!" wouldn't go that far in the Zephyr...  Years later I would go in with my mum's Mini, or my Anglia, because I sort-of fancied Jan and Toni, the two girls working the pumps.  Never did anything about them though: I was always too shy (and they both seemed ridiculously confident) and very much a deciding factor was that they both smoked.  I can't remember if it was actually a dealership for a particular marque; doesn't matter, houses were built on the site about 20 years ago.

I could probably come up with some more, but to bring them up to date I would need to revisit Southport, and I have no real desire to do that.  Also no real reason.

My much missed  XR3i was originally purchased from Holland Motors of Southport. I even remember the reg but as I use it as a password on some web sites I won't repeat it here. 

• 1 month later...

This photo took some finding! It's one I took of Richard Cort's Rover dealership at Blackford Bridge, Bury two days after MG Rover had gone bust - 10th April 2005. 

The main building still stands, but with quite a few additions and extensions to it. It changed hands a long time ago and now sells Volvo. Volvo moved to this site from half a mile further up the road. The old Volvo site is now the home of Mercedes Benz Whitefield... which is not in Whitefield.  

Rover 10th April 2005.jpg

Used to pass The Clock Garage, Castle Bromwich on the way to visit relative in the 80/90s one of the first signs of being in Birmingham after leaving the M6. I can only really remember it being a Peugeot dealer, but I think it had previously been talbot/Rootes.  

It's been demolished and just a fuel station now. The new clock is a bit weaker as a local landmark!

In Tamworth there were a few dealers that are no longer around. One of the most prominent was Bolebridge Garage,  was a Rover dealer, but not sure what  BL brands it sold in earlier years. It was demolished in about 2008 and there is a LIdl and Travelodge on the site, with the modern Ford dealer located behind it.  I can't find a picture of it in the 80s/90s I remember, but did find an earlier one showing it in a street scene, where in my living memory it was in a more open, slightly out of town setting, that probably meant then business remained more access in its later years.

I remember going into the parts shop with a mate who was looking for some bits for a Mini, and we'd barely walked in and he told us what we wanted was no longer available before we'd even asked. 

I grew up in Twickenham,  South West London, and for many years there was a Volvo dealer called Tamplins in the main street.  Twickenham in the 80s and 90s was a Volvo kind of place.  I wonder if there are any surviving old Volvos with a Tamplins sticker still in the back window.