Late registration madness

Mash

On 03/08/2022 at 19:05, Dick Longbridge said:

Mega late XR2. No-one seemed to know the story behind it. 

20220717_114457.jpg

its not late registration madness sadly, "just" a private plate someones managed to squeak onto the car :) 

image.thumb.png.ec85ae48ccc6477a11db336ccb3d32f4.png

its not the only example I know of this happening either

LTN1X is another example, where lakeland car museum managed to squeak an X suffix private reg onto a W suffix car!, the question of course is then how they managed to squeak it onto the car! 

if I had to guess it was either via getting friendly with their local office,  or maybe a special exception made by the DVLA for this car for some special reason (the RAF plate in this case, makes me wonder if it had something air force related?)

if I had the car, id try contacting the 2nd Keeper as it looks like thats when the private plate was stuck on it so they should know the details!

I almost feel bad about it these days someone shows up with some late registration madness "no one knows anything about it!" and then I suck all the mystery out of it by explaining exactly what happened LOL

but I live for this sort of DVLA shenanigans and enjoy figuring it out, as everything happens for a reason! :) 

51 minutes ago, camryv6 said:

I think that was on the blue forum years ago ?

Yup. 'Pete Tong' owned it and resurrected it after it had been sat for a few years. He sold it as an ongoing project but it was finished in red oxide and had lost the bodykit by that point in 2010ish. The XR then vanished off the radar for years - imagine my surprise seeing it looking pristine. 

Edit: Here's his build thread. I prefer it now! 

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/91216/199-ford-fiesta-somthing-winter?page=1

Here's my latest shed; It sat with many others in one of Rover's secure storage compounds (a field somewhere out of sight) from around Summer 1998 until March 2000 when it was dusted off and registered. There were plenty of these about that got S, T and V registrations, but there were only a handful left long enough to get a W plate. 

pxl_20220801_175638261.jpg

On 6/29/2022 at 11:10 PM, RoverFolkUs said:

That MK4 in the tat thread is an R reg! Madness :)

There's a r reg mk4 tdi near me in red with a Swansea reg plate as well, still regularly used. 

Looks OK but the front wings are starting to go. 

I hope they keep it though, it'll be 25 next year. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

That is a late one, the earliest E36 saloons were J plate I think.

Cabs and tourings were out till M plate but never seen an N.

That one says manufactured 1990 but registered 1996, possibly a cock up on an import? Or maybe genuine late reg madness.

@LightBulbFun?

It’s an incorrectly registered import, UK registered in 96 then exported in 2011 as well.

5 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

That is a late one, the earliest E36 saloons were J plate I think.

Cabs and tourings were out till M plate but never seen an N.

That one says manufactured 1990 but registered 1996, possibly a cock up on an import? Or maybe genuine late reg madness.

@LightBulbFun?

it was first registered in the UK as an import in May 1996 and declared manufactured 1995, thus it got given an N prefix plate as appropriate 

it was then seemingly re-declared manufactured 1990 at some point and has not/has yet to be given a suitable age related plate 

hence the apparent late registration madness :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Registered March 2008, nearly three years after MGR went bust so it must have been one of the last to hit the road.

MG_SV_MG08SVR_Brackley_2022-12-27.thumb.jpg.a2ac78dd09116c86599c558d3d409c0b.jpg

According to Wikipedia, there were three unfinished cars bought by a dealer and finally completed in 2013!

the bad obsession motor sport (project binky) lads have an unfinished shell which they are looking to put together

so there might be one more just yet!

34 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

1989 F-reg Manta. I'm pretty sure they stopped making these in 1986 and I've never seen one this late before.

1988 according to Wiki. I remember seeing plenty of E plates back in the day and like the old Rovers they were seen as ancient crap by new car buyers compared to the plethora of late 80s GTis and fast Jap coupes so I guess there were a few orphans that hung around for a year or two before finding owners.

3 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

1988 according to Wiki. I remember seeing plenty of E plates back in the day and like the old Rovers they were seen as ancient crap by new car buyers compared to the plethora of late 80s GTis and fast Jap coupes so I guess there were a few orphans that hung around for a year or two before finding owners.

Wiki says only the GTE continued after '86 and I don't think that one is a GTE so it could have been hanging around a while. It doesn't seem to be registered properly as it shows as an unknown make and model with no engine size on the car check sites.

33 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Wiki says only the GTE continued after '86 and I don't think that one is a GTE so it could have been hanging around a while. It doesn't seem to be registered properly as it shows as an unknown make and model with no engine size on the car check sites.

I think the final Manta's were badged as Exclusives and I've seen a few F plate examples.

6 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Considering it's Luton registered, it's possible Vauxhall decided to pre-register the last ones in storage & dump them on the market.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 8:12 PM, uk_senator said:

Heres another F-plate near me, been sitting there years now (with a cover on most of the time):

38138926984_2b4b399b44_o.jpg

Identical to the first manta I ever bought. Starmist black 1.8 GT exclusive. Quad headlights, rear infill panel, those lovely GM steel wheels and lots of rust! 

m they stopped production in 87 I think but lots of cars filtered out into 88. I know of a mint F plate near me. Carmine red GTE exclusive coupe. Lovely. 

there is a J plate Manta out there but it’s not an original dealer car. I think it was a Steve Thompson car who bought a new shell in the late 80s and then used new parts to build it. They were able to register it through their business and it got a J registration.