Late registration madness

Mash

2 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I've looked into it a bit further, it comes up as not an import and was not used prior to registration. 🤔

I now notice it mainly being in KM too

There's a couple of posts on other forums about this very car with similarly bemused people (if you type in the reg to Google you'll see them)

Couldn't find any explanations from anyone nor the owner posting about it anywhere

The question is why on earth was a non-uk pug 406 that wasn't imported stored in this country and not registered until 2011!? 

I didn't see whether it was LHD or RHD which may have given some pointers. It wasn't too far from me but not exactly local either, when I'm next passing it I'll try to suss out if it's LHD or RHD :)

Does this help?

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82134

32 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

@LightBulbFun are you able to help with telling us anything behind this oddball Puggit 406?

is it wrong that I tend to read these and then wait and see how long it takes before I get tagged? LOL

it could well still be an import, but if it was new or "declared new on date of first registration" (a special note which it will have on its V5c) the full phrasing of which used to be "declared new at first registration in great britain by manufacturer/sole import concessionaire"

then it wont have an import marker, after all, most new cars are imports! only vehicles used prior to the date of first registration in Great britain are given an import marker, or more specficly a used before date of reigstration shown marker (which is old historic british cars which have been re-registered get "import" markers when they are not an import)

it could also be an Ex diplomatic car or such re-registered incorrectly  like @HMC's old Mercedes

On 30/01/2021 at 19:22, LightBulbFun said:

ohh its an interesting one 

when you mention it spent 5 years in the UK before going to Jersey, do you know when this was?

it has an MOT record going back to 2006 and is down as first registered 25th of June 2001

image.thumb.png.a6d78c7ce2585fab0fa9dd279dc6e144.png

but according to the DVLA and looking at it via my special tools, its been registered as if it was a new car in 2011

it has no import/used on date of first registration marker or such and is down manufactured in 2011, as if someone took a new car and registered it so technically not an error on the DVLA side at least

but maybe an error on the person registering it who may have filled in a V55/4 rather then a V55/5!

image.thumb.png.a796ad379b3002b45ea477b5f8ff88ff.png

looks to have had a private plate before 2018 for what thats worth

I have to wonder if it was registered as Diplomatic car/with a diplomatic plate, during its first 5 years here? while they wont show up on the main DVLA checker/any tools they WILL show up in the MOT checker, as the MOT checker is a DVSA thing rather then a DVLA thing which is also why you see record discrepancies from time to time

image.thumb.png.ef60870613ea91df67cbde34b5fa11fa.png

does the V5 have anything in its special notes like "Declared new at first registration" ?

On 09/02/2021 at 17:42, LightBulbFun said:

yeah I talked a bit about it in HMCs thread :) 

TL;DR, I suspect its a combination of 2 things, one someone filling out a V55/4 instead of a V55/5 when registering it with the DVLA in 2011

and that I suspect it may have been a diplomatic car at some point before then given its previous owner history hence the MOT record from 2006 etc

7 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

is it wrong that I tend to read these and then wait and see how long it takes before I get tagged? LOL

it could well still be an import, but if it was new or "declared new on date of first registration" (a special note which it will have on its V5c) the full phrasing of which used to be "declared new at first registration in great britain by manufacturer/sole import concessionaire"

then it wont have an import marker, after all, most new cars are imports! only vehicles used prior to the date of first registration in Great britain are given an import marker, or more specficly a used before date of reigstration shown marker (which is old historic british cars which have been re-registered get "import" markers when they are not an import)

it could also be an Ex diplomatic car or such re-registered incorrectly  like @HMC's old Mercedes

In this case it has not been used prior to first registration and does not have an import marker. It's MOT history starts from 2014 so seems all usual there. 

The idea of it being an ex-diplomatic car does seem the most plausible

I'm sure we'll find out for sure one day if the owner comes forward/it comes up for sale etc

Cheers!

15 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

In this case it has not been used prior to first registration and does not have an import marker. It's MOT history starts from 2014 so seems all usual there. 

The idea of it being an ex-diplomatic car does seem the most plausible

I'm sure we'll find out for sure one day if the owner comes forward/it comes up for sale etc

Cheers!

Yeah I saw that myself as well :)

what im explaining there is that it could still well be a private import from somewhere by someone

because you said in your post it was not an import, im guessing based on the fact you saw no import marker?

so as above I was explaining that despite the lack of import marker it could still well be an import, so its important not discount that angle of things still :) 

for example if I was to go over to France and ship a brand new Citroen Ami to myself right now, it would not show any import markers or such once registered since it will be new on first registration here in the UK

so if someone somewhere in 2011 on holiday found a dealer in france with a 406 that had sat around for many years unsold and the person went "yeah ill have that" and imported it into the UK

then it will just have been treated as any other new car being registered for the first time, (but you would still likely get a Declared new at first registration special note, but theres no way to check for that online AFAIK)

on the diplomatic front the MOT history only goes back to 2014 as you say, and nothing prior to when it was new in 2011 (which makes sense given the 3 year allowance)

so I have my doubts that it was a diplomatic car because then I would expect to see prior DVSA history, going back to before the car was registered with the DVLA, but I dont in this case

but I still mentioned it just incase, perhaps incase it was with a different department or scheme or who knows what! :) 

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Yeah I saw that myself as well :)

what im explaining there is that it could still well be a private import from somewhere by someone

because you said in your post it was not an import, im guessing based on the fact you saw no import marker?

so as above I was explaining that despite the lack of import marker it could still well be an import, so its important not discount that angle of things still :) 

for example if I was to go over to France and ship a brand new Citroen Ami to myself right now, it would not show any import markers or such once registered since it will be new on first registration here in the UK

so if someone somewhere in 2011 on holiday found a dealer in france with a 406 that had sat around for many years unsold and the person went "yeah ill have that" and imported it into the UK

then it will just have been treated as any other new car being registered for the first time, (but you would still likely get a Declared new at first registration special note, but theres no way to check for that online AFAIK)

on the diplomatic front the MOT history only goes back to 2014 as you say, and nothing prior to when it was new in 2011 (which makes sense given the 3 year allowance)

so I have my doubts that it was a diplomatic car because then I would expect to see prior DVSA history, going back to before the car was registered with the DVLA, but I dont in this case

but I still mentioned it just incase, perhaps incase it was with a different department or scheme or who knows what! :) 

Ahh yes I understand what you're saying re: import. 👍

I had kind of suspected something like that could have gone on, yes you're right there's no import marker but I was thinking more along the lines someone could have imported it and it was incorrectly registered new in 2011 instead of import, which I was saying couldn't be the case as there's no import marker. But I now understand what you mean about it literally being "brand new" when imported and as such not showing as an import (and as you rightly said, most cars are imported anyway!)

I'd love to speak to the owner and find out the story behind it. Although if they're a "normal" person who doesn't give a shite about cars then I might come across as a bit of a nutter for being so interested in how a Pug 406 came to be registered in 2011 😆

• 1 month later...

Sure I've featured this here a few years ago but worth another look as it's still on its late reg. The 52 plate does belong to the Alfa and not the Zafira towing it. IIRC the owner said 2002 is when its last Italian logbook was issued and the DVLA took that as the year of manufacture. Presumably he's still paying for tax as it's officially under 40 years old, so you'd think he'd sort it out and save a load of money.

KW52YZY.thumb.jpg.96522ac1f814508ed8b4c5294902a1b4.jpg

That’s a weird one, it was first successfully MOTd years before being U.K. registered in 2015, with mileage going from 34k to 86k between 2009 and 2018. Could have left the country for a bit before eventual registration I suppose, or maybe a change of instruments/odometer. 

Perhaps there’s a slim chance that it was genuinely first put on the road in 2002, if it had sat unregistered somewhere for three decades? 

7 minutes ago, mk2_craig said:

That’s a weird one, it was first successfully MOTd years before being U.K. registered in 2015, with mileage going from 34k to 86k between 2009 and 2018. Could have left the country for a bit before eventual registration I suppose, or maybe a change of instruments/odometer. 

Perhaps there’s a slim chance that it was genuinely first put on the road in 2002, if it had sat unregistered somewhere for three decades? 

That 2009 MOT is very odd and surely a mistake. I think the owner is Italian and imported it himself from Italy in 2015 so it shouldn't have any previous UK history. The 'mileage unreadable' is strange too so maybe it did have a change of instruments at some point to fix that. Very peculiar all round really and you'd think he'd want to save a lot of money in tax by getting it correctly registered as a 1977 car.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/05/2022 at 21:17, quicksilver said:

A Y-suffix Mini wouldn't normally be anything unusual, except when it's a 1275GT as they stopped making them in August 1980.

PNH236Y.thumb.jpg.16cc630db0231b3021d1613c78b35cf9.jpg

Built in 1979 but not registered until May 1983 for some reason.

its got a used before first registration marker for what thats worth, so possible import from somewhere? or Ex Service car of some kind?

(if it was registered only a few months later it would be on an age related plate!)

as an aside I wonder what the oldest vehicle there is on the newest number plate...

G147BFC is the biggest disparity that comes to mind, but it does not count since its been issued an age related plate

I have seen a few 1940's Military vehicles, ex Wreckers etc on Y plates from when they issued imports and used vehicles current registration marks

I wonder if there where any vehicles from the 1900's registered in 83 on a Y suffix plate LOL

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

its got a used before first registration marker for what thats worth, so possible import from somewhere? or Ex Service car of some kind?

(if it was registered only a few months later it would be on an age related plate!)

It's possible it was originally sold in another RHD market & imported second hand, possibly by someone living abroad.

As you suggest it could have been someone in the forces who bought it while stationed abroad.   This used to be common with personnel in Cyprus as the locally sold cars were RHD & probably avoid some import taxes if used there for a time before being brought to the UK.

On 4/24/2022 at 9:12 PM, quicksilver said:

Sure I've featured this here a few years ago but worth another look as it's still on its late reg. The 52 plate does belong to the Alfa and not the Zafira towing it. IIRC the owner said 2002 is when its last Italian logbook was issued and the DVLA took that as the year of manufacture. Presumably he's still paying for tax as it's officially under 40 years old, so you'd think he'd sort it out and save a load of money.

KW52YZY.thumb.jpg.96522ac1f814508ed8b4c5294902a1b4.jpg

I've seen this one before - owner is Italian and he is refusing to have the reg corrected - I can't remember why but he has a reason for it.

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I've seen this one before - owner is Italian and he is refusing to have the reg corrected - I can't remember why but he has a reason for it.

Maybe, by unbelievable coincidence, the owner's name just so happens to be KW52YZY, and he doesn't want to give up his personal plate?

13 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Maybe, by unbelievable coincidence, the owner's name just so happens to be KW52YZY, and he doesn't want to give up his personal plate?

Mr Kwszyzy sounds more like a Polish name than Italian :)

Wonder why he won't give up that reg so it qualifies for tax and MOT exemption. He must have a very good reason.

51 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Mr Kwszyzy sounds more like a Polish name than Italian :)

Wonder why he won't give up that reg so it qualifies for tax and MOT exemption. He must have a very good reason.

technically it does qualify for the MOT exemption

whatever the DVLA computer says is no concern to the DVSA regulations!

might be interesting when you try to tax it at the post office with a V112 mind...

but its how its been able to get through MOT's without worry for emissions for example despite being a "2002" car

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spotted on Facebook Marketplace:

May be an image of 1 person, car and road

A rather battered Megane II. Only it's a pre-facelift model. Facelift cars seemed to start on an 06. Heck, Megane IIIs started coming out on a 58. I can rule out it having had a front end smack and being repaired with pre-facelift parts as well, they changed a few things including the dash clocks, and the ones in this are defo the older ones.

I know that some manufacturers impose a minimum quota of units to buy and registrations to be made over a time period as part of their franchise standards, so I'm assuming some of these must be a result of demand at the dealership not meeting the required purchase numbers to keep the franchise.

One of our local German dealerships is regularly bleating on about 'fantastic' pre-reg deals, i.e. nobody wants these JRG base spec models that we were forced against our will to buy with awful engine/gearbox combo, and as we were short of registrations this month we had to register the bastards and now we really need them gone!

I wonder if occasionally the odd model slips through the net as it didn't need to be registered at the time and after so long nobody in the management team wanted to work out the loss on it...