Late registration madness

Mash

52 minutes ago, forbeslongden said:

That one is apparently a 2001 , perhaps came over from the Channel Islands 

Which wouldn’t normally generate a non age-related registration mark these days. Sounds like an administrative cock-up, which you sometimes get when a vehicle has previously been registered in multiple countries and a “first date ever registered” can't easily be determined. 

35 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

That's a weird one - German numberplate surround but RHD so is it an import or not? Cazana says manufactured and registered 2011 but there's an MOT on the record from 2006, five years before it was supposedly made!

yeah I talked a bit about it in HMCs thread :) 

On 30/01/2021 at 19:22, LightBulbFun said:

ohh its an interesting one 

when you mention it spent 5 years in the UK before going to Jersey, do you know when this was?

it has an MOT record going back to 2006 and is down as first registered 25th of June 2001

image.thumb.png.a6d78c7ce2585fab0fa9dd279dc6e144.png

but according to the DVLA and looking at it via my special tools, its been registered as if it was a new car in 2011

it has no import/used on date of first registration marker or such and is down manufactured in 2011, as if someone took a new car and registered it so technically not an error on the DVLA side at least

but maybe an error on the person registering it who may have filled in a V55/4 rather then a V55/5!

image.thumb.png.a796ad379b3002b45ea477b5f8ff88ff.png

looks to have had a private plate before 2018 for what thats worth

I have to wonder if it was registered as Diplomatic car/with a diplomatic plate, during its first 5 years here? while they wont show up on the main DVLA checker/any tools they WILL show up in the MOT checker, as the MOT checker is a DVSA thing rather then a DVLA thing which is also why you see record discrepancies from time to time

image.thumb.png.ef60870613ea91df67cbde34b5fa11fa.png

does the V5 have anything in its special notes like "Declared new at first registration" ?

TL;DR, I suspect its a combination of 2 things, one someone filling out a V55/4 instead of a V55/5 when registering it with the DVLA in 2011

and that I suspect it may have been a diplomatic car at some point before then given its previous owner history hence the MOT record from 2006 etc

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

yeah I talked a bit about it in HMCs thread :) 

TL;DR, I suspect its a combination of 2 things, one someone filling out a V55/4 instead of a V55/5 when registering it with the DVLA in 2011

and that I suspect it may have been a diplomatic car at some point before then given its previous owner history hence the MOT record from 2006 etc

That theory makes a lot of sense. It seems likely that it was registered as a diplomatic car in the UK from new, then was exported in 2006/7 (possibly its diplomat owner was posted to Germany and took the car with him/her, hence the German plate surround) and something went wrong when it returned and was registered as a normal civilian car. I've seen it happen before that if a previously-used vehicle is first registered with a cherished plate, when that reg is transferred off it'll be issued with a new one based on the date of registration.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know Ford often continued to sell outgoing models alongside new; I always loved seeing a C plate MK2 Granada on my school run as a boy. In fact I think one or two slipped out on a D?

But I ain’t ever seen a prefix Cortina!

1AEEA740-6AED-4FC3-A6FB-1D5760ABEA44.thumb.jpeg.91e4e23e2070125afabc02a3a6e9adb4.jpeg

Having reread the thread it seems they are a known thing. Had no idea! 

On 24/10/2020 at 13:29, LightBulbFun said:

was idly going back through this thread, now that I have researched the ever loving crap out of the DVLA I was just curious to look back at this thread 

checked this one out, it did actually its original registration, AP25, but it was sadly taken off the vehicle in 1992, and given a G prefix plate based on its date of first registration rather then year of manufacture, clearly must have been done by the same guy that went on to do the "age related" registration for B150SDC when that was robbed of its original plate DWP40 in 2013 LOL

I do love that G147BFC and B150SDC are still wearing their funky registrations, they could have easily requested an appropriate age related plate from the DVLA if they wanted to, but did not :) 

(I do still wonder how private plates would work for such a vehicle, lets say you had the plate G1OLD you wanted to stick on that morris would the DVLA let you, or would it suddenly "snap" and lump you with an age related mark?)

update on this one, sadly someones gone and requested an age related plate for G147BFC, which is now on the age related plate NXS470

but B150SDC is still rocking its late registration madness plate :)

When checking out a partial plate of a Y reg Ford in a photo, I found a Cortina was registed in the same batch of registrations in May 1983.

One of my secondary school teachers had a C reg Mk2 Granada estate.  I've got the feeling Ford made these for a while after the saloons ended production. 

B reg Granadas were hard to spot, like R reg Mk4 Vauxhall Astras.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:38 PM, LightBulbFun said:

update on this one, sadly someones gone and requested an age related plate for G147BFC, which is now on the age related plate NXS470

but B150SDC is still rocking its late registration madness plate :)

Shame, if that was my car I'd definitely have left the G-prefix on as a talking point. So much more interesting than a horrible age-related NXS.

its well known that back in the day (1980s), if you had a vehicle that was on an age-less plate and it was robbed of that plate, then you would likely get an A suffix plate issued regardless of the vehicles age

now some offices even issued B suffix plates in this not age related manner, see EFD326B for example, and I had even heard of C suffix plates being issued in this manner although I have personally not come across any

however while doing some DVLA bashing for invacar reasons, I just came across this

2079808477_Screenshot2021-04-05at20_38_58.thumb.png.81006e378ff4df49efd4f1119fd78968.png

thats right this 1961 Bedford bus or coach was robbed of its plate 41DOB and given MNM399G as a replacement plate!

and its not alone in that regard!

it looks like the MNM-G series was issued to whole load vehicles older and some way older then 1968-1969!

504658357_Screenshot2021-04-05at20_49_19.thumb.png.9f9f243f647e0762fae070cdd93ef696.png

something tells me "age related" was very much not in this LVRO's vocabulary! 

Thanks to my Glass's registration guide I've found some age-related issues on Flickr. 

Often when a car was first registered on a personalised plate, then later this was transferred it would received a new registration from an unissued series which won't be listed in the Glass's book.  At least since 1983 they have at least got the year letter right in most cases.

Normally the age related combinations have followed on from what was originally issued with the same year letter.

18 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

Thanks to my Glass's registration guide I've found some age-related issues on Flickr. 

Often when a car was first registered on a personalised plate, then later this was transferred it would received a new registration from an unissued series which won't be listed in the Glass's book.  At least since 1983 they have at least got the year letter right in most cases.

Normally the age related combinations have followed on from what was originally issued with the same year letter.

My own car went from a 52 (first used October 2002) to an 03 plate after a private plate swap. I think the confusion comes down to it being first used in October 2002 and first registered in June 2003 (it was driven in the UK on export plates from another country between October 2002 and June 2003)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...