Mash

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Mr Laurence said:

Yes it is, which did make me think that it was registered as a new car when it was imported by mistake, but doovla says that it was brought over here in 2001, so I’m not so sure why it’s on an S

bit of a weird one, according to my tools it has 2 records, one says it was first registered in the UK on the 1st of the 5th 1998, and it does not have an import marker the other says it first registered in the UK on the 2nd of the 5th 2001, and it does have an import marker

however both records say it originally had the NI plate PIL4954

so I suspect it was a NI Car, and 2001 is when it was "imported" into England and it got declared manufactured 1998 for some reason, maybe because of its previous 1998 registration in NI

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

bit of a weird one, according to my tools it has 2 records, one says it was first registered in the UK on the 1st of the 5th 1998, and it does not have an import marker the other says it first registered in the UK on the 2nd of the 5th 2001, and it does have an import marker

however both records say it originally had the NI plate PIL4954

so I suspect it was a NI Car, and 2001 is when it was "imported" into England and it got declared manufactured 1998 for some reason, maybe because of its previous 1998 registration in NI

Quite possibly, I believe quite a few Japanese imports come via NI. 

Near where I live, there's an X plate Mk1 MX5. I'll try and get a note of its reg next time I'm around there, I've never seen it leave the owner's driveway so I'm hesitant to take a pic. (I personally don't like photographing cars on owners' driveways, I've always seen it as a bit invasive.)

41 minutes ago, Mr Laurence said:

I never knew that. Is there a reason for that? Are they easier/cheaper to register there?

I'm not sure of the situation now but IIRC about 20 years ago it cost less in import taxes etc to import to NI first then bring into Britain as a car coming from NI isn't classed as an import

• 4 weeks later...