Late registration madness

Mash

When MG Rover went tits up, there was a lot of unsold stock, they took down a lot of dealerships with the company. There was some change in the law (can't remember what it related to) which would have meant the cars couldn't be sold, but they were given special dispensation up until 2008 IIRC so there won't be many registered after that.

I had a 06 plate 25, sadly will be washing machines or something now because it was written off years ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Registered 14th Dec 07 - so it should be a 57 plate!

DVLA Manufactured year is 2006

MG-Rover says built Wednesday, 19th May 2004 @ 21:59:15 and that it's a 2002 model year.

The mystery is solved though as it also says it's a German Export model so the DVLA have done their usual throw-a-dart-at-a-calendar to backdate the registration to a random year

EDIT: German Export, RHD?

http://www.mg-rover.info/vehicle_info.htm?id=UkZMTk1FNEQ3NzY5MTY=&msgtype=info&msgtitle=Success&msg=Here%27s%20your%20info

• 2 weeks later...

What do I win for this 1934 G-prefix Morris then?

post-5267-0-58612600-1524408544_thumb.jpg

DVLA says first registered in March 1990 so I guess it was a barn find with no ID and the work experience kid accidentally issued it with a current reg instead of an age-related one.

What do I win for this 1934 G-prefix Morris then?

attachicon.gifG147BFC.jpg

DVLA says first registered in March 1990 so I guess it was a barn find with no ID and the work experience kid accidentally issued it with a current reg instead of an age-related one.

MOT records say it was built in 1934, but first registered in 1990. Any bets on how many 'Construction and Use' regulations for 1990 does this not conform to?

Just found this thread. My dad's MG TF is a 2006 reg even though it must have been built before Rover went tits up, will have to do the vin lookup thing next time I see him and get the actual dates. Maybe one of the last (proper) ones?

If you know the reg you can get a VIN from various places and head over to the MG Rover site for the build info

Can't remember the full reg and don't think I even have any pictures of it to hand. Seeing the folks at the weekend though so I'll show my dad how to look up the build info then, I'm sure he'll be curious to see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw a recessed headlight Metro on an E plate today, I'm sure they all got flush headlamps long before then.

There were a few J reg Austin Metro vans and hatchbacks about, ex Jersey/Guernsey, IIRC. Think the cars got flush lamps and the commercials stayed with the recessed ones but I could be wrong on that, too. So even more late reg madness, as the Rover Metro was launched on a G plate.

6018567579_0a7bee4bd2_b.jpg

Photo source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8165854@N08/6018567579

Talking of G plate and late reg madness, check out this Strada that tul66 used to own, which he posted in the shite picture thread:

post-18002-0-30137900-1532102659.jpg

I worked for a Skoda main dealer years ago and in late 2001 we were contacted by the manufacturer to say they had "located" three unregistered Felicia 1.3 Classic's at the docks, bear in mind that the Felicia's replacement the Fabia had been on sale for three years at this point, and did we want them?

We had all three, at some knock down price, had to get every one SVA tested as the type approval had expired (this is from memory) before we could get them registered and sold all three in one weekend to some old established Felicia customers.

So somewhere in the system there will be 3 x 51 plate Felicias knocking about. Well maybe there will be. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...