AC Invacar

MajorGav

Hello. Stumbled across an AC Invacar for sale the other evening. Clearly I was actually searching for a Cobra. :oops::wink:

Seller gave me permission to use the images on my blog - see here:

http://petrolblog.com/2010/05/20/what-ever-happened-to-the-ac-invacar/

Check the video out. I'm amazed at how quick off the line these things are. 82mph as well. Amazing!

Cheers,

Apparently some have V5 documents?!?!?

I have visions of government snipers hunting you down though. Kind of like the A-Team music.

In 2003, the AC Invacars were sentenced to death for a crime they didn't commit. Some promptly escaped from a maximum security crusher to the UK underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can buy...the AC Invacar.

I have visions of government snipers hunting you down though. Kind of like the A-Team music.

In 2003, the AC Invacars were sentenced to death for a crime they didn't commit. Some promptly escaped from a maximum security crusher to the UK underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can buy...the AC Invacar.

:lol::lol::lol:

There was (and still maybe) a garage in Shrewsbury that had a few of these kicking about. Tempted to see if they're still there and would part with one.

I wonder if kids still shout 'spack chariot' at the owners?

:lol::lol::lol:

There was (and still maybe) a garage in Shrewsbury that had a few of these kicking about. Tempted to see if they're still there and would part with one.

I wonder if kids still shout 'spack chariot' at the owners?

:D Quite possibly!

Got to be worth a punt at £500 or so. Must have a power-to-weight ratio of something like 200bhp/per tonne!

Bit of a sleeper!

The company I used to work for had all their trucks serviced by this little garage in the Selly Oak area of Birmingham, they were in charge of servicing all the A/C Invacars in the area and would have 20-30 of them lined up outside. In about 2001/02 the law changed and they all had to be destroyed at the end of their "lease" period. Loads of them got trashed. Apparently a big lorry would take them away and a garage employee had to be present at the scrapyard to ensure each one was totally destroyed. I tried to buy one but they wouldnt sell to me as each one had to be accounted for. Apparently some did escape the crusher though, possibly the ones that were already in private ownership when the law was changed.Apparently early ones were a bit slow but the later models had a different engine were very quick!

I did a bit more digging. Invacar Ltd was set up in 1948 by Oscar Greeves who had built a 3 wheeler for his paralysed cousin. Greeves approached The Ministry of Health who realised that there was a desperate requirement to provide many disabled service men and also civilian casualties of WW2 with transport and hence they lighted on the idea of giving them an Invacar as part of their disability benefit.Initially they were powered by air cooled 147cc engines but were built to govt guidelines. Production took place under license (Invacar had no manufacturing facility) and the cars were built in many formats by Harding, dingwall, Barrett, Tippen, Thudersley and Coventry Climax as well as AC.we all know about what happened in 2003 - as most were owned by the Govt they were destroyed however, what is left were privately owned ones. Rumour has it if you want to drive one on UK roads you can PROVIDED it is taxed as a trike and not as an invalid carriage.

I remember them quite well from when I lived in Bexleyheath, there was alot of old people in the area so there was a couple Id see quite a bit. I can understand why they were deemed unsafe, but to just declare it immediatly and not just inforce a phasing out was a bit irrational. Why were they suddenly dangerous, Im sure its no less safe than a mobility cart being driven on the road...

I'm not sure why they were declared unsafe, probably due to poor impact protection or something.... I mean, you're already disabled, what's the worst that can happen? Or maybe it was just to get more people buying mobility cars...

Erm...speaking as someone who is disabled and has a Motability car, quite a lot can happen actually. I'm bound to get flak for this post, but it's actually very unpleasant and unfunny.

I mean, you're already disabled, what's the worst that can happen?

:lol: AC boardroom meeting:"You want to put a bigger engine in that bloody Invacar?! :shock: ""Yeah. I mean, they're already disabled, what's the worst that can happen? C'mon, it'll be a laugh""Hmm, go on then, lol"
Genuinely, that is disgusting. Hope some of your loved ones don't become disabled...

S.H, chill out dude.Surely you can see it's in jest and whilst it might not be everybody's cuppa some of us have disabled people in their immediate family and can still laugh at the comments above?SRSLY doubt anyone on here thinks being disabled is funny but please put your spade away and stop digging.

S.H, chill out dude.Surely you can see it's in jest and whilst it might not be everybody's cuppa some of us have disabled people in their immediate family and can still laugh at the comments above?SRSLY doubt anyone on here thinks being disabled is funny but please put your spade away and stop digging.

I'm sorry, but as I've explained in a PM to Captain Mainwaring, it's something I can't see any fun in at all.

Before Motability became the force it is today, these Invacars were the sole means of transport available to those who couldn't afford to have a "normal" car converted. They were provided by the equivalent of the DHSS.Their problem was that they became very unstable at any sort of speed, and one of the great racing drivers (Graham Hill or Jackie Stewart, I can't remember which) became involved in a campaign about their safety.Motability are actually a charity. You have to be in receipt of the Higher Rate of Disability Living Allowance, then Motability provide you with a car and you pay them your benefit. The car comes on a 3-year lease. What it means is that someone who is disabled has a reliable car to use, and I'm eternally grateful for mine.It just happens that cars are my hobby, so I have a £500 Saab I use at weekends in the summer to go to shows. Without it I couldn't get on to a show field as I can't stand or walk for any length of time, and a '58 Mazda's not what the paying public want to see! :lol: I hope this helps, and people see I'm not trying to cause trouble.

On a serious note, I'll bet that not too many 18 year olds used to borrow their mums Invicar to go cruising aroun Mc Donalds carpark like they do in their mums Motability Corsa. BRING BACK INVICARS!!! I'm really pissed off with people abusing the Motability scheme.

Aye, that motorbility scheme does seem rife for abuse. Mate of mine had a succession of really nice, brand new motors on it that were way beyond his means, because his mum was registered disabled... He never actually drove his ma about in them, like.

You have to be a named driver. If the person who the car is for is unable to drive, he/she can nominate two people as drivers, but the insurance specifically states that the car has to be used on the user's behalf. If the car is being used like you say, the person who has the contract with Motability (a) can have the car taken away, (B) can lose benefits and © will be unable to insure a car for his or her use.My mate who goes to shows with me is my nominated other driver. Nobody else can drive the car, even if they are insured to drive other vehicles, as that invalidates the lease.If you know it's happening, do something about it.The same applies to the "blue badge" scheme. If I'm not in the car, my badge is invalid and the person using it can be prosecuted.Anyone who thinks the scheme is a nice cushty little scam is welcome to my Mazda and my badge if they'll take the disabilities as well.