Just a Few Pictures From Barnet....

Andrew353w

Our P-reg Sherpa still has pressed ally plates front and back from when it was new...

Posted Image

I fancy a set for the Cav, but it's still pretty original - if it'd been a diesel I would've I suspect. I don't like the fonts which are available for pressed plates now, they just don't look right.

SWINE.

Initially your pic link was b0rken, so I went off in search of the pic on Flickr. Imagine my disappointment to discover you were not talking about a 1975 Sherpa. Very angry.

Sorry mate! The Boss always refers to them as Freight Rovers, though P492 VDS is always referred to as "The Red Sherpa". No idea why, as the other red one which is now dead was a 400-series (N281 MNS), which was always "The Red LDV"... he STILL won't have a Transit apparantly!

Thats fantastic, nice spot! Has anyone been to London Waterloo recently and seen the garage near Surbiton with one of these dumped in its grounds? Exactly the same colour as well.

Jerry from the Goodlife (BBC 70's sitcom) drove a yellow Volvo and that was based in Surbiton do you think it nahh.

With regard to the number plate on the Sierra its not unusual to see the pressed alloy plates on 90's cars and are often on lorries/buses and plant but that Sierra has the raised digits plate I dont recall seeing them on anything newer than about a D plate before, agreed the 9's look good and the S's look ace too (smaller at the top than the bottom or it could be the other way round)

I’m pretty sure the front number plate on the Sierra isn’t original, but the one on the back seems ‘early nineties’ authentic enough. I’ve not seen many vehicles past B/C reg which have worn raised digit metal plates in that manner.

Without seeing a side shots of it, that Sierra looks very tidy indeed from those pictures. They’re getting thin on the ground now and it’s a real shame as I think they’re very underrated cars. I also think the 1.8 CVH, although they had the odd issue (like most engines, for that matter), were generally bullet proof if they were looked after from my own experiences. I even liked the way it sounded. I’ve known a few examples to go around the clock twice happily enough and still going strong. My father had an identical 1.8 LX of the same vintage but in Burgandy Red. He bought it in 1996 for £3095 if memory serves me and had it for close to two years. Loved it to bits and it was near enough immaculate. The central locking had occasional 'hissy fits' (which most Fords of this era do - usually down to a door slightly dropping, resolved by closing the offending door with your hand under the handle with a small amount of 'rising' pressure) but other than that it never missed a beat and carted us up and down the land very happily enough. It even survived a few days in the hands of my brother moving his gear (and mates) across to Liverpool when he went to university. Anyone who knows my brother will know any car to last in his hands for almost any length of time without dying is either robust or a rarity...!

The Sierra, in my eyes anyway, is certainly a modern classic which does deserve a lot of recognition - although those with 'Cortinaitis' will still argue the toss...! :wink:

*Anorak mode on* That example is Diamond White with Astral Grey velour interior */Anorack mode off*

• 1 month later...

Been out and about in Barnet again... last time I spotted an old 1950's Rootes van, and have been back to the same place this afternoon and spotted these. I know there are many Rootes fans out there, so enjoy!!

[/img]Posted Image

Image0069 by andrew353w, on Flickr

p><p>And nearby was this lovely Humber Scepter (I think!) No idea what

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4910280313_896767188b_b.jpg' alt='4910280313_896767188b_b.jpg'>

Image0068 by andrew353w, on Flickr

[/img]

And just across the road was this Hillman Minx! Used occasionally, I suspect...

4910881626_9e46cd9bfb_b.jpg

Image0067 by andrew353w, on Flickr

[/img]

4910880858_cb3aa8b961_b.jpg

Image0066 by andrew353w, on Flickr

[/img]

As this was a pedal bike trip, I struggled up one of Barnet's many hills, only to find this collection of Triumphs...

4910884624_f2d5f0cede_b.jpg

Image0070 by andrew353w, on Flickr

[/img]

And this Audi lurking behind them...

4910885858_793dbde303_b.jpg

Image0071 by andrew353w, on Flickr

[/img]

Not a bad collection for an evening's biking round town! I'll post more as and when!