Jump to content

Ford 1.6 diesel "quick, quiet and clean"


Dan302

Recommended Posts

Where were they getting the quick bit from? I don't remember them being any noisier or more polluting than any other coal powered motor from back in the day, but I can remember driving somewhere with my mate's boring dad in an Escort van and fervently wishing I was somewhere else.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a Morris Minor with a 1.6D Escort van engine fitted on a MM group I browse. I can only guess it must be pure torture to pilot. Surely even a tired heavy breathing A series has to be better.

Back in the nineties when these were popular and smoke testing became part of the MOT the leggy ones near me were an absolute bastard to get through.

A doddle to do the cambelt on though as the inj pump was gear driven. I had a bit of a shock the first time I did a 1.8 and found two belts under the cover.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw a few years back a Triumph Stag fitted with a 1.8 TD from a P100. It was awful, hand painted in Hammerite, wiring in engine bay was a right birds nest as well. 

IMG_1491.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20190208_145416.jpg.783623ddd0777436d6209aee20fea38c.jpg

I fitted this1.8 turbodiesel and matching 5 speed gearbox into my FE.

Went surprisingly well,although was slow enough of the mark,but combined with the FE's higher ratio automatic rear axle it could happily cruise along without feeling strained,it once showed 90+(on a private track Cough cough )there was more there,but the old FE wasn't able 🤣

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

20190208_145416.jpg.783623ddd0777436d6209aee20fea38c.jpg

I fitted this1.8 turbodiesel and matching 5 speed gearbox into my FE.

Went surprisingly well,although was slow enough of the mark,but combined with the FE's higher ratio automatic rear axle it could happily cruise along without feeling strained,it once showed 90+(on a private track Cough cough )there was more there,but the old FE wasn't able 🤣

Now that's a half sensible mod.

Keeping a big thirsty70's Vauxhall saloon on the road as a daily ride has to be applauded.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Orion - A59 SHJ - Tax expired Oct 93

Fiesta - A25 SHJ - Tax expired June 97

Escort - A929 SWC - tax expired Sept 97

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

Now that's a half sensible mod.

Keeping a big thirsty70's Vauxhall saloon on the road as a daily ride has to be applauded.

I'm afraid it's driving days are over.....😵

post-5543-0-65622600-1549658593_thumb.jpg

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

I saw a few years back a Triumph Stag fitted with a 1.8 TD from a P100. It was awful, hand painted in Hammerite, wiring in engine bay was a right birds nest as well. 

IMG_1491.jpeg

IMG_1492.jpeg

What a honey!

Where do I sign?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr Ford bloke was comparing the Fiesta with the 205 and missing obvious elephant in the room that the little pug could come in 5 door flavour.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Bren said:

What a honey!

Where do I sign?

On top of the air box cover by the looks of things. The Hammerite over the rusting chrome bumpers is a particular highlight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FB_IMG_1711122183085.jpg.f17a8f3562eb44a9c537730659758473.jpg

I've found a picture of the Fiesta diesel Moggy.

Fair play and respect to anyone that'll go to the effort of engineering a 1.6D engine,Sierra box and MGB rear axle to fit in to a 60 year old Minor but my question is why ?

No one can be that tight that they needed the diesel engines economy over a 1.4 or 1.6 zetec bolted in there instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

FB_IMG_1711122183085.jpg.f17a8f3562eb44a9c537730659758473.jpg

I've found a picture of the Fiesta diesel Moggy.

Fair play and respect to anyone that'll go to the effort of engineering a 1.6D engine,Sierra box and MGB rear axle to fit in to a 60 year old Minor but my question is why ?

No one can be that tight that they needed the diesel engines economy over a 1.4 or 1.6 zetec bolted in there instead.

I’ve no photos as it was a heck of a long time ago but I once saw a S2 XJ6 with a Perkins diesel fitted to it. Can’t have been pleasant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

On top of the air box cover by the looks of things. The Hammerite over the rusting chrome bumpers is a particular highlight. 

The graffiti on the airbox looks like silver hammerite as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Joey spud said:

Mr Ford bloke was comparing the Fiesta with the 205 and missing obvious elephant in the room that the little pug could come in 5 door flavour.

He was at least honest in acknowledging that the 205 was better in every conceivable aspect, and that the benefit for Ford would be the increased number of people buying 205 diesels and then assuming all diesels were that good.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a Mk4 Escort 1.6D and it really wasn't as bad as you'd think. In the taxi trade, the 1.6D Orion was considered better and more reliable than the 1.8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found the 1.6 “ sweeter” than the 1.8 . That really was a slug even in LP turbo form .

Ive had a mk2 fiesta van and a mk4 escort 3dr estate with the 1.6D and both gave fantastic economy and almost acceptable performance . 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sierraman said:

I’ve no photos as it was a heck of a long time ago but I once saw a S2 XJ6 with a Perkins diesel fitted to it. Can’t have been pleasant. 

Didn’t Quantum do a kit car with the 1.8D ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fuck me that Cavalier must have been like purgatory. 0-60 in 20 seconds. Miserable. 

I'll have a 305 diesel please. A much better car than an Onion and quite handsome too. 

The Ford 1.6Ds were cars you were given, they weren't cars you'd choose. I can't think of a decent Ford diesel until they gave in and asked PSA to help. 

I remember a particularly nasty Escort 1.8D pool car I had the misfortune to drive, I punished it by driving it flat out everywhere and it was still slower than most other traffic. Hateful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember my dad borrowing a 1.8D for work, even compared to our 1.6 EMAX Sierra it was rough. The gear lever would be visibly vibrating at idle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, grogee said:

Fuck me that Cavalier must have been like purgatory. 0-60 in 20 seconds. Miserable. 

I'll have a 305 diesel please. A much better car than an Onion and quite handsome too. 

The Ford 1.6Ds were cars you were given, they weren't cars you'd choose. I can't think of a decent Ford diesel until they gave in and asked PSA to help. 

I remember a particularly nasty Escort 1.8D pool car I had the misfortune to drive, I punished it by driving it flat out everywhere and it was still slower than most other traffic. Hateful. 

Nearly all Ford engines in the last 30 years that have been any good were developed by or with someone else 

Zetec - Yamaha 

1.6/1.6 D - Deutz 

2.5 duratec - Volvo 

1.8 Duratex - Mazda 

1.6/2.0 Tdci - PSA 

 

see what happens when they do their own engines - transit duratorq , eco boom …….. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Nearly all Ford engines in the last 30 years that have been any good were developed by or with someone else 

Zetec - Yamaha 

1.6/1.6 D - Deutz 

2.5 duratec - Volvo 

1.8 Duratex - Mazda 

1.6/2.0 Tdci - PSA 

 

see what happens when they do their own engines - transit duratorq , eco boom …….. 

The 1.6tdci up to about 2011 when it was reengineered wasn't very good though, renowned for problems with DPFs, injections, turbos etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Eyersey1234 said:

The 1.6tdci up to about 2011 when it was reengineered wasn't very good though, renowned for problems with DPFs, injections, turbos etc

Every seems to say that but they give me no trouble at all . Couple of egr valves and that’s about it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Every seems to say that but they give me no trouble at all . Couple of egr valves and that’s about it 

I think a lot of the problem comes from people neglecting them, though I have no personal experience of the 1.6tdci

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Eyersey1234 said:

I think a lot of the problem comes from people neglecting them, though I have no personal experience of the 1.6tdci

It is exactly that . Usually the fords fare better than the PSA installations because they had a 12500 mile interval vs 20000 but a lot of them are fitted in bland kiddy cars which never get the washer bottle topped up let alone serviced . 
I look after a couple of early 1.4/1.6 hdis with over 200k on and apart from some injector seals , egr valve and maybe a boost hose they have been solid . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

It is exactly that . Usually the fords fare better than the PSA installations because they had a 12500 mile interval vs 20000 but a lot of them are fitted in bland kiddy cars which never get the washer bottle topped up let alone serviced . 
I look after a couple of early 1.4/1.6 hdis with over 200k on and apart from some injector seals , egr valve and maybe a boost hose they have been solid . 

The only problem I've heard of with the 1.4 is injector seals going, though again I've no personal experience of them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...