Jump to content

Rank Taxi Two. The Octavia Returns! Measuring Discs using a Jack/ GUESS THE MPG 01/05/24


320touring

Recommended Posts

On EDC15 and EDC16 ECUs (Bosch diesel ECUs), VCDS can extrapolate the mileage from the average speed and time. Often when clocked this isn't changed. It can give an indication if someone has been fiddling with the odometer previously and a rough idea of what the true mileage is.

It's on a separate button in VCDS (applications) rather than an option in the ECU directly.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, SiC said:

On EDC15 and EDC16 ECUs (Bosch diesel ECUs), VCDS can extrapolate the mileage from the average speed and time. Often when clocked this isn't changed. It can give an indication if someone has been fiddling with the odometer previously and a rough idea of what the true mileage is.

It's on a separate button in VCDS (applications) rather than an option in the ECU directly.

 

I think using a MK1 eyeball is sufficient to say this is tiert 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 320touring changed the title to Rank Taxi Two. The Octavia Returns! Measuring Discs using a Jack .. 01/05/24

This shakes like a dug shitting razorblades if you apply the brakes with vigour..

 

It's pretty obvious that an overhaul of the front brakes including :

stripping and cleaning the calipers/sliders

replacing pads

replacing discs

new fluid

 

would have a most advantageous effect upon retardation of the vehicle.

 

with this in mind, a key element was identifying what size of disc was fitted to the front of this tub.

As it's a taxi special MK1 (1U code) built 5 years into the MK2 Octavia build time, details are a bit sketchy. I was fairly sure it had 280mm front discs, but it felt prudent to review before parting with actual cash.

the plan was simple - pull a hubcap, remove a wheel and measure.

The reality was somewhat more taxing..

The hubcap came off ok.

The first wheel bolt was tighter than @sierraman - taking the bouncing of all of my 10* st to loosen it.

The others were no better, but eventually, 80% loosened off ok.

The final 20% required a specialized approach..

PXL_20240501_165503746_MP.jpg.f4e19759e790ce77d41d7bd415d910d3.jpg

Despite looking a bit sketchy, this worked a treat .

Wheel off, and 280mm discs confirmed.

The decision was taken to clean the wheel bolts and apply a little copper slip before tightening them back on by hand - thereby ensuring they can be removed using the wheel brace if needed.

Similar was done on the other side, so now I need to get the discs ordered up.

 

Additionally ,  the tank was filled after 696miles. 

Anyone want to guess on the MPG?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 320touring changed the title to Rank Taxi Two. The Octavia Returns! Measuring Discs using a Jack/ GUESS THE MPG 01/05/24
1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

Somewhere between 45.2 and 48.68 mpg depending how brave you were in running it down to empty.

I had to luz 10L into it to get to payday. It's all included in the calculation.

 

The light works, but it's still only a 55L tank😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 320touring said:

I had to luz 10L into it to get to payday. It's all included in the calculation.

 

The light works, but it's still only a 55L tank😜

I somehow decided it would be a 70l tank.

As such I revise my guess to 52.58mpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

It's absolutely commendable that such improvements have been made on this old tub. It looked fit for the bin when you got it and it'll be not far off a wedding car before you've finished.  

 

Similarly I'm amused and surprised and now quite glad the scrapyard told me to fuck off.

 

Sorry about the wheel studs, that'll be bunny's tyre fitting trainee again. Is the tyre a landsail?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, beko1987 said:

70mpg like any other diesel shitbox surely? 

 

11 hours ago, sierraman said:

63mpg

 

10 hours ago, loserone said:

27mpg?

 

I drove it up on fumes+£10, so probably pretty high

 

10 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Somewhere between 45.2 and 48.68 mpg depending how brave you were in running it down to empty.

 

9 hours ago, 320touring said:

I had to luz 10L into it to get to payday. It's all included in the calculation.

 

The light works, but it's still only a 55L tank😜

 

9 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

49mpg

 

9 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

I somehow decided it would be a 70l tank.

As such I revise my guess to 52.58mpg

 

9 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

69.6 mpg for me in the sweepstake

 

9 hours ago, Supernaut said:

51.3mpg

 

And the winner is....

 

Screenshot_20240501-1700252.png.cd440d39dba653d88b419fa33c4e89df.png

@Dave_Q !

 

Well done.

 

I checked the tyre pressures when fuelling it up - 22-24psi seemed to be the ballpark.

They're now at high 30s so 60mpg can't * be far off😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jim Bell said:

It's absolutely commendable that such improvements have been made on this old tub. It looked fit for the bin when you got it and it'll be not far off a wedding car before you've finished.  

 

Cheers man. It's cheap motoring, and actually a comfortable place to be as long as you account for it's age and miles. I enjoy things like this that don't need too much effort but end up with a useable car.

1 hour ago, scaryoldcortina said:

Similarly I'm amused and surprised and now quite glad the scrapyard told me to fuck off.

 

Sorry about the wheel studs, that'll be bunny's tyre fitting trainee again. Is the tyre a landsail?

I expect similar should I ever scrap it😜

 

No worries re the wheel bolts - better to find out now rather than on the hard shoulder! 

Aye, land sail(ING right into the hedge)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Watching with envious eyes... I absolutely love Mk1 Octavias, so much so that I've sourced and supplied two of them for my younger brothers (One each)

Andy has the doom blue number fitted with the legendary ALH VE TDI 90 that's sitting at around 220k, and young Tommy has a povo spec SDi in silver. That one's a relative baby having covered a mere 120k.

Here's a shot of them both sat on my drive next to a giant pile of rubble awaiting an oil change last year (Both are still in regular daily use)

20230901_095307.thumb.jpg.f40c4dc708878dd7cc834efec62e3b14.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...