Bavarian Unicorn Collection Thread - Manual 540i Touring

Schaefft

Awesome. 

I once went to look at a 540 saloon at a bombsite dealership in Houston.  When i got there the windows had stopped working half open and the interior was getting very wet.  They hadn't got it out despite me calling and arranging a test drive so I gave it a swerve.

Got to be one of the best Bavarians ever for me, what more could you want?

3 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Awesome. 

I once went to look at a 540 saloon at a bombsite dealership in Houston.  When i got there the windows had stopped working half open and the interior was getting very wet.  They hadn't got it out despite me calling and arranging a test drive so I gave it a swerve.

Got to be one of the best Bavarians ever for me, what more could you want?

It sure is a great combo, pretty much as good as it gets really unless you want to add a supercharger for more power. And yeah @Dave_Q, the gearbox alone is worth close to 2 grand on a good day as it really is identical to that of the M5. I think it was the preferred choice for a manual swap in Mk4 Toyota Supras, too. Do the swap there and you are probably adding 5-figures to the value of a clean twinturbo example, so well worth it. The diff is very desireable, too and the cats are obviously worth some decent money as well. The idiot who won it on ebay wasn't living in the UK and apparently didn't check what it would cost to get it shipped over, obviously to probably break it.

Unfortunately thats the problem, most people in the UK dont seem to have the foresight that these cars will be valuable eventually. They already are everywhere else in the world and a car like the manual 540i will appreciated exactly the same way desireable E30 have done in the past. And to be fair, most manual 540i Tourings are already in the 5-figures even in the UK, they are usually in near-prestine shape though. This might be one of the last ones that hasn't seen that kind of attention yet.

And as a quick comparison: There's currently a single E39 540i Touring with the manual for sale on mobile.de. There are 56 E39 M5s. And the seller of mine couldn't even find a buyer at 4350 quid here. It just boggles my mind.

I want to book it in with Ed from the 777 garage relatively soon (if he has the capacity to do the work). He's got a youtube channel showing the work he does on these cars and is well know in the community, I think he'll be the right guy for it.

6 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

£4350? Bargain

I ended up paying 4k for it🤐 That same amount will probably go into it again sorting out all the mechanicals and suspension though. And then there's the cosmetics.

• Like 3