Stretched Shite

Was checking out a Maserati on a car site for a mate, found this wonderful thing:

Posted Image

Rover 827 SLi Limousine

Pretty dreadful eh! It's all about the details - I especially like the hubcaps, my dad had the same ones on his J-reg 214. I suppose Alan Partridge would be ferried around in this back in his "Knowing Me, Knowing You" heyday. The two-tone paint is also pretty dire, colourcoded bumpers, lovely.

Just £2500 (!) will secure you this level of prestige.

• 2 months later...

A few more of BL's hideous "coachbuilding" partnerships with Coleman-Milne & Woodhall-Nicholson...

Starting in the 80's, and this is just.... NO!.... only 8 made, thankfully - been 1 bangered that I know of:

Posted Image

Presumabley this monstrosity was the predecessor:

Posted Image

Been a couple bangered - there was a white one on the road in north shropshire that I used to see regularly in the late 90's

And finally, before that, stop-gap model austin "in that blandcrab actually looks kinda cool" shocker FTW!

Posted Image

Only one has been banger raced that I'm aware of, way back in 1999 - so there must be some more hiding out there somewhere!

I used to work as a mechanic for the council were we had a couple of stretched Colman Milne Mk2 Grannies. Where they put the extra bit it they extend the twin pipe exhaust system and it was all a bit shoddy so when one needed replacement I thought I could do better. So I adapted a Beford TK down pipe filled it with wet sand, heated and bent it to shape, made up fittings, it was the nuts. Unfortunaley with the Lady Mayoress on route to a function it became completely stuck fast on a speed bump due to my extreme engineering :)

I hope that the incident brought home to the Lady Mayoress, and indeed to the rest of the Council, what a f***ing stupid idea speed bumps are?

They were relatively rare then but it must of registered

Afraid the only picture of a 3-litre limo I can find is a banger one - there's been about 3 of them raced I believe, and I think around 8 were made but not sure... there were also coachbuilt estate, ambulance & hearse versions, all mega rare - the ambulances were used for "high speed transfer" of patients between hospitals in the days before the air ambulances.

Posted Image

About 3 years ago I was down on the south coast with a mate picking up a well shagged HA Viva for 50 quid to banger race, and we were priviledged to see a 3-litre limo, hearse & ambulance all parked up together behind the blokes workshop - although the place had a banger connection, I don't think these were heading for the track, although they would have needed work to go back on the road... not sure what happened to them, but I hope they survived.

Ultimate stretched shite, Checker Aerobus, give me an acre and I'll turn it around :lol:

Posted Image

Yeah they are pretty cool - never thought I'd see one in the Uk, until last month...

Posted Image

I know the bloke who raced it, and he said the car had been parked up in the coventry area mouldering away for some time before he managed to get hold of it for racing.

Takes a bit of work to make then not look like they're sagging in the middle - even if they actually aren't, I think there's a bit of a visual trick needed in the roofline.

This one's a bit on the angular side:

Posted Image

Glenfrome were trying to get Nissan's approval, but it wasn't forthcoming due to Type Approval issues (I have some correspondence about it). I haven't yet heard of one for definite, even on the track.

I saw a 3-litre ambulance in Ipswich years ago, parked up in a multi-storey. Possibly saw it again in PC a while later. I did get a very poor pic (and this was way pre-Autoshite) but it'll take some finding.

Some stretchies at the 2001 Firecracker:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image